Hinkel
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:53 pm

Korrigan wrote:
Hand drawn maps will be allowed in the headquarter... :cwboy:
(I suggest you use an historical map of the States to draw your plans).

I've experimented a bit with formel letters to the president. It can look like this :)

[CENTER]Image [/CENTER]
[CENTER]The Grand Campaign project[/CENTER]
[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:56 pm

Korrigan wrote:OK, two choices:

- Inactive leaders and troops without leader can not move more than one region into ennemy territories (pro CSA rule)

or

- No rules, players just don't use gamey tactics (pro Union rule)

How about a compromise; leaderless troops and any troops containing militia cannot move more than one region into enemy territory.

"Enemy territory" defined as regions which are > 50% enemy controlled, I gather?
Korrigan wrote:For generals, I rather like Lee's guideline: Generals guarding the rear must command a significant ammount of troops.

Game will start monday, enjoy your last hours with communication allowed to introduce yourself to your team mates and plan few things. Don't forget to decide what will be the order for ORD file transmission.

Suggestion, send the ORD to everyone on that side, then whoever is quickest does their moves first and sends the updated ORD to everyone, and so forth till everyone has made their orders. That way, there is less risk of waiting unecessarily for someone? If one doesn't mind sending/receiving mail, to avoid concurrency issues, when someone "starts", they send a mail to that effect so that the others know that they can hold back till they get an updated ORD-file from that person.

(Hmmm.... my explanation makes it sound a bit complex than it actually is, hones :) )

Do note that I haven't tested the whole PBEM/ORD-thingies myself yet, so I can't say for sure if it can work that way
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:58 pm

Hinkel wrote:I've experimented a bit with formel letters to the president. It can look like this :)

[CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

That's impressive! (especially the look of it, but also in the fictionality of the content... ;) )

Care to share a howto for putting it together?

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Rafiki wrote:That's impressive! (especially the look of it, but also in the fictionality of the content... ;) )

Care to share a howto for putting it together?

Thank you :)
You just need the blank letter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Caesar84/blank.jpg

Then you can fill it with staff and text,using photoshop for example.

[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:23 pm

Hinkel wrote:Thank you :)
You just need the blank letter:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v281/Caesar84/blank.jpg

Then you can fill it with staff and text,using photoshop for example.

Very nice....looks like I'm going to need to get an editor of some kind to keep up with you guys. :)

Pocus

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:11 am

Hinkel wrote:Good rules!

Are there any "anti cheating mechanism" like press next turn to see the other side and then closing without saving?
In pbem games of strategic command, there was a password protection for each side!

you have only your turn, not the host file (hosting done by Korrigan I suppose), so this is not possible. Remember, this is a WEGO system, not a IGO-UGO.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:14 am

always send the file zipped, it prevents their corruption (some mailers like to insert carriage return in text files)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:43 am

Rafiki wrote:How about a compromise; leaderless troops and any troops containing militia cannot move more than one region into enemy territory.

Nah, we need something simple.

"Enemy territory" defined as regions which are > 50% enemy controlled, I gather?

Yep, regions displaying an ennemy flag.

I strongly recommand you to read closely the PBEM paragraph in the manual.

1) All of you are to download WINRAR, because I'll be sending the TRN file under this format, and you'll have to pass each other files under this compressed format (to avoid files corrpution by mailers).

2) I'll send its TRN file to each side . So all of you are able to generate an ORD file for your side. The only question is "Who begins?", "Who is second?" "Who finishes and sends the file back to Korrigan?"
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant
Location: Born and raised in Lincolnton,NC, currently living in Honolulu,HI

Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:53 am

Ok. Just to clarify, heres a list of the rules we will use as I have gathered from everyones posts.

1.Inactive leaders are allowed complete freedom of movement in friendly territory (50% control or higher) but are only allowed to enter one enemy territory (49% control or lower) per turn.
Question: Are inactive leaders allowed to conduct amphibious invasions?

2.Movement of leaderless units into enemy territory and use of ineffective leaders will be regulated by good gamesmanship and maintaining the spirit of the AAR. Like Rafiki, I also want to win, but writing enjoyable and realistic AARs to showcase the game are the primary goals to me.

3. Official team communications must maintain the spirit of roleplaying. No screenshots are allowed.

These all sound good to me. Helping play balance for the CSA a little while keeping it simple. If anyone wants to add anything else please do so. I would also like a few questions answered:

1.How do we handle leader promotions? Is this for each team to decide individually? Is it an executive decision? Theater commanders discretion?

2.HQ unit creation. Does executive move them to there respective theaters? Do theater commanders? Is this up to each team as they see fit?

As you can see these two things tie in together and I basically asking if I(pres.) am allowed to do these things to avoid inter-theater conflicts. Its fine with me if these types of decisions are up to each team.

