NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant
Location: Born and raised in Lincolnton,NC, currently living in Honolulu,HI

[CSA] A History of the War for Southern Independence

Sat Apr 28, 2007 12:39 pm

[CENTER]Image
[SIZE="5"]A History of the War for Southern Independence[/size]
[SIZE="3"]As told by various participants[/size]

Confederate Capitol building, Richmond Va.

[SIZE="4"]Introduction[/size][/CENTER]

[INDENT]This AAR will attempt to tell the story of our Grand Civil War Campaign as lived by various historical and fictional characters involved. It will rely heavily on the use of fictional war journals, diary entries, personal correspondence, official documents and 3rd person observations of these characters. While I will attempt to be as historically accurate as possible, there will be many instances where I will get names, dates or events wrong. My apologies if I offend you Civil War scholars out there. I will also take poetic license from time to time in the interest of writing as entertaining an AAR as I can.

This thread will not be about the battlefield, although I will discuss major engagements and there impact on our overall strategy. That part will be left up to my esteemed Generals. Instead I will focus primarily on the the political and economic side of the game and my use and choice of screenshots will reflect this.

At the end of every entry I will have a section that deals with my thoughts about the game and its overall progress. This section will not be roleplay and I will attempt to convey my impressions and give you an idea of the "big picture" as best I can. Please, ask questions and make suggestions.

As I final note I would like to extend a huge thanks to lightsfantastic who graciously allowed me to use many of his ideas and gave me some great tips about image resolution and utilizing the post tools. If you have not read it yet, his AAR in the BoA forum is wonderful and you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Hope you enjoy the Grand Campaign,
John[/INDENT]
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Wed May 02, 2007 12:52 am

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]Hope Springs Eternal[/size]
[SIZE="2"]Spring 1862[/size][/CENTER]

Diary of Jefferson Davis, early March 1862
.....to which I responded "Yes,I was against secession in principle, but am behind it fully in practice" . My guest received much amusement from this comment. I look forward to entertaining again, time permitting.

Gen. Lee approached me after dinner. He once again asked to be relieved of his duties here and to be assigned to the front. I am well aware of his abilities in leading men and, being a veteran of the Mexican War, I understood his request. However, I was again forced to decline. His value to me here as my advisor is to great and I loathe to part with him. I am sure I have not heard the last of this matter.
[CENTER]Image
Chain of Command, March 1862[/CENTER]

The faces of Richmond are beginning to show the strains of war. The Union blockade, though not complete, is having an effect on all facets of life in our nation. The availibility of all kinds of goods, from war materials to the most basic consumer items, has been reduced. Perhaps I will recommend the need for commissioning more blockade runners to Mr. Mallory.....

War Journal, March 14 1862
Secretary Randolph has forwarded my opening strategy for this campaign season to the theater commanders. I believe this is the most prudent course for us to take for the moment. I will record my ideas for posterity's sake.

We will be on the defensive this spring. Our lack of strength on both fronts forces us to react to our enemy at this stage, although offensive operations have been approved against isolated formations if opportunity permits. In particular, Gen. Joe Johnston in the east has been ordered to move against the Union force at Beaufort SC under command of Gen. Burnside, and to drive him into the sea if possible.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Burnsides at Beaufort SC[/CENTER]

Of more pressing concern is our tenuous rail link to the western theater. Gen. A.S. Johnston has been ordered to defend this corridor at all cost, and to prepare for an imminent Union thrust into Tennessee.
[CENTER]Image
Corinth MS-Chattanooga TN rail corridor and likely direction of Union advances[/CENTER]

I do not like being forced to react to the enemy, but at this juncture I see no alternative. We must use our mobility to force the Union into ill-prepared attacks. Perhaps some battlefield victories will give us the impetous to launch an offensive. Time will tell.

Treasury Department Report, March 1862
President Davis,
As you have requested, here is a report covering period to April 1st, 1862. Your War Bond measure has been approved and the new bonds will be issued at 5%. Response so far has been adequate but we had hoped for more interest from the public. Perhaps you would consider a 8% bond in the future? Or perhaps a new tax of some kind? As it stands we have sufficient funds for present government requests but it is a near thing. Please consider this matter carefully.

