[color="Blue"]Union:[/color]

President: Rafiki, Stonewall
Western Com: Jimwinsor
Eastern Com: [color="SeaGreen"]Spharv2[/color]

[color="Gray"]CSA:[/color]

President: NewAgeNapolean, Hinkel
Western Com: Geronimo
[color="Red"]Eastern Com:[/color]

Come on guys! Don't tell me no one in this forum wants to play General Lee!!
Stonewall? Hinkel??
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:32 am

So god will...

General Lee reporting for duty! :indien:
I though a president role would be easier for a "newbie".. :siffle:
But i can handle it!!!

For Virginia!!!

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant
Location: Born and raised in Lincolnton,NC, currently living in Honolulu,HI

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:54 am

I too would be willing to go up against one of the "old guard" on the fields of Northern Virginia and Maryland. :king: Use my services as you see fit. :feu:
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:36 am

Hinkel wrote:I though a president role would be easier for a "newbie".. :siffle:

Well, given the time the game has been out, anyone who hasn't been a beta-tester is by definition a newbie, I'd say :)

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:37 am

[color="Blue"]Union:[/color]

President: Rafiki
Western Com: Jimwinsor
Eastern Com: Spharv2

[color="Gray"]CSA:[/color]

President: NewAgeNapolean
Western Com: Geronimo
Eastern Com:[color="SeaGreen"]Hinkel[/color]

Waiting list: Stonewall, Marecone

Ok, we're ready. I'm going to send you a PM for you to send me your email. Please think to any special rules you might want to use during the game.
:cwboy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Stonewall

Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:43 am

I'm looking forward to reading this. Good luck everyone! And happy writing!

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:09 am

FYI, "Old Guard" Beta testers are guys who were already helping us in the Beta test of Birth of America. :p apy:

I'm sure Young bloods can make them swear... :dada:

:niark:

Rafiki

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:05 pm

The Union is in need of a commander of the navy. Is there anyone who'd like the job? Perhaps Stonewall or marecone? It won't be just about shifting ships to-and-from blockades... ;)

Korrigan, just to be sure how this'll work (please correct me where I'm wrong):
- Each person involved will write an AAR; one thread per person
- Any and all communication within a team will be via the AARs? Or will each team have a "conferance/command"-thread?

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:31 pm

Uhm, i thought we will play a full civil war campaign starting april 1861!
I think march 1862 is a bit to late (to form your own armys for example) and the CSA lost some good advantages.
Who's for an April 1861 campaign? :cwboy:
[CENTER]The Grand Campaign project[/CENTER]
[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

geronimo
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:11 pm

as a masochist, i must protest against 1861 campaign..let the blue coats a chance to inflict me some pain :niark: ...all the way the fact that north is more powerful is just a tactical problem that is not less fun than an equilibrium between sides

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:21 pm

While Im not against an 1861 cam. I feel that the time constraints are already great enough as it is. As it stands now, even if we manage two turns a week, its going to take us a minimum of 6 months to complete this thing. Thats a lot of hours even for someone who has nothing to do all day(like me), but Im up for anything.

Besides, our best leaders are just coming into their own and we will have the opportunity to inflict some real damage if we do this right :king:
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

geronimo
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:43 pm

the project is a way to show the game to people and starting in 1862 is way to be in stuff fast...1861 scenari are a bit soft, especially if tasks are divided between several people
[CENTER] The Great Campaign Project [/CENTER]
[CENTER] CSA Western Command [/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:30 pm

I agree with Geronimo. In any case, when this turns out to be a success, future iterations can try out the other scenarios, including Apr '61 :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:48 pm

Okay okay, so 1862 will be fine. (A good year for the CSA.. 2nd manassas, fredericksburg... :) ).

@ Rafiki

You started a thread in the AAR forum. I think Korrigan will make a special sub-forum or thread for our AAR's, right? I hope so... :)

[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Apr 27, 2007 2:52 pm

Hinkel wrote:You started a thread in the AAR forum. I think Korrigan will make a special sub-forum or thread for our AAR's, right? I hope so... :)

If there'll be a sub-forum, it's easy to move it there. There needs to be at least one AAR-thread for each side, so I figured I might as well get it started. If it is the only thread for our side, I'll edit the text accordingly :)

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:11 pm

Plenty of questions:

A] Game settings:

1) Yes. 1862, we want some actions quick!

2) Proposed home rules
a- You can't use single element militia for any offensive puposes. Garrison duty only (force teams to use frontline units for offense and will slightly offset the union players numerical advantage)
b- You can't relegate crappy army or corps leaders to non active areas just to avoid using them( no sending Burnsides to California or Hood to southern Florida). This will give the southern team the early advantage in leadership it deserves.
c- Inactive leaders can move freely in friendly territory and one only one region in ennemy territory.

Is this ok for everybody? anything more?

3) We'll be always running the last game version (current is 1.02).

B]AARs and communication

1) In order no to flow the AAR room, I'm going to create a special room for the Grand campaign. You can create your AAR thread meanwhile (just like Rafiki did), I will move them to the Grand campaign room. Please begin your thread by [UNION] or [CSA] (I can rename them if you've already created your).

