Ian Coote
Major

Fort William Henry

Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:17 am

Has anybody here visited Ft.Wm.Henry on Lake George? I've heard some say its the most beautiful lake in America.Usually when I get the chance we visit civil war battlefields,but this game has got me wanting to visit FIW and Revolution sites.I think the Saratoga Battlefield is also nearby.Anybody been,are they worth a visit?

Hobbes

Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:47 am

I would love to visit that area one day. Being from the UK it's quite a trip though. I have managed to see Fort Snelling in MN and Fort Michilimackinac which were both very interesting places to visit.

Cheers, Chris

Siekster
Sergeant

Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:10 pm

I grew up in upstate New York, got a chance to go see Ft. Niagara and have seen the Mohawk Valley countless times, but at the time didn't appreciate it like I would now. I have heard great things about the Adirondack region of New York, and would love to go visit that area. Just got done visiting Syracuse, which would amount to being close to the "Onondaga village" in WIA :-)
"You underestimate my powers!!!"

-Anakin Skywalker, moments before jumping and having three of his extremities hacked off by a lightsaber...

Bearcat
Civilian

Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:29 pm

Hi, I grew up in Lake George NY, part of the orginal stone fort still stands in the sate park, But there is a wood fort that is a tourist attraction next to the park. Lake George is the second cleanest lake in the States next to crater lake. About hour north on route 9 there is Fort Ticonderoga. Also other points of interest is spread out like bloody pond where the Indians attacked the retreating British from Fort William Henry.

richfed

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:24 am

The nearby stone fort was Fort George ... FWH - the replica - stands more or less on the original location.

The lake and area are gorgeous!
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

orca
Lieutenant

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:24 am

Fort Niagara is spectacular on a clear day. Not to be missed, and of course almost everyone who goes to the Niagara region does miss it.

lodilefty

Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:52 pm

Don't overlook Ft. Stanwix in downtown Utica. Well done [for being in center of a city] and good treatment of the history. Oriskany is not far east of town, too...

I love NY :coeurs:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Ian Coote
Major

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:53 pm

Yes, I've been to Fort Niagara and Fort George {War of 1812} on the Canada side,both very impressive .Supposed to go to Gettysburg last week of April to check out the new visitor center,but now thinking of changing it to Lake George.I hate having to make these kinda choices. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Siekster
Sergeant

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:56 pm

Ian Coote wrote:Yes, I've been to Fort Niagara and Fort George {War of 1812} on the Canada side,both very impressive .Supposed to go to Gettysburg last week of April to check out the new visitor center,but now thinking of changing it to Lake George.I hate having to make these kinda choices. :confused: :confused: :confused:

Go to Lake George, if only to avoid driving on those abysmal Pennsylvania roads!!! :wacko:

-Anakin Skywalker, moments before jumping and having three of his extremities hacked off by a lightsaber...

rilie
Civilian

Saratoga Campaign

Wed Jan 07, 2009 6:17 pm

As a correction Ft. Stanwix is located in Rome, NY a few miles from Utica.

That being said it's a great park and recreation of a period lod stockade!

The entire Saratoga Campaign makes a great trip and you can reasonably visit all the important sites in a one week trip. At a minimum you'd want to visit:

Fort Stanwix
Oriskany Battlefield
Saratoga Battlefield
Bennington Battlefield
Fort Ticonderoga

This is a great trip and you can really get a feel for the campaign in the realtively short period of time, assuming you do some reading ahead of time!

lodilefty

Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:48 pm

rilie wrote:As a correction Ft. Stanwix is located in Rome, NY a few miles from Utica.
<snip>

Of course! :bonk:

Memory gets very fallible with age :( :blink:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

richfed

Fort William Henry Site

Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:53 am

Ian Coote wrote:Has anybody here visited Ft.Wm.Henry on Lake George? I've heard some say its the most beautiful lake in America.Usually when I get the chance we visit civil war battlefields,but this game has got me wanting to visit FIW and Revolution sites.I think the Saratoga Battlefield is also nearby.Anybody been,are they worth a visit?

You guys might enjoy this part of my Mohican Press web site: http://www.mohicanpress.com/fort_william_henry_report.html
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Adam the VIth
Lieutenant

Fri Jan 09, 2009 5:21 pm

lodilefty wrote:Don't overlook Ft. Stanwix in downtown Utica. Well done [for being in center of a city] and good treatment of the history. Oriskany is not far east of town, too...

I love NY :coeurs:

Stanwix is in Rome, NY, isn't it? A bit to the east of Utica (1 hour I think).

Oh, sorry, already noted.

....and what's this comment on Pennsylvania roads? I can order up more potholes if there are not enough for you! :mdr:

FM WarB
Colonel

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:12 pm

It's not the potholes I object to, it's the King's tollboothes. A short drive north of Bennington is the Hubbarton battlefield (the only Revolutionary war battle fought IN Vermont).

Siekster
Sergeant

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:26 am

It's their road work crews that kill me more than anything. There's always some sort of road work going on (typically near Scranton) and they cone off 10 miles of road for a couple guys walking on the shoulder......

Return to “BoA2: Wars in America”