We have allocated the necessary funding to help improve our abysmal rail system. I am aware this is considered a pressing matter for you and we will continue to fund this measure on a bi-monthly basis until other needs superscede it. We have also invested a small amount in South Carolina's future industrial growth, as requested by Gov. Pickens. We hope for some results soon, else we will be forced to withdraw this aid.
[CENTER]Image
Economic Screen, late March 1862[/CENTER]

For your consideration,
Christopher Memminger
Secretary of the Treasury

Excerpt, War Department report, March 1862
.....but the turnout in response to your most recent call for volunteers has barely met the demands for current units, much less given us the ability to create new divisions to meet future threats. We have, however been able to raise four new brigades for use in the western theater and several division HQs are being organized to flesh out existing corps in both theaters.
[CENTER]Image
Reinforcements and replacements, late March 1862[/CENTER]

I fear that we may be forced to inact some sort of conscription lest we be overrun by sheer numbers. If funds permit, perhaps we could offer a bounty to enlist? If the north delays in opening a spring offensive we might gain some respite.

Our Nation's humble servant,
George W. Randolph
Secretary of War

Personal notes
We as a team agreed on a "reactive-defensive" strategy for the first couple of turns to see how things develop. Strength-wise we can hold our own defensively, but are suspect to having our main armies pinned in place while smaller enemy forces manoeuver on key objectives. Getting rid of Burnsides early will benefit us greatly. Hope we can get to him before reinforcements do.

Our replacement pool is empty (as is theirs) and I will have to build it up slowly, concentrating on what I feel is most pressing. Line infantry, cavalry, and artillery first, minor units later. I felt the West Theater has more important and weaker right now so I granted him his request for 4 brigades. Both theaters also received their requested HQ units. I am going to try to slowly build a strategic reserve beginning in the summer if a can squeeze it.

I went with a 5% bond and a call for vols. on this first turn. I met my early requirements and was in the black so I'll hold off on taxes or conscription till we need it (I wont hesitate to use either early but would like to build our NM first). Our NM=100 to start. If it goes up I will feel more inclined to look into measures that cost morale.

Next few months will make or break us I think. If we can take advantage of our superior leaders early we will gain the advantage and will consider more offensive options.

John
[CENTER]Grand Campaign Project[/CENTER][CENTER]President of the Confederate States of America[/CENTER][CENTER]Jefferson Davis[/CENTER][CENTER]Image [/CENTER]

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Thu May 03, 2007 12:51 pm

[CENTER]Spring 1862[/CENTER]

Diary of Jefferson Davis, late March 1862
My cabinet bickers amongst themselves incessantly. At times it seems that they forget we are involved in a struggle for our very existence. On man demands this, another must have that. On a daily basis I am forced to step in and remind them of my authority. Of particular angst of late is Secretary of State Benjamin. Though he resigned his post as Secretary of War last month, he still feels the need to interject his ideas into Mr. Randolph' sphere of influence. He is however an accomplished statesman so I must bear him out. These men must rely on me to lead this nation, as I rely on God to lead me.
[CENTER]Image
Confederate Cabinet, 1861[/CENTER]

I often think of President Lincoln and wonder if he feels the weight of his burden as I feel mine. Are his fellow servants putting him to task as mine are?
Will I ever be able to speak to the man as a peer? I think not.

Letter from Sec. of State Benjamin

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Diary of Jefferson Davis, late March 1862
.....Gen. A.S. Johnston then notified us of a most interesting development. It seems that the silent, pro-independence majority of Kentucky's citizens took great offence at the movement of Gen. Buells corps through the heartland of their state and viewed it as a violation of their declared neutrality. They have risen up in great numbers to declare their allegiance to the Confederate cause! This is wonderful news to say the least, and I hope Gen.Johnston is able to take advantage of this sudden introduction of new allies.

