GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Question about Frech&Indian War scenario

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:08 pm

I never played the FYW campaign and I think I will gove it a go soon.

I have a simple question which is harder: French or British?

Secondly, is it harder or easier than the Independence War scenario? I ask because I just recently started that over and found it to be a bit easy.

arsan

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi!

Against the AI, i think its better to play as the Brits.
They have more troops (not at the beginning, but they have a clear advantage once the scenario develops) but also have to take the initiative and conduct campaigns in difficult terrain (wilderness, harsh winters, difficult supply situation...)
The French side is a little like the CSA on AACW. Outnumbered but with great leaders, and with a mostly defensive strategy (with lots of raiding and harassing thrown in). I think this suits better the AI, considering his limitation in long term planning.
Cheers

EDIT: if you want more difficulty, try with the hardened activation rule (inactive leaders stacks are locked) and give the AI some activation advantage (+2 or so) so she is not penalized much with the activation lock.
It should make things much more interesting ;)

Ebbingford

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:31 pm

Also don't forget to play with the historical attrition option on for the human player only....... Watch that supply :D

Carnium

Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:59 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:Secondly, is it harder or easier than the Independence War scenario? I ask because I just recently started that over and found it to be a bit easy.

US or the British side ?

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:11 pm

Carnium wrote:US or the British side ?

British Side, so far.

TiFlo
Captain

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:28 pm

For the FIW, what Arsan said.

Play the British, stay on the defensive (mind you, a firm one) and be patient for the 1st half of the war, and you'll end up quietly steamrolling the French all the way to the St Lawrence valley with little trouble.

Play the French, make good use of your excellent leaders and your Indian allies to wreak havoc by striking as hard and as fast as possible early on, and you'll be dining in New York by 1757.
[CENTER]« Quel pays ! Quels hommes ! Quelle guerre ! Non, ma chère maman, votre enfant n'est pas fait pour habiter cette contrée barbare. »
[/CENTER]
[CENTER] Louis-Antoine de Bougainville, 1758
[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[CENTER][color=DarkGreen]WIA 1.05 Patch[/color]
[/CENTER]

arsan

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:29 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:British Side, so far.

With the latest patch tweaks to help the 1775 Brit AI, playing the Americans should be pretty interesting :thumbsup:

lodilefty

Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:50 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:British Side, so far.

Which should be easier since we'll assume you avoid the brain-freeze and arrogance that cost George his colonies :wacko:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2009 12:04 am

Ok so I take it I should play the FIW as the British, cause it's harder, with strict activation and activation bonus for the AI.

I am not sure about hardened attrition though.

lodilefty wrote:Which should be easier since we'll assume you avoid the brain-freeze and arrogance that cost George his colonies :wacko:

And I was already wondering what I am doing wrong, considering how easy it is to control Ft. Ticonderoga, Yorktown, Norfolk, Norwalk, Newport, Wilmington, Falmouth, Berwick, .. Game has hardly begun and I think I can take Richmond in a few turns. Still have to defeat the continental army, but it must be terribly weakened, so far they have seen defeat after defeat in their fruitless attempts to capture back some of their cities.

Now that so many new troops appeared (Cornwallis, a small army paid with EPs in Halifax, Burgoigne should be on the way too) I am giving the rebels a year at maximum.

Good to know that I can expect more of a challenge as rebels.

Carnium

Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:16 am

After you are done with this, try the War of 1812. Should be interesting from both sides ;)

GlobalExplorer
AGEod Veteran

Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:59 am

Carnium wrote:After you are done with this, try the War of 1812. Should be interesting from both sides ;)

Interesting. But I dont like short campaigns. Is there a simple way to make it run longer, so I can capture more territory? I have no problem if it involves modding a few files, just need a tip where to look .. If someone could link to a thread in the mods forum it would be enough.

Carnium

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:25 pm

GlobalExplorer wrote:Interesting. But I dont like short campaigns. Is there a simple way to make it run longer, so I can capture more territory? I have no problem if it involves modding a few files, just need a tip where to look .. If someone could link to a thread in the mods forum it would be enough.

This is not really a short campaign as it is one of the three full campaigns that are in this game.
I have no idea how to make it last longer, but lodilefty has, as he has done it before ;)
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11141

lodilefty

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:33 pm

Carnium wrote:This is not really a short campaign as it is one of the three full campaigns that are in this game.
I have no idea how to make it last longer, but lodilefty has, as he has done it before ;)
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=11141

15 day turns in a Campaign would be an interesting mod...

You'd need to use the Spreadsheet -> csv -> csvsplitter -> compile method.

It would be interesting to see how the supply ratio method holds up over a campaign.....

Not on my list right now, but good for a budding modder ;)
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Ebbingford

Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:55 pm

I am not sure about hardened attrition though.

It's a must to have this on, makes it so more challenging.

You have to watch the weather more and look out for the size of the stacks and supply they are using, especially over winter. A force can dwindle away if not supplied enough even if sitting somewhere you thought would be ok. IE have too large a stack on a city with a depot, even if there is enough supply for the unit to be getting plenty each go. If your stack is not at full supply then you don't recover hits to your elements, so if your supply is say 40 out of a max of 200 and it's only getting replenished by 10 a go, then that force will still be losing men to attrition and getting weaker all the time when you think it should be getting stronger.!!!! It won't start recovering until your supply is 200.

Supply is the king of campaigns.

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”