Rafiki

[UNION] War Room of the United States of America

Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:53 pm

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]War Room of the United States of America[/size]

Wherein the President and his generals discuss matters of grand strategy and of defeating the secessionist states.
[/CENTER]

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Report of Major-General Halleck, Late March, 1862:

Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:22 am

[font="Courier New"][RIGHT]HEADQUARTERS OF THE WEST,
St. Louis, Mo., Late March 1862[/RIGHT]
HON. EDWIN McMASTERS STANTON, Secretary of War:

SIR: A description of the current dispositions and planned lines-of-march of the four armies in my department, from west to east, follows:

1. The army styled "Western Command," situated Cassville, Mo., south of Springfield; Maj. Gen. Curtis commanding. Maj. Gen. Curtis, feeling threatened by substantial enemy opposition and adverse current weather conditions, is planning to fall back on his depot at Springfield for the time being. I fully concur with this decision.

I request an effort be made to supply Maj. Gen. Curtis with locally mustered regular reinforcements, as soon as practicable, to achieve the necessary superior numbers before the push into Arkansas. The avoidance of another disaster as befell the late lamented Gen. Lyon is advisable. In addition, it occurs to me the whole far west region appears quite under garrisoned; a call-out of the remaining Missouri militia regiments may be advisable as well.

2. The Army of the Mississippi, Maj. Gen. Pope in command. After much serious consideration, it has been decided that a river invasion would be the most expedient means of reaching the army's target destination of Island No. 10; a debarkation operation is estimated to take a mere 5 days, as opposed to upwards of 40 plus days moving through the pestilential morass surrounding that bend of the river. Hencely, the army shall redeploy to Cairo, in preparation for river embarkation.

Please forward on to Sec. Welles my formal request for use of the Cairo vessels for this vital operation.

3. The Army of the Tennessee, Maj. Gen. Grant commanding. He is in command of the largest army, and there is no opposition in sight. He is to move south against both Memphis and Corinth, the former objective in cooperation with Maj. Gen. Pope after Pope has dealt with Island No. 10. Oh, Grant mentions these wild reports of hoards of Confederates, of Beauregard joining Sidney Johnston linking up far to the south...begins to sound a bit like his friend Sherman. Or perhaps he has been falling into the "old habits" again. He bears watching, I suppose.

4. The Army of the Ohio, Maj. Gen Buell commanding. His orders are by far the most intriguing. He is to reploy his entire army, by rail, to the northern outskirts of Lexington, Kentucky.

A brief explanation is in order. It has come to my attention that a railway exists between Knoville, Tn., and Lexington, Ky. And said railway, being still under Confederate control (east Kentucky being unpacified as yet), would in theory allow a surprise rebel thrust against both Cincinnati and/or Louisville. With Cincinnati being particularly vulnerable, defended my a mere militia regiment currently.

Hence, to block this apparantly unforeseen railway, I am instructing Buell to rail to Lexington, block this nightmare possibility, and indeed, take Lexington if possible. I do regret the strain this will put on our available rolling stock (do convey my apologies to McClellan for this potential inconvenience to him as well), but if you study the situation, you can see the peril is indeed great. Buell's are the only forces than can close this wide open door into Ohio.

Buell will do good service in the area in any case, enabling us to rapidly sieze control of all of eastern Kentucky, and it's vital rail supply links to our forces further west.

I'd also like to recommend our available wooden gunboats be sent down the Tennessee to cut the rail tressels over the river (even as far as Knoxville); hopefully, through added construction of such gunboats, I hope to see the entire Tennessee so patrolled; thus fully reaping of benefits of Grant's recent seizure of Donelson.

Very respectfully, sir, I remain, your obedient servant,
[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,
Maj. Gen., Commanding[/RIGHT][/font]

Spharv2

Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:01 am

[font="Courier New"]To: President Lincoln, Sec. of War Stanton

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Alexandria, VA, March 27th, 1862
Gen. Sphar, Cmdr. US forces - Eastern Theater

Mr. President and Secretary,

To remedy the command problems that have suffused this department since the beginning of the war, I now submit, for your approval, my plan of action for the Eastern theater of operations in the coming year. In addition, I am submitting my proposals for additional forces to be raised in my area of operations.

A) To begin, I will run down the currently forces available to bring to bear against the rebellious areas. Starting with the westernmost areas, my forces are arrayed thusly:

Located at Grafton in Western Virginia, General Fremont has one division, plus various supply units.