I have listened closely to Sec. Benjamins suggestions and I cuncur wholeheartedly. This morning I signed a measure that will enact an embargo on all contraband cotton. If we are correct in our assumptions, this will push the British even more towards open support of our cause. The new law will go into effect on the 1st of next month. We shall know soon enough how successful it is.

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

Before the ink was even dry, Sec. Memminger placed a bill calling for an exceptional tax below my still upraised hand. He informed in the clearest language that the majority of the moneys raised by this act would come from legitimate cotton exporters, and that any anger raised in that sector by the new tax would certainly be absolved by the new embargo I had just signed. I acquiesced. In a fit of executive authority I had just signed....

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

War Journal, late March 1862
.....In the East, Gen. J. Johnston continues to strengthen his position along the Rappahannock line, while Gen. Jacksons corps still controls the entrance to the Valley. Gen. Magruder has won a small engagement against enemy forces on the James Peninsula. With luck this thorn in our side will be eleminated in a matter of days. Gen. Pemberton has closed with Gen. Burnside's command north of Savannah.....

[CENTER]Image
Rappahannock Line, March 30, 1862[/CENTER]

.....In the West, Gen.A.S. Johnston has assembled his army north of Corinth, MS. and appears to be moving north to engage Gen. Grant's seperated corps',
though communications from that theater have been spotty. I hope to hear from him on his intentions soon. He has secured his supply line to Chattanooga and may have sufficient force to.....

[CENTER]Image
Corinth-Chattanooga rail corridor and Gen. A.S. Johnstons line of advance, March 30, 1862[/CENTER]

War Department Report, late March 1862
Mr. President, we have begun raising new replacement companies and militia regiments to augment existing forces, but I must warn you that lack of new conscripts is not our primary concern. We currently have the arms and uniforms to equip barely a third of our available manpower. Something must be done to increase our base of war materials or we will be fielding empty regiments. As it is many of the men are forced to use their own inadequate private arms and ammunitions.....

[CENTER]Image
Reinforcements and replacements for April 1st, 1862[/CENTER]

Personal Notes
Great news for the late March turn right off the bat.
(1.)President Lincoln (Rafiki)Went with the full blockade political option and it backfired. This fact coupled with the "Appointment of new Secretary of State" event shot our foreign intervention level to +23 at the start of turn 2! I have responded with our full embargo option and threw in a exceptional tax. So net gains are:
+$376,000
+2 NM
+5 VP
65% chance +11-22 foreign intervention
net loses are:
+2% inflation
35% chance -15-30 Foreign intervention
If this pays off we could possibly have an intervention level of +45 at the end of turn 2!! I felt the reward was well worth the risk.
(2.) The Kentucky event fired and 90% of the state is now in our control. This was a bug and unfortunate for the Union, but it helps our cause greatly and we decided to play through it to spice up the campaign. We treated it as an "unhistoric shift in loyalty".

As I feel that there will be heavy action soon, I concentrated my spending on replacements and 20 rail points. Rail movement will be critical for our upcoming operations and I will continue to invest every turn till its no longer a concern. Even though my industrial spending paid off last turn (+23 gen. supply) I had to cancel it for lack of war supplies. As of the end of the turn, I have 1 war supply point, but plenty of cash (+250,000) and conscripts (+100) so war supplies will definatly be our problem early on.

Our strategy remains the same and the Union helped out by giving us a few turns of respite. I give you a brief rundown of the two theaters:
(East)Commander has dug in along the Rappahannock River and is in good defensive position. Jacksons(C) corps is at Harpers Ferry and will probably invest it next turn. I expect the entire AoP to be in front of our position in the next 2 turns. If not we will hit his isolated corps at Manassas if opportunity allows. Enemy force at James City should be eliminated this turn (barring reinforcement). Burnsides(U) has exposed his supply line at Beaufort, SC but the force confronting him is suffering from max. command penalties, and the outcome of a battle there concerns me.
(West)Communications with my West commander have been sporadic at best but I think we are on the same page. His movement this turn (see map above) appears to be an attempt to seperate Grant(U) from the corps at Humboldt. With the departure of Buell(U) to Kentucky, I think he has numerical superiority if he gets his forces concentrated, but I want him to avoid a general engagement with the entire Union Army there. It also seems West tried to grab Springfield with a quick calvary raid but the enemy got back in time and thumped him. It cost us an NM point but shouldn't hurt us otherwise. Cen. Tenn. appears safe for the moment, but is practically undefended (Im working on this problem).

