Primasprit

Supply and supply levels explained

Tue Aug 05, 2008 6:23 pm

Copied from a larger thread about supply and supply levels - Rafiki

How the Supply Levels are calculated.
The examples are taken from the first turn of the Pequot Indian War scenario.

Boston:
City Lvl. 2
Harbor Lvl 2
Weather: Frozen
CivLevel: Cleared, Road
Supply Level = 15

Providence:
Settlement Lvl 1
Harbor Lvl 1
Depot Lvl 1
CivLevel: Cleared, Track
Supply Level = 27

Hartfort:
Settlement Lvl 1
CivLevel: Cleared, Track
Supply Level = 5

Structures:

First question: How much supply does the structures give? You can learn this by checking the files which define the structures. They can be found in ...\WIA\GameData\Structures\.

For example the file 3City.str (an excerpt):

Code: Select all

[...]
IsCity = 1
[B]Supply = 5[/B]
FillAmmo = 1
MoneyCost = 50
[...]
The interesting line is Supply = 5. This means the city provides 5 Supply Level (in the manual also called Supply Chips). FillAmmo means that a city also produces ammo (which means that the city provides "full Supply Chips")

Please note: The tooltip in the unit panel tells how much Supply Points a force needs and stores, the city and region tooltip tells you how many Supply Chips = Supply Level the region provide.
1 Supply Chip = 5 Supply Points and, if the structure can provide it, 2 Ammo Points.

According to the definitions, structures (Lvl 1) provide supply (Supply Levels):

City: 5 + Ammo
Harbor : 2 + Ammo
Fort: 10 + Ammo
Depot: 20 + Ammo
Settlement: 5

Terrain and Weather:

Additional to what the structures produce, the regions itself can offer some supply too. This is defined in the terrain definitions. These can be found in \WIA\GameData\Terrains\

[font=Verdana]Lets for example check the supply level of clear terrain for different weather. Again, the line "Supply =" gives the answer.

An excerpt of the file:
[/font]

Code: Select all

{Frozen}
[...] 
Harshness = $Harsh
FatigueLevel = $NotHarsh
[B]Supply = 0[/B]
HideBonus = 0
MaxRange = 4
[...]
So this means in frozen conditions a region of clear terrain gives no supply!

All supply levels for clear terrain (Supply Level):
Clear: 4
Mud: 2
Snow: 1
Frozen: 0

Civ Level:

The infrastructure has some impact on supply too. A road adds for example 1 Supply Level. In wild regions the Supply Level is reduced by 30%.

Lets go back to the examples:

Boston:
City Lvl. 2 = Supply Lvl: 2 * 5 = 10
Harbor Lvl 2 = Supply Lvl: 2 * 2 = 4
Weather: Frozen = Supply Lvl: 0
CivLevel: Cleared, Road = Supply Lvl: 1
If we add the numbers: Supply Level = 15

Providence:
Settlement Lvl 1 = Supply Lvl: 5
Harbor Lvl 1 = Supply Lvl: 2
Depot Lvl 1 Supply Lvl: 20
CivLevel: Cleared, Track = Supply Lvl: 0
If we add the numbers: Supply Level = 27

Hartfort:
Settlement Lvl 1 = Supply Lvl: 5
CivLevel: Cleared, Track = Supply Lvl: 0
If we add the numbers: Supply Level = 5

BTW:
- Every crate in the supply map filter stands for 3 supply level.
- If needed supply can also be drawn from adjacent regions.

Cheers
Norbert

Edit [lodilefty]: Further claifications

1. Both the tooltips & crates in the filter refer to the total gross general supply points in the region. Any forces you have that use this supply are ignored by both the tooltips / crates calculations. To check whether your forces in any particular region have enough supply you have to look at the forces info, neither the tooltips or crates will tell you that. In effect the tooltips / crates are a 'GROSS' total of all supply available in the region, not a 'net' total once useage has been subtracted.
  2. In the supply filter the color coding shows 'NET' supply. Eg. How much surplus supply is left in a region after subtracting current useage by forces present.
  3. While forces can draw supply from adjacent regions this additional supply DOES NOT show up on either the tooltip or crates calculation for the central region that you are looking at. Eg. there is NO consolidation of multi-region supply in the tooltip / crates calculations.

squarian
Brigadier General

Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Supply is endlessly confusing to me - I've read the above and other posts here, but I still don't understand some crucial points.