Defending the Baltimore & Ohio rail line is one division of troops under Gen. Shenk.

In Harpers Ferry is Gen Banks and the Army of Virginia, consisting of two divisions of troops along with supporting units.

Gen McClellan remains in command of the Army of the Potomac in Alexandria with six corps under Gens. McDowell, Sumner, Heintzleman, Keyes, Porter, and Franklin, plus various supporting elements.

In addition to these forces, there are some independent forces in Annapolis, and two brigades of troops in Harrisburg PA.

My command also includes three sizable forces in southern territory. One consists of independent brigades currently occupying Ft. Monroe and James City, Virginia. At some point, I plan to pull these forces back into Fort Monroe. The second is The Army of Florida under Brig Gen. Parke. These forces are currently unfit for offensive action and will remain in place until reinforced. The third is Burnside's Force currently occupying Beaufort, SC. This is a relatively strong force, and should be put to some good use.

This completes my summary of the forces available to me in my sphere of operations.

B) Due to the difficulties inherent in a winter campaign, my initial task will be the reorganization of the aforementioned forces in my district. While McClellan has done an admirable job in his reorganization, I feel that certain changes need to be made to ensure that maximum pressure can be brought to bear when the campaigning season opens.

The first order of business will be to move Gen. Shenk's force west to join with Gen Fremont's in Grafton. I know you value the political value of Gen Butler, who currently commands in Annapolis, therefore, I will be placing him in command of a newly created Army of West Virginia. He will command the army in Grafton, with Gen Fremont as his corps commander.

Gen. Bank's force will remain in place for now with no more than a minor reorganization of his divisions.

General McClellan's force will be reorganized. Six corps is far too unwieldy a force to ensure proper control. Therefore, I plan to consolidate the current six corps formation into four corps in addition to the reinforced HQ unit directly under Gen. McClellan's command.

By performing this reorganization, I can free up forces for one of two purposes. They can be sent to the Western theater in the event that the reinforcements I list could be useful, or, alternatively, I can combine them with the forces currently located in Annapolis to begin preparing a strong force to use against the enemy along his southern coastline.

Please communicate this information to the Western Command that the gunboat squadron in Pittsburgh has been released for use along the western rivers, as I am without doubt that they can be better utilized by our forces in that area than is ever possible in the Eastern area.

Gen. Heintzelman will move to Annapolis and take command of the forces there.

This completes my summary of my proposed force reorganization.

C) Once my force reorganization is complete, and the weather turns sufficiently to allow easy movement, my offensive plans will be as follows:

1. Gens. Butler and Fremont will take a portion of their forces south through the western areas of Virginia to attempt to at least cut the rail links between Richmond and Knoxville at Christianburg, VA. If possible, they will also capture and occupy the town. If this move can be combined with an attempt to capture rebel occupied Lexington, the entirety of Western Kentucky can be cut off and may fall into our hands. In addition, the destruction of the rail link between Knoxville and Virginia will ensure that the rebels have to make much more use of their already stretched rail capacity.

2. Gen. Banks, despite his many failures, will remain in charge of the forces in the Valley until a suitable replacement is found to replace him. I shall endeavor to have him move up the valley, taking at least Winchester. If he can push further up the valley, I will try, but his main objective is to take and hold Winchester and to occupy the rebel forces facing him there.

3. The Army of the Potomac will make a wide sweep into Falmouth and Manassas, VA. If faced with stiff opposition, this will be the extent of the advance until reinforced. If the rebels fall back, and play for time, then an advance on Fredricksburg will be contemplated, with the wings attempting to threaten Charlottesville and the fords around Tappahannock.

4. Once Gen Heintzleman arrives in Annapolis, I wish to ship his division south to reinforce Gen. Burnside.

5. Gen Burnside will advance on Hardeeville, SC. Once reinforced, I will attempt to invest Savannah if practicable. If not, I am prepared to send further reinforcements from the Army of the Potomac to him in order to strengthen the attempt to capture this important city.

This completes my basic outline for operations this spring and summer.

D) I will require further reinforcements for a successful campaign this year. I am in desperate need of cavalry and horse artillery for the Army of the Potomac. Currently, the army has very little way to combat enemy cavalry raids. If the supply lines are cut behind the army, no offense will be sustainable. I would also like to send a trained army staff to Burnside to assist him in his efforts in South Carolina and Georgia, if practicable. Further infantry and mixed brigades are always needed.

