MadAnthonyWayne
Civilian

Spies

Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:10 am

How do spies work? The manual states that spies "improves the detection of enemy units (except Irregulars) within the Theatre by reducing Evasion Level by -1." However, "Theatre" is not defined in the manual. Is theatre the same as region or does it mean a larger land division? [Edit: Just searched the manual for "Theaters" and found the definition. Still interested in hearing the answers to my other questions, below, however.]

Also, do spies work best alone or as part of a stack? I figure that they are afforded some protection as part of a stack, but then they lose most of their stealthiness. For example, if I want to scout an enemy force, would it be best to send a spy or an Irregulars unit? What if I wish to scout an enemy structure to see what enemy units might be inside?

I hope that these questions are not too simplistic or have been answered elsewhere, but I could not find any mention of it either in the manual or with a forum search. I am currently playing the demo, but plan to download the full game in the near future. Thank you for your assistance.

lodilefty

Sun Aug 03, 2008 10:56 am

AFAIK,the spy functions with very high detection ratings, which work the same as any other unit. The 'Master Spy' ability adds to this, giving a large area of detection. Not sure about an 'entire Theater'....

I'm not sure there is a 'best way', but here's "My Way", for what it's worth ;)

I never put a spy in a stack. They have an extremely high 'evasion rating' that would be useless in stacks. When moving, I put them in 'passive [green] and turn on 'evasive move'. Never been caught yet. I leave them inpassive, and outside structures so they can escape any enemy attacks. They can starve and take damage in winter like any unit, so be sure they winter in a region with a structure.

The very high detection ratings allow me to put the spy in a region adjacent to the 'matter of interest'. I see pretty much everything about enemy stack that way.

Spies also have high naval detection, so I also try to put them adjacent to a 'port entry' sea region, to see if any blockade forces are there...

So for example: I put Paul Revere in either Cambridge or Bedford to keep an eye on the British in Boston and Massachusetts Bay...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

MadAnthonyWayne
Civilian

Sun Aug 03, 2008 6:45 pm

Thank you for your reply. :)

Not putting a spy in a stack makes the most sense to me, also. Especially if evasion rating is modified because the stack is a "Large Force," etc.

Actually, when I thought of my question, it was specifically in reference to Master Spies like Paul Revere. The manual does state that Master Spies reduce the evasion level of all units in a theater by -1. That does seem like a lot of territory!

I assume that evasion is a different concept from detection? How well can a spy "see" enemy units from a distance? For example, in my current game, Paul Revere is in the same theater as a British stack, but is several regions away. I can see the stack is commanded by a colonel and has two units in it, but I don't know any more details. Will I learn more if I move Mr. Revere closer to the stack?

Thank you again for your help.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”