Sequencing/Priority
When is supply checked in the turn? If a force begins a turn with insufficient supply in an area, will it suffer the attrition/combat penalties in that same turn? Or is supply checked at the end of a turn, in which case it's possible to move back into supply before attrition hits?

Secondly, suppose there are four units. One is in the field in a region, one is inside a structure in that region, one is adjacent to that region, and one is a naval unit in port. The supply available in the region is insufficient for all four. How does the game determine who gets the available supply? In other words, what is the order of priority?

Adjacent Regions
Is all supply from an adjacent region available to land (and naval) forces, or is there some proportional reduction - and if so, what is it?

Looting/Pillaging
What is the specific effect of pillaging on a land region - does it reduce the region's available supply, or supply produced by structures in the region, or both? Is this effect reflected in what is shown in the tooltip or supply screen? If not, should I assume that if a region has a "pillaged" indicator, it's supply is 0 despite what the tooltip says?

Harsh Weather
The figure for supply given in region (hex) tooltips is gross, but is it modified for weather? Or in bad weather is it necessary to remember to modify the figure given to determine actual supply levels? If so, what is the multiplier? Does bad weather affect the supply produced by structures or just the supply produced by the region?

Naval Transport Supply
According to the manual, "naval transport units may be used to transport and distribute supplies (both General Supply and Ammunition) to friendly land units and structures located in adjacent coastal regions. This
method of distributing supplies is similar to that used by Supply Wagons."

How does this work exactly? Presumably, this supply is not included in the tooltip/supply screen gross amounts. Presumably a naval unit will supply land forces in the same region (when in port), not just adjacent ones? Will land forces automatically draw supply from transports in adjacent river/coastal regions, or is it necessary to adjust some settings somewhere (ROE)? Will bateaux provide supply this way? Do the naval units need to be stationary for the entire turn?

Naval Supply
Likewise, naval units are supposed to be able to supply themselves (general but not ammo) from an adjacent land region - does that mean the integral supply produced by the region alone, or supply produced by structures in the region as well? Will a naval unit collect supply from land regions adjacent ot its path of movement or only from regions adjacent to where it begins (or end) of a turn? Or will it draw supply only if stationary for the entire turn?

arsan

Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:41 pm

squarian wrote:Supply is endlessly confusing to me - I've read the above and other posts here, but I still don't understand some crucial points.

Sequencing/Priority
When is supply checked in the turn? If a force begins a turn with insufficient supply in an area, will it suffer the attrition/combat penalties in that same turn? Or is supply checked at the end of a turn, in which case it's possible to move back into supply before attrition hits?

Secondly, suppose there are four units. One is in the field in a region, one is inside a structure in that region, one is adjacent to that region, and one is a naval unit in port. The supply available in the region is insufficient for all four. How does the game determine who gets the available supply? In other words, what is the order of priority?

Adjacent Regions
Is all supply from an adjacent region available to land (and naval) forces, or is there some proportional reduction - and if so, what is it?

Looting/Pillaging
What is the specific effect of pillaging on a land region - does it reduce the region's available supply, or supply produced by structures in the region, or both? Is this effect reflected in what is shown in the tooltip or supply screen? If not, should I assume that if a region has a "pillaged" indicator, it's supply is 0 despite what the tooltip says?

Harsh Weather
The figure for supply given in region (hex) tooltips is gross, but is it modified for weather? Or in bad weather is it necessary to remember to modify the figure given to determine actual supply levels? If so, what is the multiplier? Does bad weather affect the supply produced by structures or just the supply produced by the region?

Naval Transport Supply
According to the manual, "naval transport units may be used to transport and distribute supplies (both General Supply and Ammunition) to friendly land units and structures located in adjacent coastal regions. This
method of distributing supplies is similar to that used by Supply Wagons."