Also, militia or sharpshooter units should be raised in Western Virginia to ensure that control of this area remains in our hands.

I will continue to keep you updated as events unfold.

I am most respectfully your obedient servant,

L.H.Sphar, Gen. [/font]

Rafiki

Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:01 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]Executive Mansion, Washington D.C.,
March 23rd, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: General Halleck
In regards to: Your status and strategic priorities for the spring of 1862

General,

thank you for your report. By and large, I agree with your priorities, especially as I have the utmost confidence in the abilities of you and your men.

Once the weather clears fully and it has received some reinforcements, the Western Command should advance to the Arkansas River and secure the strongpoints along it, if possible including Little Rock.

The plans for the Army of the Mississippi and the request for support from elements of the Mississippi fleet have been approved.

If Maj Gen Grant's suspicions not being confirmed are the worst thing you can say about him this spring, I'll consider that to be a mistake worth making on his part. Controlling the Mississippi is important for our cause, and it would be bad news indeed if a large Confederate army is forming in opposition.

My only concern with your plans for the Army of the Ohio is that it might leave Nashville open for confederate attacks. I will therefore need your assurance that an adequate garrison be stationed there (in addition to the forces already present), either from the Army of the Ohio or from the Army of the Tennessee when Maj. Gen. Buell leaves for Lexington.

Securing the state of Kentucky and denying the use of its territory and resources is in any case of the utmost importance, and I fully concur with such use of the Army of the Ohio.

Elements of the Mississippi Fleet under Admiral Porter, as well as the Louisville, Nashville and Ohio Squadrons will be blocking of the crossing points on the Tennessee, as per your request.

I cannot promise the expansion of the Mississippi flotillas; the needs of our nation are many and large, but your recommendation does weigh heavily, and if not fulfilled momentarily, I hope to see it fulfilled at some point this spring.

Please convey my best wishes to your officers and men,
A. Lincoln[/font]
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:49 pm

March 24th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: General Sphar
In regards to: Your status and strategic priorities for the spring of 1862

General,

thank you for your report. It is evident that you have used your short time at your new command well, and that you have already gained a good understanding of the situation.

You have my approval for all parts of your plans, except in the following two instances:

1) The navy is in need of a sizable port on the Gulf of Mexico, larger than the small harbors offered by the various forts under our control. To this end, the force currently under command of Gen Butler in Annapolis will have to serve a purpose. Since this is a matter of some urgency, there is not time to wait for the change of command you recommend, and General Butler will lead this force. I suggest Gen McDowell take his place as commander of the Army of West Virginia-to-be.

General Butler and his men are placed under command of Admiral Farragut for the upcoming Gulf assault. Though I see good use for these forces alongside Gen Burnside in South Carolina, he will have to be reinforced by other means.

2) Though not in immediate need of troops, the armies in the west are in need of competent corps commanderse. Since you are consolidating the corps of the Army of the Potomac from six into four, you should be able to dispatch one of the current corps commanders to report to an army designated by Gen Halleck.

Your requests for reinforcements are noted and the War Department has been instructed to meet them as far as possible.

Please convey my best wishes to your officers and men,
A. Lincoln[/font]

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:20 pm

March 25th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: Generals Sphar and Halleck

Gentlemen,

Having received and appraised your preliminary reports and plans, I am pleased with what I have seen and have had my confidence in our success further strengthened by it.

I believe that this war is now ours to loose. The full industrial strength of the Union is working for us, and time is on our side. As I write this, troops are being trained throughout the states, cannons are being produced and ships are being launched.

However, for this advantage to come to bear, we must not loose our heads in the field. Though I expect you to take advantage of opportunities that present themselves (or that you bring to light), I also expect you to not squander the lives of our soldiers unnecessarily on reckless adventures. I say this not because you have given me any reason to believe such is about to happen, but over the last year, it has happened often enough that I wish to bring these thoughts to your attention.

Do note that I am not saying that we should not expect losses during what awaits us, quite the contrary; I believe that the burdens and the losses we have ahead will shadow what we have seen so far. What I am saying is that it falls upon you to make sure that the sacrifices made are not in vain and that you honor the fallen by securing what is necessary to bring the secessionist states back into the Union.