Also agree that is whithin executive powers to temporarily assign naval units to theater commanders to ease transportation operations but this is up to Korrigan since he assigned navy to executive (might require the operstions to be jointly carried out to stress communication difficulties of carrying out multi-service operations.

We need to hash out a turn order and my inexperience in this area keeps me from commenting on it. Maybe one of our more experienced players can make a suggestion here. I am located farthest west (Hawaii) so maybe I should be last. I need some clarification on how this works Korrigan.
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:03 am

OK, I'm going to give an example for the Union

1)I process the turn:
2)I send to Spharv2, Jimwinsor and Rakiki the Union Turn (under a RAR compressed format).
3)All of them can read turn,see what happened, and talk about it in the Union Headquarter.
4)Sharv2 makes the orders for his troops and saves them by generating a ORD file ("save turn" button). He then sends his ORD file to Jimwinsor (after having compressed it with WINRAR)
5) Jimwinsor pasts and copies Sharv2's file in his AACW\Saves\Grand campaign archfile. Then he loads the turn and he can see Spharv2's orders. Jimwinsor gives orders to HIS troops and saves them (by pressing "save turn" button). He sends the new ORD file to President Rafiki (same procedure).
6) President Rafiki loads the turn with the new ORD file. He can sees both Spharv2 and Jimwinsor orders. He can then gives his orders to the Union navy, and manages the country's military-industry complex according to what needs he perceived. He saves the new ORD file, compresses it and sends it to ME.
7) Once I get both nations orders, I process the turn. Back to 1.

You can get WINRAR from here(free download)
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:32 am

NewAgeNapolean wrote:1.How do we handle leader promotions? Is this for each team to decide individually? Is it an executive decision? Theater commanders discretion?

2.HQ unit creation. Does executive move them to there respective theaters? Do theater commanders? Is this up to each team as they see fit?

Basically, it's up to each team. But for simplicity and roleplay sake, I would recommand:
- Presidential authorisation
- Commanders execution

Also agree that is whithin executive powers to temporarily assign naval units to theater commanders to ease transportation operations but this is up to Korrigan since he assigned navy to executive (might require the operations to be jointly carried out to stress communication difficulties of carrying out multi-service operations).

Only the conduct of local river operations (ex: Grant's western campaign). can be delegated to commanders by Presidential order. Communication difficulties should spice a bit the Grand Campaign project.

I want to stress out that this is the first time such a project is conducted, so we are creating standards here. We might tune them later. :cwboy:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 28, 2007 10:43 am

FYI:
In order to avoid spoilers, only the actors of the Grand Campaign project will be allowed to post in this forum.
Obviously, the audience will be able to comment the game in the regular AAR forum.

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:27 am

Korrigan wrote:FYI:
In order to avoid spoilers, only the actors of the Grand Campaign project will be allowed to post in this forum.
Obviously, the audience will be able to comment the game in the regular AAR forum.

Check... :)
Good idea, thanks!

btw: (Whats up with the map? ;) )

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Apr 28, 2007 11:45 am

This kind of crafted map will be allowed in exceptionnal occasions:

But please use historical maps as much as you can in the Headquarter, I'm sure you can find plenty on the web.

Rafiki

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:22 pm

There is still room for a navy commander on the Union side (Korrigan has OK'ed it). Anyone interested? Stonewall and marecone have expressed interest earlier in taking part in this, I've seen :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

marecone

Grand AAR

Mon Apr 30, 2007 1:24 pm

I just wanted that it looks even better then what I excepted of it :coeurs: . I wanted to drop you all a line there but it looks like outside posts are disabled there.
Anyway, great job guys.

P.S. Korrigan, I am not sure that placing it in separate forum is the best way. I did have much difficulties finding it :bonk:
Just my two cents
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

tc237
Colonel

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:22 pm

Korrigan,
Can you start a Grand Campaign Public Forum?
So that we can post comments.
You guys are doing an excellent job so far.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:48 pm

I guess we players probably would not be allowed to peek at the public comments forum, either. :siffle:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:06 pm

tc237 wrote:Korrigan,
Can you start a Grand Campaign Public Forum?
So that we can post comments.
You guys are doing an excellent job so far.

What would you suggest:

- To create a thread in the AAR Forum
- To create a subcategory in the Grand Campaign forum?
- To create a forum as such (I don't like this one)

In any case, players would have to step away of this spoiler heavy thread... unless, we create two threads: One for comments, one for supporters and exchange with the GC players :cwboy:

tc237
Colonel

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:21 pm

- To create a thread in the AAR Forum---Might be best solution
- To create a subcategory in the Grand Campaign forum?---no, to dangerous, observers might get confused and unintentionally post comments in a GC thread
- To create a forum as such (I don't like this one)---agree

In any case, players would have to step away of this spoiler heavy thread... unless, we create two threads: One for comments, one for supporters and exchange with the GC players :cwboy:

That is the problem, how to prevent spoilers. :bonk:
We might have to look around at other forums with a robust AAR community to see how they do it.