It goes without saying that amphibious operations in either theater are my primary concern. If we can eliminate Burnsides soon enough we can respond with the forces facing him. If not, it might be a long summer.

Navy: Not much going on here. Gunboats at Memphis and New Orleans. I lost a blockade runner last turn, the rest are doing there job. Semmes is in the shipping box wreaking havoc. Dont foresee any changes here anytime soon.

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Mon May 07, 2007 8:24 am

Turn 3 coming up.

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Wed May 09, 2007 1:53 am

[CENTER][SIZE="3"]Spring, 1862[/size]

London headline, early April, 1862[/CENTER]

Journal of William Buckner, Cabinet Secretary, April, 1862
.....That President Jefferson was furious was evident. You could actually see the anger building on his face as he addressed Secretary Benjamin, like a storm gathering its fury.
[INDENT]Pres. Jefferson - "Did you not inform me Mr. Secretary that this measure would be of benefit to us as to the matter of British Intervention."
Sec. Benjamin - "Yes sir, I did, but..."
Pres. J. - "Then what went wrong Mr. Secretary?"
Sec. B. - "It appears that my men in England were wrong and..."
Pres. J. - "Do not pass blame for this fiasco Judah!"[/INDENT]
A silence as deafening as the clanging of gongs descended on the chamber. President Jefferson was known to vent his emotions from time to time, but to call a member by his given name, in anger, at an official meeting was unheard of. After what seemed to me like an hour, but was in fact just moments, the President's face cleared and he resumed.
[INDENT]Pres. J. - "My most humble apologies Mr. Secretary. Indeed blame should never be passed, and as I made the final decision, final responsibility lies solely with me. Please forgive me."
Sec. B. - "It is forgiven sir."[/INDENT]
Like that, it was over.

War Journal, April, 1862
In the East, Gen.J.Johnston has reported that the Army of the Potomac has arrived in force in front of his position. He is in good defensive terrain, and we both hope that Gen.McClellan is foolish enough to try and force the issue, but more likely he will attempt to manoeuver to find some undefended crossing point. General Jackson is preparing to invest Harpers Ferry. God grant him speedy victory. Gen. Pemberton reports that he has captured Beaufort, S.C. and that Gen. Burnsides has been cut off from his supply base. I anxiously await news of the final outcome there.

[CENTER]Image
Virginia, April 15, 1862[/CENTER]

In the West, Gen.A.S.Johnston reports that he has begun to attempt a move on Gen.Grants supply lines, but his corps are scattered and susceptible to attack. He also reports a Union naval force has been spotted moving towards our position at Island no.10. As yet, the enemy has not moved into Central Tennessee and we are both temporarily relieved.

[CENTER]Image
Western Tennessee, April 15, 1862[/CENTER]

I have had to order to suspension of all rail movement in both theaters as supply shortages have become acute in the West. Gen.J.Johnston's request for reinforcements has been granted, but our supply of war materials continues to dwindle.....

[CENTER]Image
Reinforcements, replacements and final balance, mid-April,1862

[SIZE="3"]"Dixie"[/size]
by Daniel Decatur Emmett?

Oh, I wish I was in the land of cotton,
Old times there are not forgotten,
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

In Dixie Land where I was born in,
Early on one frosty mornin',
Look away, look away, look away Dixie Land.

I wish I was in Dixie, Hooray! Hooray!
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand
To live and die in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.
Away, away, away down south in Dixie.