Yours respectfully,

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:21 pm

To: President Lincoln, Sec. of War Stanton

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Alexandria, VA, March 28th, 1862

Having received your communique of the 27th instant, would it be possible for you to send a rider to inform Gen. Butler of the change in plans? The changes can be easily made aside from his orders. Gen. Freemont can be tabbed to lead the Army of West Virginia without a corps structure. Given the small size of the army, this should pose no military difficulties, though Gen. Butler will not be happy at being passed over for command.

In the coming weeks, I will prepare a division of units from the Army of the Potomac to be sent to reinforce Burnside as I regard his reinforcement as imperative in order to transform it into a legitimate threat in the Confederate rear areas.

Regarding the mission on a gulf port, have you any one in particular in mind? Specifying a large port would seem to narrow it down to two main possibilities, New Orleans and Mobile. Mobile might be the safe choice, as it is close to Ft. Pickens in Pensacola, which we already control. New Orleans is certainly the more tempting target, given it's size and importance. As both are outside my area of operations, I will need to co-ordinate the movement with Gen. Halleck in the west to ensure a swift and painless command turnover when the time arrives.

Regarding the third portion, the dispatch of a corps commander to the Western theater, Gen. Heintzleman has been detached and is to report in Annapolis. If you could have a rider sent to him to also inform him of his final destination, your help in this matter would be much appreciated.

I remain your obedient servant,

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

Rafiki

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:03 am

March 28th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Securing a port on the Gulf

I submit to your consideration the thoughts regarding an invasion of a port on the Gulf coast.

The primary motivation is to secure a good harbor for the replenishment and repair of the Gulf Squadrons. However, it shall also, if possible, serve as a staging area for campaigns into confederate territory.

The War Department identifies four potential targets; in addition to the two that general Sphar list in his last telegram, we have looked at Escambia, FL and Galveston, TX. In short, our evaluation is as follows:

New Orleans, LA: A large port well suited for our purposes. Furthermore, it controls the main outlet of the Mississippi. However, there are forts controlling the access that will need to be dealt with, and, given the benefit we can reap from controlling New Orleans, we must believe that the confederates at least suspect we are thinking of an invasion there.

Mobile, AL: Though not as large as New Orleans, it is large enough for our purposes. It is also situated so that we'll threathen the states of Mississippi and Alabama. However, here also there are forts that need to be dealt with.

Galveston, TX: No fort protection, and the opposition should be light, given the remoteness from central confederate areas. However, it's port is of medium size, and its remoteness lessens its usefulness for non-navy purposes.

Escambia, FL: We already control the protecting fort, ands its location is comparable to that of Mobile for campaigning inland. However, its harbor is the smallest of the ones presented here, though still significantly larger than those already in our possession.

With these alternatives in mind, we therefore require from you an evaluation on how useful the seizure of these potential targets is for your future strategies to be able to fully decide which alternative we shall opt for.

Yours respectfully,

E Stanton,
Secretary of War[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:10 am

March 28th, 1862[/RIGHT]

To: General Sphar, HQ - Army of the Potomac, Alexandria, VA

The adjusted plans you have detailed in your latest telegram are approved, and the requests you have made will be heeded.

I share your concerns for Gen Butler, but I trust that he in the end realizes that the needs of the nation outweigh any concerns for his personal glory. In any case, if this invasion goes well, he can easily find himself in command of an army in the near future, while if it does not succeed, he himself will be the first one to have to explain why it failed and why our trust in him was not misplaced.

Yours respectfully,

E Stanton,
Secretary of War[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:39 am

SIR: Your point as to the security of Nashville is well taken. I shall direct Maj. Gen. Grant to hold his command in the vicinity of Fort Henry, ready to move either south or east as soon as the intentions of the rebels in the area become known.

In addition, a band of Tennessee loyalists I am in covert communication with are poised to wreck the main rail line north into Nashville; I shall see that it is done.

I understand we are to have a new corps commander in our department; splendid news indeed. Gen. Grant has already in fact completed a corps reorganization, creating two corps in his army under Maj. Genls. Lew Wallace and John Alexander McClerndon. Perhaps with this new addition, McClerndon could be spared from field command, back to a recruiting role that he quite frankly excels at.

Lastly, I neglected to mention in my last dispatch that, in addition to the Missouri militia, three Kentucky regiments are available for immediate call up as well. As my need for garrison troops are even more acute in Kentucky, I do hope you will consider raising them active duty as well.