If anyone knows how to set this up please help :p leure:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:39 pm

OK here are the final home rules (so far):

1.Inactive leaders are allowed complete freedom of movement in friendly territory (50% control or higher) but are only allowed to enter one enemy territory (49% control or lower) per turn;
Note: Leaders at sea are always active

2.Movement of leaderless units into enemy territory and use of ineffective leaders will be regulated by good gamesmanship and maintaining the spirit of the Grand Campaign project (no gamey tactics);

3. The Navy is lead by the President but the command of some river boats can be delegated to field generals for the conduct of local river operations (ex: Grant's western campaign). This will have to be explicit.

4. Official team communications must maintain the spirit of roleplaying. No screenshots are allowed. However, sketch on historical map are encouraged (for the good understanding of the audience).

5. Personnal AARs can't be read by other players. Screenshots are allowed.

Reminder: NO mail communication (even a simple "don't forget my HQ" when transmiting the ORD file.

Option: Every two turns, each team will be allowed to publish its public "newspaper" post to give (true or false) war reports (and taunt the opposing side) :king:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:43 pm

tc237 wrote:- To create a subcategory in the Grand Campaign forum?---no, to dangerous, observers might get confused and unintentionally post comments in a GC thread

Actually no, they would not be able to do that, as Marecone put it: non players can't post the Grand campaign forum. But I can create a sub-category in it (just like the Officers room) where they would be able to post. However, a subcategory is less visible than a solid thread in a popular forum.

On the other hand, in a subcategory with no-thread creation privileges, we could imagine one thread: "exchange impressions with GC players", one thread "Union supporters" (for Union players only, to meet their fans :niark :) and one thread "CSA supporters" (the same for the South).

But this might be overcomplicated, perhaps we might just start by keeping on writing in this present thread :innocent:

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:02 pm

Writing these newspapers might be something the spectators here can do too. Kinda like the discussion forum idea for them, but with a role play aspect to it. :sourcil:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:31 pm

Why not... great danger of spoiling though... spectators have direct access to all infos...

But if there is a volunteer, why not one or two official reporters...

I rather liked the taunting and intoxicating possibilities if you were to write these none the less.

Director
Sergeant

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:56 pm

I'm lost. Where is it?

bboyer66
Conscript

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:46 pm

Director wrote:I'm lost. Where is it?

Im with you where did the AAR section of the forum go?

bboyer66
Conscript

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:49 pm

bboyer66 wrote:Im with you where did the AAR section of the forum go?

Found it, it is now in the war room section of the forums

Rafiki

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:58 pm

Just make sure that things are explicit so that now we're underway, we don't go stumbling into places we're not supposed to :)

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 01, 2007 8:47 am

Union Turn is IN. Everything went without problem. :cwboy:

BTW: We move to 1.02a

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

The Grand Campaign Project

Tue May 01, 2007 9:15 am

Hi all,

The aim of this projet is to set 6 players in the role of the original AVW actors, to recreate the communication problems when they had to make choices and to give fun for all the community.

[SIZE="5"]Grand Campaign project [/size]

Scenario: 1862
6 Players
Rythm: 1 turn/week
Current version is: 1.07f with Division HQ rule still active

[color="Blue"]Union players[/color]

Abraham Lincoln (Rafiki)
  • Politics, Economy, Reinforcements, Replacements
  • Command US Navy
Eastern theater CiC (Spharv2)
  • Command Union armies in the eastern theater

Western theater CiC (Jimwinsor)
  • Command Union armies in the western theater

[color="Red"]CSA Players[/color]

Jefferson Davis (Andrew Kurtz)
  • Politics, Economy, Reinforcements, Replacements
  • Command CSA Navy, raiders and partisans
Eastern theater CiC (Hinkel)
  • Command CSA armies in the eastern theater
Western theater CiC (Geronimo)
  • Command CSA armies in the western theater

Special rules:

1.Inactive leaders are allowed complete freedom of movement in friendly territory (50% control or higher) but are only allowed to enter one enemy territory (49% control or lower) per turn;
Note: Leaders at sea are always active

2.Movement of leaderless units into enemy territory and use of ineffective leaders will be regulated by good gamesmanship and maintaining the spirit of the Grand Campaign project (no gamey tactics);

3. The Navy is lead by the President but the command of some river boats can be delegated to field generals for the conduct of local river operations (ex: Grant's western campaign). This will have to be explicit.

4. Official team communications must maintain the spirit of roleplaying. No screenshots are allowed. However, sketch on historical map are encouraged (for the good understanding of the audience).

5. Personnal AARs can't be read by other players. Screenshots are allowed.

Return to “Grand Campaign I (archive)”