Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

The Grand Campaign project: Call to volunteers

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:08 am

Hi all,

The aim of this projet is to set 6 players in the role of the original actors, to recreate the communication problems when they had to make choices and to give fun for all the community.

[SIZE="5"]Grand Campaign project [/size]

Scenario: 1862
Players: 6 slots
Rythm: 1 turn/week

[color="Blue"]Union players[/color]

Abraham Lincoln
  • Politics, Economy, Reinforcements, Replacements
  • Command US Navy
  • Write the Union AAR
Eastern theater CiC
  • Command Union armies in the eastern theater
  • Write his own AAR

Western theater CiC
  • Command Union armies in the western theater
  • Write his own AAR

[color="Red"]CSA Players[/color]

Jefferson Davis
  • Politics, Economy, Reinforcements, Replacements
  • Command CSA Navy, raiders and partisans
  • Write the CSA AAR forum
Eastern theater CiC
  • Command CSA armies in the eastern theater
  • Write his own AAR
Western theater CiC
  • Command CSA armies in the western theater
  • Write his own AAR

Note:
  1. CiC names may vary according to players choices
  2. Theaters limits are presidential choices
  3. Players are forbidden to read other players AAR (including their own side)
  4. All communications are to be made in a dedicated public thread created in this forum (no phone, no private mails :niark: )
  5. Roleplay is compulsory :cwboy:

Procedure:

I will do the hosting until the webhost module is ready
I will send each side turn file to the 3 players
Inside each side, the first player will pass his orders, then send the ord file to the second player, etc. The last player sends me back the file to be processed (players order is up to them, holydays replacement too, if a player quits it's up to the two remaining to recruit)

Obviously, long term commitment is crucial to take part in this campaign.

[SIZE="5"]Applications are open NOW![/size] :dada:

Applicate in this forum for the chosen role
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

marecone

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:16 am

EXCELLENT IDEA :coeurs: !
Union side please. Either western commander or perhaps Lincoln. I can wait to see what other players would like and then take what is left over on Union side.
Can't wait :cwboy:
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Rafiki

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:30 am

Wow! This is a grand undertaking if I ever saw one.

Unfortunately, the time I have available for non-work/non-family varies wildly at times, and I wouldn't want to screw things up for the rest by not fulfilling the job involved. Perhaps a minor role, if such comes to be? E.g. if Lincoln would like a Chief of Navy?

marecone

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:35 am

Since I have been playing forum and email based ACW games with human admins I have some expirience and few suggestions.

- in order to stick to history and make this war better I suggest we use historical communication.
For example, generals always signed their letters with something like:
Your most obedient servant
General B.F. Butler
US Army
or similar.

- president was adressed as Mr. President

- also I suggest that theatre commanders play under the name of highest ranked officer in their theatre.
commander in Chief called Marecone sounds wierd :niark:

Just my two cents
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:42 am

I can't think of a better way to play this and would enthusiastically enlist for whatever role desired, but it seems that players more experienced than myself and able to commit to returning a file within 24 hours (which I cannot always promise) are required here. So, alas!, I have to decline. But a great project, and I am looking forward to reading the AAR's. :hat:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:44 am

Rafiki, Go for Lincoln!

Economy management does not ask for this much time in AACW, if you take only the US Navy, you'll spend more time opening the game and sending you mail than actually passing your orders :sourcil:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

marecone

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:46 am

Heldenkaiser wrote:I can't think of a better way to play this and would enthusiastically enlist for whatever role desired, but it seems that players more experienced than myself and able to commit to returning a file within 24 hours (which I cannot always promise) are required here. So, alas!, I have to decline. But a great project, and I am looking forward to reading the AAR's. :hat:

I belive nobody can promise 100% to send files in 24 hours period. I know I can't.
Anyway my elistment doesn't mean that you need to be expirienced. Plus, I still have finished only one campaign :sourcil: so I am not so expirienced.
So... your call :sourcil:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:53 am

Heldenkaiser wrote:it seems that players more experienced than myself and able to commit to returning a file within 24 hours (which I cannot always promise) are required here.