Sheet music for "Dixie"[/CENTER]

Personal Notes
My opening political option failed. Instead of being halfway to foreign intervention, Im back where I was 2 turns ago (+10). Not the end of the war but definitely a hard pill to swallow. The only other "executive option" I have left untill June is mobilization. I will probably have to go with that next turn as our manpower pool is almost depleted (see rep.& ref. above).

In the East everything remains quiet. East has Burnsides cutoff from supply but is not trying to finish him, and I told my generals before starting that I wouldn't interfere with their military decisions. Jackson is moving to capture Harpers Ferry. Bad weather was present in the region or it might have been ours already. Both Armies are drawn up along the Rappahannock waiting to see who blinks first.

West has put himself in an interesting position (see map above), albeit a dangerous one. He has good striking potential here but his supply lines are vulnerable. Have to see how it plays out next turn. Union fleet has been bombarding the forts along the approach to New Orleans for two turns now. I expect to see Gen. Butler(U) there next turn, the turn after at the latest. I hate to just give them our 2nd most important city, but we have no choice. We just dont have sufficient forces to guard the coast right now. Perhaps never will. Thats why the inland battles this year will be so crucial to our victory.

Navy:Lost another runner, otherwise the same.

[CENTER]Image
Victory screen, end of turn 3[/CENTER]

Overall we are still OK, but things could be better.On a scale where +10 is victory, -10 defeat, I would put us at -1.

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Thu May 10, 2007 9:52 am

[CENTER][SIZE="3"]Spring, 1862[/size]

Surrender of New Orleans[/CENTER]

Diary of Jefferson Davis, May 1862
.....New Orleans has been captured by our enemy. The city fell to seaborne invasion early last week. The effect of its fall on our morale is palpable on all faces, from the lowest servant to the members of my own cabinet. Secretary Benjamin actually broke into tears when we recieved the word. I fear for the wellbeing of the citizens of that great city. Shortages caused by the blockade will certainly be compounded by enemy occupation. Already, reports of the odious nature of Gen. Butler have reached our ears. How could such a calamity come to pass? Has God abandonded us?.....

War Journal, early May 1862
.....this fact coupled with lower than expected enlistments have forced me to sign a bill enacting a partial mobilization of able bodied men to bolster our available manpower

[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

In the Eastern Theater, Gen.J.Johnston has submitted a bold and daring plan to attempt to regain the initiative from the enemy. Gen. Longstreets corps will move to Winchester, Va. in an attempt to destroy a small Union force moving into the Shenandoah Valley. He will then support Gen. Jackson's siege of Harpers Ferry, guarding his flank from interference by the Army of the Potomac. If successful, this manoeuver will give us a strong striking force on the main Union Army's right flank.

[CENTER]Image
Longstreet moves into the Valley[/CENTER]

Gen. Burnsides maintains his position north of Savannah, Ga. I do not understand Gen.Pemberton's reluctance to engage him. This situation vexes me to no end.

We have received no word from A.S.Johnstons command for over two weeks now. I am fully aware that communications from the field are unreliable at best, but my concern for his well-being and that of his Army grows daily. I can only assume that the situation out west has not changed dramatically. We have received reports that Gen.VanDorn's Army of the West is on the move and is heading east, but its final destination is unknown to me. God grant us a victory to boost our morale soon.....

Personal Notes
A rough turn for the Confederates. I still feel our decision to not defend the coast vigorously was the right one (against a human opponent anyway) but the loss of New Orleans will never be easy to stomach. My manpower pool was empty so I enacted partial mobilization, knew it would happen sooner or later but I stretched it as long as I could. I now have no executive options left untill June, so I will not comment on them again untill then.

The East is beginning to stir. Moving Longstreet into the Valley could reap serious rewards, but also leaves Richmond dangerously weak. If the AoP concentrates in an attack across the Rappahannock, we might not have the force to stop him. We will have to count on McClellan being, well, McClellan. Should definately see some action here next turn.