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Spharv2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:40 am

To: President Lincoln, Sec. of War Stanton, Gen. Halleck - CMDR West Theater

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Alexandria, VA, March 29th, 1862

Sirs,

With regards to the gulf coast invasion to be undertaken, it would be my preference to make our initial attack on one of the two larger ports, and preferably New Orleans. Though Gen Halleck should have more weight lent to his arguments than mine, since the invasion will fall under his command, I list here the following reasons for my preference:

a. To strike now at a city the size of New Orleans will be much easier than to give the rebels the chance to reinforce it later. It will be much easier for them to gather troops in the two larger cities, than it will in the smaller. Therefore, time is of the essence.

b. New Orleans is closer to the blockading area. This is a prime concern, in addition to depriving the South of their largest port, we will be decreasing the transit times for our navy to and from the city. In addition the size of the port means that we will have no problems with supplying any type of ship.

c. New Orleans is better positioned for further exploitation of any gains, and is also better positioned to both support, and receive support from our main armies in the Western theater. Cutting the Confederacy in half via the Mississippi River will mean the eventual fall of the western areas to us, given time. I believe the best way to achieve that would be a thrust in both directions along the river.

d. I know Admiral Farragut, and believe he should be able to bypass the forts without undue problems. If he does have problems with them, we can always redirect to one of the secondary ports. With the lack of Confederate seapower, the army will be hard pressed to cover every inch of their coastline. I believe that even should he fail to pass the forts, a quick diversion will still be able to succeed in our main mission.

Naturally, I defer to Gen. Halleck's views on the matter, as he will be directing and attempting to support this invasion, and will lend whatever support is possible to ensure the triumph of our arms.

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:08 am

HON. E.M. STANTON, Sec. of War; GEN. L.H. SPHAR, Commander Department of the East:

SIR: Your dispatch as to the proposed invasion of New Orleans has been received. While I agree in full with the strategic logic behind it, and whole-heartedly support it, I do have to point out in deference to all parties concerned that the assertion that the invasion and it's aftermath will come under my command is not necessarily true.

It is the perogative of the Preseident and the Sec. of War to determine theater boundaries. Should the responsibilities devolve upon myself, I shall energetically and enthusiastically take them up. If however they remain with the command with which they originated (presumably the east coast) please be assured I shall happily aquiese in such a determination.

I am, &c.,
[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Rafiki

Tue May 01, 2007 9:25 pm

[CENTER]Image
[/CENTER]

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]Department of the Navy, Washington D.C.,
March 29th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Previous request for naval support

General,

this is to inform you that Admiral Foote and his flotilla of river ironclads and transports have been placed under your command for the duration of operations against Island no. 10.

Respectfully.
Gideon Welles
Secretary of the Navy[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Thu May 03, 2007 10:29 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]Department of the Navy, Washington D.C.,
April 2nd, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Operations in the Savannah area

General,

this is to inform you that Admiral Dupont and the ships patrolling the approaches of Savannah, GA, are available to support General Burnside, should he decide to besiege or assault that city. If not, they shall remain in the area, intercepting all illegal trafiic to and from Savannah.

Respectfully.
Gideon Welles
Secretary of the Navy[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Thu May 03, 2007 10:59 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]War Department, Washington D.C.,
April 2nd, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Usage of the nations railroads for the purpose of transporting troops.

Gentlemen,

this is to bring to your attention that although the capacity of our railroads is significant, especially after last month's addition of trains and cars throughout, there is also a significant need for distributing supply to frontline units, as can be seen in e.g. Kentucky and certain parts of Northern Virginia. Please keep this in mind before you start requisitioning railroad assets for other purposes.

Yours respectfully,
E Stanton,
Secretary of War[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Fri May 04, 2007 2:37 am

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Alexandria, VA, April 4th, 1862

I have the honor to report that our surprise move on Manassas Junction late last month was a complete success. Gen. Franklin's corps moved with alacrity and in good order and was easily able to preempt any attempted move by the confederates. Quite apart from the simple capture of the vital road junction, the move gained much valuable information. It appears that Gen J.E. Johnston is sitting with the majority of his army in the Culpeper area. We also have information of Gen. Holmes command outside of Fredricksburg. This month Gen. McClellan is willing to move despite the councils of his corps commanders, so I am having he, along with Gen. McDowell and the First Corps join Franklin in Manassas, while Gen. Sumner with the Second Corps and Gen. Keyes with the Fourth Corps move in the direction of Falmouth.