If we run at 1 turn/week, with 3 players in each side, 48 hours would be the average, I think. Everybody has a life. :cwboy:

No peculiar expericience required (the game is two weeks old anyway :niark: )

Rafiki

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:00 am

Korrigan wrote:Rafiki, Go for Lincoln!

Economy management does not ask for this much time in AACW, if you take only the US Navy, you'll spend more time opening the game and sending you mail than actually passing your orders :sourcil:

Challenge extended, eh?

OK, I'll give it a shot, even if I think the AAR'ing will be a bit of a challenge too (though a manageable one) :)

(Let's see how much monkey business the Union will tolerate... ;) )

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant
Location: Born and raised in Lincolnton,NC, currently living in Honolulu,HI

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:19 am

Dear Sir,

As a Southern gentleman of some stature and much merit, I cannot refuse the call to arms of my beloved nation. The God given right for a State to determine its own destiny must be defended at all cost. The founding fathers of this once great nation did not intend for tyranny to be the rule! Our cause is just and with God on our side we will prevail against our misled brothers. Please accept my humble services and know that all of my abilities will go to protecting these Confederate States of America.

Your most humble servant

This is a huge undertaking, but not an impossible one. It seems to me that one of the most important prerequsites is time, and time is one thing I have plenty of (365 days a year of it). Writing an AAR this large sounds challenging, but also very exciting. As to game experience, I think very few of us have any actual head-to-head time under our belts so that will make for a very open-ended campaign.

I would prefer to be Jeff Davis because I feel there may be other players who could perform the theater commanders positions better, but I will accept any position my beloved South would choose to impart to me.

Let me say that as CIC I would expect my theater heads to formulate and prosocute their own strategies within their respective commands to conform with a national strategy issued by my War Department(myself with input from the generals). I would also expect requests as to theater needs( troops, replacements, supply, transportation, etc). I would also want detailed reports from the front. Teamwork will be essential to defeat an incredibly strong Union opponent.

Thank you for your consideration on this matter, and keep us informed as the details become clearer.
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:30 am

Sounds fun!

My preferences:

1) Union West
2) Union East
3) CSA East
4) CSA West
5) Davis
6) Lincoln

Your obedt. servant,
Jim

Rafiki

Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:42 am

BTW, I still think there is room for a Navy Commander on the union side, given that the Union Navy is of some size and should see some action.

Stonewall

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:07 pm

I'd love to volunteer for the role of Abraham Lincoln if Rafiki has 2nd thoughts on the role.

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:31 pm

Korrigan wrote:If we run at 1 turn/week, with 3 players in each side, 48 hours would be the average, I think. Everybody has a life. :cwboy:

No peculiar expericience required (the game is two weeks old anyway :niark: )

Reassuring. However, I see there are so many volunteers that I don't want to burden a team with a questionable commitment. Maybe there will be another chance in the future. :)

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:55 pm

Stonewall wrote:I'd love to volunteer for the role of Abraham Lincoln if Rafiki has 2nd thoughts on the role.

No pb, for now people just applicate.
This is not a first-past-the-post competition.

However, as roleplay will be decisive in the success of this project, please take the time to write a proper application letter exposing your motivation. :cwboy:

Rafiki

Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:00 pm

Stonewall wrote:I'd love to volunteer for the role of Abraham Lincoln if Rafiki has 2nd thoughts on the role.

Not really ;)

(But since I think this might be as entertaining to see from the outside as from the inside, I won't carry a grudge if Korrigan wants to use different way for assigning roles than "First come, first served" :) )

Edit: as I see indeed is the case.

Rafiki

Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:16 pm

Korrigan wrote:However, as roleplay will be decisive in the success of this project, please take the time to write a proper application letter exposing your motivation. :cwboy:

(Asking here, since others might be wondering) Should the application be made in public here, or sent via PM to you?

(I'm hoping the latter; wouldn't want Johnny Reb to potentially get intelligence unnecessary... ;) )

Pocus

Wed Apr 25, 2007 6:11 am

For the North, I would advise first to create a corps made entirely of medics and balloons.

Pocus, unbiased arbiter. ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:10 am

Rafiki wrote:(Asking here, since others might be wondering) Should the application be made in public here, or sent via PM to you?