2)All communications are to be made through a special headquarter thread (one for each side). Roleplay will be compulsory (no "move your stack there", no screenshots). The only threads you can read will be your AAR and you headquarter. You must not read other players AAR (including your fellow countrymen ones).

3) Technically, nothing can prevent a rogue player to read the other side AARs or headquarter. Except that this would ruin all the fun and that I'll ban him if I happen to remark it. Actually, I think all of you are strongly commited players so I don't think there is a risk.

4) You're expected to write a comment in your AAR about the way you see the conduct of the war at least once/2 turns. Think about it as personnal notes for your campaigns memories. It's not a classic AAR with just descriptions. Obviously, presidents AAR are the most important. Screenshots are allowed in personnal AARs

C] Organisation

1) Team mates are allowed to write each other mails til the game begins in order to arrange for strategic plans and time schedule for exchanging the ORD file. Just tell me who receives the ORD file first. No fixed deadline for the first turns, time to get things organised.

2) Tip: Plan 48 hours as an average for each player orders in your team. In setting the order in which you'll pass to each other the turn file, take in account different geographical locations.

3)You can mail me anytime.

4) Vacations well be dealt with inner team replacements or summer truce [August 1st-15th]

gwgardner
Brigadier General

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:42 pm

Great idea.

What are the command/control rules? Are theater commanders bound to follow presidential orders? And if they disobey, what are the penalties?

Rafiki

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:46 pm

Korrigan wrote:Plenty of questions:

A] Game settings:

Hehe :D
Korrigan wrote:2) Proposed home rules
a- You can't use single element militia for any offensive puposes. Garrison duty only (force teams to use frontline units for offense and will slightly offset the union players numerical advantage)

Sounds good.
Korrigan wrote:b- You can't relegate crappy army or corps leaders to non active areas just to avoid using them( no sending Burnsides to California or Hood to southern Florida). This will give the southern team the early advantage in leadership it deserves.

OK. This will have to be at the front commanders' discretion, but the intention is clear so we'll avoid the most "gamey" assignments Image
Korrigan wrote:c- Inactive leaders can move freely in friendly territory and one only one region in ennemy territory.

Sounds good.
Korrigan wrote:Is this ok for everybody? anything more?

Not that I can think of
Korrigan wrote:3) We'll be always running the last game version (current is 1.02).

Yup. I see no reason not to. At all :)
Korrigan wrote:B]AARs and communication

1) In order no to flow the AAR room, I'm going to create a special room for the Grand campaign. You can create your AAR thread meanwhile (just like Rafiki did), I will move them to the Grand campaign room. Please begin your thread by [UNION] or [CSA] (I can rename them if you've already created your).

Yes, please.
Korrigan wrote:2)All communications are to be made through a special headquarter thread (one for each side). Roleplay will be compulsory (no "move your stack there", no screenshots). The only threads you can read will be your AAR and you headquarter. You must not read other players AAR (including your fellow countrymen ones).

Sounds good
Korrigan wrote:3) Technically, nothing can prevent a rogue player to read the other side AARs or headquarter. Except that this would ruin all the fun and that I'll ban him if I happen to remark it. Actually, I think all of you are strongly commited players so I don't think there is a risk.

Indeed. I don't view this as a contest where winning the war is the main goal*. It's about a unique gaming experience where having fun and entertaining our audience (at least, I hope there'll be an audience ;) ) is what we're aiming for :)

[SIZE="1"]* Do note, however, that winning is a goal, just not the main, supreme one ;) [/size]
Korrigan wrote:4) You're expected to write a comment in your AAR about the way you see the conduct of the war at least once/2 turns. Think about it as personnal notes for your campaigns memories. It's not a classic AAR with just descriptions. Obviously, presidents AAR are the most important. Screenshots are allowed in personnal AARs

Sounds good.
Korrigan wrote:C] Organisation

1) Team mates are allowed to write each other mails til the game begins in order to arrange for strategic plans and time schedule for exchanging the ORD file. Just tell me who receives the ORD file first. No fixed deadline for the first turns, time to get things organised.

Sounds good.
Korrigan wrote:2) Tip: Plan 48 hours as an average for each player orders in your team. In setting the order in which you'll pass to each other the turn file, take in account different geographical locations.

OK. As for me, I'm on central European time (Norway). Where are the Union generals located?
Korrigan wrote:3)You can mail me anytime.

Likewise. It is rare that a day passes without me checking my e-mail; usually a lot more.
Korrigan wrote:4) Vacations well be dealt with inner team replacements or summer truce [August 1st-15th]

I'll be bringing my laptop on my vacation in late May/early June, so the only time I'll be out of touch will probably be the days I am in transit (to and from Switzerland)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:59 pm

Good rules!

Are there any "anti cheating mechanism" like press next turn to see the other side and then closing without saving?
In pbem games of strategic command, there was a password protection for each side!