How does this work exactly? Presumably, this supply is not included in the tooltip/supply screen gross amounts. Presumably a naval unit will supply land forces in the same region (when in port), not just adjacent ones? Will land forces automatically draw supply from transports in adjacent river/coastal regions, or is it necessary to adjust some settings somewhere (ROE)? Will bateaux provide supply this way? Do the naval units need to be stationary for the entire turn?

Naval Supply
Likewise, naval units are supposed to be able to supply themselves (general but not ammo) from an adjacent land region - does that mean the integral supply produced by the region alone, or supply produced by structures in the region as well? Will a naval unit collect supply from land regions adjacent ot its path of movement or only from regions adjacent to where it begins (or end) of a turn? Or will it draw supply only if stationary for the entire turn?

Wow! That's a lot of details you ask for! :blink:
Really, i don't have clue about 90% or this... Never asked it to myself.
I guess it will take a developer to answer much of this :bonk:

I just can answer some things, and mostly are just guessing...

- Supply is calculated at turn start not at turn end for what i know.
- Supply tooltip already accounts for winter/ looting ... at least i think have seen different supply numbers on a region when winter/looting happens.
- Never seen naval units supply themselves from adjacent regions. they must be at a port to get supply from a region for what i know.
- When ships carry units aboard they share supply with them. Not sure if they give supply to adjacent regions. Never tried... It supposedly works like this in AACW, but not sure if it's also applicable to the WIA supply model. :confused:

Cheers!

squarian
Brigadier General

Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:11 pm

Thanks, arsan - I guess that was a lot of questions! :w00t:

I'll keep an eye open and hope a well-tanned and rested developer turns up in a few days. ;)

squarian
Brigadier General

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:01 pm

Anyone? Anyone?... naval transport can provide supply to... Anyone? Anyone? Adjacent or not?... Does it work? Anyone? Anyone know the effects? Today we have a similar debate over this. Anyone know what this is? Class? Anyone? Anyone? Anyone seen this before? Bueller?

arsan

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:22 pm

I think you will have to do an end of course work about this. ;)
Do some testing and present the results to the class! :D

lodilefty

Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:51 pm

Sorry, missed this.

WIA uses the 'simple supply' model, where no supply is accumulated turn to turn. Additionally, no 'forwarding' occurs,as in AACW, NCP [or upcoming RoP ;) ].

Some supply is obtained by Land units from adjacent Land regions.

AFAIK, Naval Units have to go to port to resupply.
Apparently, not enough crew or Marines to forage ashore ;)
:mdr:

Need dev confirmation.....
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Daniel_Morgan
Corporal

Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:35 pm

arsan wrote: - Supply tooltip already accounts for winter/ looting ... at least i think have seen different supply numbers on a region when winter/looting happens.

I have been playing WIA this week instead of AACW and this is exactly waht appears to happen. The number is different ( and lower) once a region is pilliaged or in winter weather.
"I intend to make Georgia howl". -William Tecumseh Sherman

Narwhal

Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:09 pm

I tried to do a small explanation on supply level here :

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?545321-Wars-in-America-A-how-to-AAR/page3

Post #49.

It seems that

- Some depot only bring 10 supply levels ?
- Frozen or not, ports always bring 2 supply level / level

Paul Roberts

Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:16 pm

As I seem to have forgotten, could someone clarify for me the meaning of brown regions in the supply map overlay? (The overlay shows green, red, and brown.)

Durk

Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:11 am

Brown just shows regions which will not be so happy to send you supply. That is, mixed control.

w_michael
Conscript

Re: Supply and supply levels explained

Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:16 pm

The values used in the original example are out of date. I reviewed the files in the Structures folder, version 1.10e QP 2, and found the following supply values:

Harbour: 2 full SC per level
Fort: 4 full SC per level
Depot: 12 full SC per level
City: 3 full SC per level
Indian Village: 2 basic SC
Settlement: 3 basic SC
Stockade: 2 full SC

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”