In public, something in NewageNapolean style, no need to disclose your secret plans. :cwboy:

Note: No need to be graduate in English litterature either...

geronimo
Sergeant

Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:32 am

i would personnaly be enjoyed to play on the csa side, on any command..gonna go work so i will complete a viable application tonight

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:12 am

Well, I´m interested in a president role. Jefferson Davis is my choice :innocent:
I role played 4-5 years (but in german), but I think I am able to handle it in english (with some help of a good friend). :dada:

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant
Location: Born and raised in Lincolnton,NC, currently living in Honolulu,HI

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:28 am

To whom it may concern,

Finally, someone courageous enough to take up the sword for our noble cause. For a brief moment I was beset by despair and fear that no brave souls would answer the call. Are there no others? It is true the enemy is powerful in industry and seemingly unlimited in manpower, but do we not have our own strengths? Are our leaders not wily, our legions not swift, our resolve not fueled by righteousness and divine providence! Where are our Alexanders, our Caesars, our Napoleans? A gentleman has but one recourse. Or has our beloved grey turned yellow?

Your indignant servant
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

marecone

Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:37 pm

Unfortunatelly I have to withdraw from this project. Real life takes too much time :innocent: . Also, I started few projects with PhilThib in beta forum and would love to finish that.
I am sorry for any incovinience.
Can't wait to see first AAR's.

Godspeed

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:56 pm

OK, let's sum it up:

[color="Blue"]Union:[/color]

President: Rafiki, Stonewall
Western Com: Jimwinsor
[color="Red"]Eastern Com:[/color]

[color="Gray"]CSA:[/color]

President: NewAgeNapolean, Hinkel
Western Com: Geronimo
[color="Red"]Eastern Com:[/color]

Well, guys... no one to march onto the ennemy capital? :niark:

Rafiki

Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:06 pm

My fellow countrymen.

This is not a time to stand idle by. A long year has passed since the Southern states started illegally started seceding, long in more ways than one.

Many hardships have been endured, especially by our soldiers and the families of our fallen, but I believe that we have only seen the beginning of a long struggle. We shall continue our work to bring the full resources of our union to bear on bringing our lost brethren back into the fold. We shall train regiments, build guns, launch ships and do anything else needed.

However, all will be for naught if our officers refuse to assume the mantle of command. Behold! Even the Army of the Potomac stands headless before Washington, and this unbearable situation cannot be allowed to continue.

NOW is the time to grasp the opportunity and the duty that Destiny has placed in your path. Join your comrades in battle! Aye, the possibility of erring is there, but glory and the gratitude of a nation is so much closer at hand, waiting only for the courageous to step forth.

Washington, March 5th 1862,
Rafiki Lincoln

DennyWright
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:59 am

I'm happy to be the British. Get lots of cotton, give the odd ship or two...

Rafiki

Thu Apr 26, 2007 7:02 am

DennyWright wrote:I'm happy to be the British. Get lots of cotton, give the odd ship or two...

...keeping your nose out of the US government's handling of internal, domestic matters...

DennyWright
Lieutenant

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:55 am

Rafiki, these days we just do whatever George W Bush tells us to. Unfortunately.

Rafiki

Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:58 am

Well, Georgie says "hello" and that you should sign up for this project. Really! :)

Spharv2

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:53 pm

To: Abraham Lincoln - Pres.USA

Sir,

It has come to my attention that your armies mobilized to crush the rebellious faction in the Southern states still lacks a quality leader in the Eastern Theater. I would humbly request that I be allowed to fill that position. It is my opinion that in these troubled times, a strong leadership must step up in order to complete the unsavory tasks that must be accomplished if it is God's will to keep this nation united. I feel that I can serve in that capacity, or whatever capacity you require me to fill.

Respectfully yours,
Lee Sphar

I figured I've got too much experience playing the South, so I'll go for a slightly different challenge. Plus, it'll keep me from having too much of an advantage because of my time playing the game. Any special rules? Random generals? Advantages to the South? Or just basic settings?

Return to “Grand Campaign I (archive)”