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 4:52 pm

Let me clarify that rule suggestion concerning single element militia units. You can use them in friendly territory any way you see fit. For example, to attack a roving cavalry unit because in my mind this is still a defensive operation, i.e. your are trying to drive invaders from your territory. When I say offensive I mean it in the truest sense of the word, invading enemy territory and fighting on their turf.

geronimo
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:08 pm

ok for all rules proposed

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:14 pm

gwgardner wrote:Great idea.
What are the command/control rules? Are theater commanders bound to follow presidential orders? And if they disobey, what are the penalties?

The only limits are roleplay and team spirit (Lincoln was always arguing with his generals anyway :niark: )

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Fri Apr 27, 2007 5:34 pm

Everything is fine with me except the militia special rule. I see problems with it.

One, I think it's going to hurt both sides in the Transmississippi, and make that front unusually peaceful.

Second, the thing about them being able to fight in friendly territory, but not "invade" enemy territory, hmm..this could be a problem, in that one common use of militia (that I do anyways) is pacification missions. Ie, I'll send a stack of militia into an empty but enemy controlled province (usually behind my lines), to use their Police rating to convert control. The militia special rule would seem to bar this sensable use.

And trying to craft a rule that seperates such sensable use from non sensable use seems like it would get overly complicated. But I'll go along with the majority here!

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2007 6:58 pm

Fair point.

Perhaps NewAgeNapolean could precise what was the exact kind of gamey tactics he wanted to prevent in order to rephrase this home rule (or drop it altogether). I guess this had something to do with a kind of "militia flooding" strategy?

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:29 pm

Another question regarding the militia rule: would Texas Rangers be covered by it?

As a possible revised militia rule, how about treating them just like the unactivated leader special rule - free move in friendly territory, must stop in first enemy region?

Matter of fact, I would not mind applying this rule simply to all leaderless forces...doing it this way, we would not only stop a "militia swarm" but a sharphooter swarm, a marine swarm, a sailor swarm, or many other variant swarms we can deviously come up with.... :innocent:

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:44 pm

Korrigan wrote:Fair point.

Perhaps NewAgeNapolean could precise what was the exact kind of gamey tactics he wanted to prevent in order to rephrase this home rule (or drop it altogether). I guess this had something to do with a kind of "militia flooding" strategy?

Basically yes. My primary concern was the Union team using its abundant resources to field armies in the field that check our main forces, then buying a horde of cheap militia to "flood" our interior. But as most of the campaigners seem to disagree with me I am willing to drop it completly. Possibly Jims post holds the solution, or maybe we should just rely on each other not to attempt unrealistic manouvers?

Spharv2

Fri Apr 27, 2007 7:59 pm

Korrigan wrote:Plenty of questions:

A] Game settings:

I agree. If anything earlier, the July start in '61 would be much better, then at least we'd both have some organized forces and it wouldn't just be a couple of weeks of build up.

Korrigan wrote:2) Proposed home rules

Yeah, the "Any offensive purposes" needs to be toned down a bit. But I agree with the idea, though running around taking things with militia is a good way to get a lot of militia killed. :)

Korrigan wrote:b- You can't relegate crappy army or corps leaders to non active areas just to avoid using them( no sending Burnsides to California or Hood to southern Florida). This will give the southern team the early advantage in leadership it deserves.

For the South's benefit, you might modify this a bit. Seeing as how the Union can launch amphibious invasions at any time, letting the South keep generals of any quality behind the lines should be okay, so long as they actually do command a somewhat significant number of troops. When playing as the South, I usually have at least one or two forces sitting in the Carolinas and Alabama that are able to quickly move to defend against invasions. If you have to send leaders all the way from the front lines, it could delay your response a bit too much. Remember, any general is better than no general.

Korrigan wrote:c- Inactive leaders can move freely in friendly territory and one only one region in enemy territory.

I like that one, even if it is going to kill us. :)

Korrigan wrote:2)All communications are to be made through a special headquarter thread (one for each side). Roleplay will be compulsory (no "move your stack there", no screenshots). The only threads you can read will be your AAR and you headquarter. You must not read other players AAR (including your fellow countrymen ones).

How about hand drawn maps instead of screenshots? :niark:

I'm in Florida, in the Eastern time zone. Usually working until early afternoon, and I'm usually up pretty late.

geronimo
Sergeant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:20 pm

Spharv2 wrote: How about hand drawn maps instead of screenshots? :niark:

i like that idea...but more easily is just to write...hmm i am just hilarious to see misunderstood in orders or plans applications...wonderful

so i propose that in the headquarters sections, we forbid the use of ingame screenshots

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:38 pm

OK, two choices:

- Inactive leaders and troops without leader can not move more than one region into ennemy territories (pro CSA rule)

or

- No rules, players just don't use gamey tactics (pro Union rule)

For generals, I rather like Lee's guideline: Generals guarding the rear must command a significant ammount of troops.

Game will start monday, enjoy your last hours with communication allowed to introduce yourself to your team mates and plan few things. Don't forget to decide what will be the order for ORD file transmission.

Hand drawn maps will be allowed in the headquarter... :cwboy:
(I suggest you use an historical map of the States to draw your plans).

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:46 pm

I think if we use the first special movement rule, we wont need a rule for leaders. Even the worst leader would be valuable (even McC activates occasionally), too valuable to keep in some obscure place.

Return to “Grand Campaign I (archive)”