In the West I am literally blind. I haven't had an official communication from West CiC in two weeks and am unsure of his intentions. By looking at his orders when I get the turn I can see that he is reconsolidating at Corinth,MS. but to what end I dont know. I can also see he has sent VanDorn east as far as the Mississippi. I would think to Memphis, but it is possible that he may be heading to New Orleans! Wouldn't that be interesting. Believe it or not, you the reader have a better idea of his plans than I do for you can read his AAR. Island No. 10 also fell but that was a given.

Navy:Semmes' raider was destroyed but he survived and is recovering in Wilmington. I have also consolidated a significant river fleet at Memphis,TN consisting of 7 gunboat squadrons and the ironclad that escaped from New Orleans. In 4 turns a second ironclad will join them and I will have a force to deal with further river movements by the Union.

Overall not the best turn for us. New Orleans gave us a major NM hit and the enemy an equal gain

[CENTER]Image
Turn 4 Victory[/CENTER]

On my victory scale I would but us at -2.

NewAgeNapolean
Sergeant

Pocus

Tue May 29, 2007 1:05 pm

Pocus,
Over 4 turns, I have spent 300 conscript points and 300k on line infantry replacements but at the start of turn 5 my replacemant pool is still at 0. This doesnt seem right to me. We have had no battles (just a skirmish or 2).
It appears that every turn or so I am being charged for "fortress troops" that I dont want to spend my rep. points on. Is this the case? I should have at least 20 line inf. reps in my opinion. Please fill me in as to whats going on.

Pocus

Wed May 30, 2007 6:04 am

Fortress troops should have been set to a type that don't demand additional troops, so I don't understand here, unless you started the game before the patch fixing that. I will ask PhilThib about that, as he is doing the setups.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

AndrewKurtz

Early September 1862

Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:11 am

Number one issue...no cash.

At this point, we have enough conscipts, but not enough cash. Battles have depleted our existing formations. So we are currently focused on using existing resources to replenish the replacement ranks. We have been doing this for several turns, however, we cannot get ahead. Each turn, we end up again with empty replacement pools for key forces. This is expected to be the main focus for the foreseeable future. There has been no request for new troops from the commanders. Therefore, it doesn't make sense to raise new troops until the replacement pools are restored.

Another side effect of our limited cash/resources is the inability to invest in infrastructure or navy. As a result, we have had limited naval activity and almost no infrastructure improvement. Some resources have gone to railroad to ensure proper supplies. At this point, the best we can do is keep the rails at about 1/3 capacity.

Finally, we have had not significant promotions. Rumors from the front suggest that DH Hill had performed well, but we are hesitant to promote him until recommended by his superiors.

Pocus

Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:56 am

Sound a somehow historical situation... Historically they printed money and never rebuilt their rolling stock though... they even canibalized a part of their railroad network, and you can do that in-game too (destroying a rail in a controlled and loyal region bring back 2 WSU). If you have more WSU than money, then your runners will bring you more money also...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

AndrewKurtz

Thu Sep 27, 2007 9:26 pm

Number one issue solved. I finally gave in and decided we needed replacements and reinforcements and we needed them now. We printed money and immediately filled out the empty replacement rolls along with providing the first of several expected new reinforcement brigades, one per front.

This turn we also began the movement of partisans and raiders north in an attempt to disrupt supply as winter approaches. The enemy has been relatively silent recently, and we hope to keep them looking northward.

In the east, it is our hope that Lee can destroy a complete federal corps and then, as winter approaches, divert some troops southward for a campaign to expell the yankees from the coast.

In the west, we appear strong around Vicksburg and close to recapturing New Orleans, an event sorely hoped for to improve morale and impact our European friends.

AndrewKurtz

Tue Oct 16, 2007 4:27 pm

Pleased to see the Union being pushed back from the North Carolina coast. This was a relatively slow turn in Richmond. No communications from either of the commanding generals. No news is good news?

Replacement pools look OK, but no resources for new brigades as of yet. Rushed several more artillery replacements as these seem most in demand.

Nothing can be done with the Navy. Trying to work some raiders into position to at least pull the Federal glance northward. However, the Union has left brigades in every key province, making it more difficult. Must be nice to have the resources to do so.

Return to “Grand Campaign I (archive)”