Gen. Fremont has created his new West Virginia Command. As soon as the weather clears, he should be ready to move south and threaten the Eastern Tennessee/Western Virginia area and hopefully cut that rail line.

Gen. Banks refuses to move out of Harper's Ferry despite my warnings that the city is a perfect trap with the hills surrounding his command. As soon as we have a better option for command of his army, I would request that he be relieved of duty. As it is, so long as he holds Harper's Ferry, Jackson can wither on the vine in the Valley. However, if He goes on the offensive and pushes Banks out of the city, our entire plan of action in the East will be jeopardized.

I do have bad tidings however. Outside Fortress Monroe, the defenders failed to pull back their advance units before Gen. Magruder could cut them off from support. For lack of better leadership, I have sent direct orders to the senior Colonel to attempt to evade Magruder and pull back to the fortifications. I would like to request a naval bombardment on Magruder's force if practible, as it may be the difference between success and failure. If they succeed in retreating in good order, we will face a decision on whether to let them attempt the defense alone, reinforce, or pull out of the area completely. I would suggest they stay and attempt to defend alone without reinforcement, as they are drawing off forces, but the area is not significant enough to expend too much effort on.

Also, Gen Burnside has run into significant opposition in Hardeeville, where he currently believes he has something on the order of 11 brigades under siege. This is a much more significant force than we expected to face this early, and if they are able to attempt to break the siege, it is unknown if Burnside can hold. I would prefer to continue the siege and reinforce his command, but if you prefer, we could also break off and use his command to back up the force moving on New Orleans. If we go that route, we would be able to land a force capable of immediate offensive actions in the New Orleans area.

Whatever the decision, I have detached Brig Gen. Rufus King's Division from Gen. Sumner's Third Corps and ordered them to Annapolis. This force will be available to either reinforce one of our main Eastern armies, or be available for transport to the South. If sent south, it could provide an immediate offensive capability wherever it is sent. If it remains, then it will be available to provide a quick infusion of fresh men in case of a military setback.

The final minor moves this month were the dispatch of the newly formed Old Guard Brigade to Harper's Ferry to reinforce Banks, and the shuffling of newly raised West Virginia militia to better cover the strategic cities. The order sending New York's Eagle Brigade to Harper's Ferry was mistakenly transmitted using an old code. If you could re-send it using the current encryption, I will be in your debt.

I hope to have a quiet month, but if nothing else, I believe that Gen. McClellan is active after his prolonged "illness", and should be able to hold his ground. The main area of worry now is Gen. Banks and Harper's Ferry. We've seen how adept Gen. Jackson is at turning our Valley armies into so many panicing women. I had hoped to be able to go on the offensive and take the initiative away from him, but I cannot force Gen. Banks forward against his will.

I must commend the prompt raising of the cavalry units and artillery I requested, their addition in the next month should go far in the attempt to bring the southern troopers to heel. I have Brig Gen. Phil Kearney in mind as commander. He has already begun the formation of a cavalry division, and the additional mounts and men will go well with his seeming natural affinity for mounted movement. He is reckless, but perhaps a bit of recklessness will do our men good after having been run in circles by Stuart for so long.

Now, I would like additional men to form an additional division to place in the Valley. I have the division staff available in Annapolis, in addition to the general to lead the force, now I simply need the men to fill out the units. Currently, the rear areas should be secure against any raiding the rebels can do. If, however, Banks is defeated, more significant strength must be made available. If he is driven off however, I will use the forces of the Army of the Potomac to delay any northward move. I should be able to accomplish that without leaving Manassas or Alexandria open to an attack.

I remain your obedient servant,

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Fri May 04, 2007 8:54 am

St. Louis, Mo., Early April 1862[/RIGHT]
HON. E.M. STANTON, Sec. of War;

SIR: I have the honor to bring tidings of a morale boosting victory out west: Maj. Gen. Curtis has fended off a large scale attack against Springfield by enemy cavalry and Indian regiments.

Maj. Gen. Curtis is to be commended, in my view, as the victory is entirely due to his skill and foresight. Over 1,200 of Waties' wild men perished in the initial charge, stumbling upon the entire Western Command, drawn up in full battle array, rather than the local Springfield militia they doubtless expected to have such an easy time over.

Watie himself is said to have been wounded, and is perhaps recovering somewhere in Arkansas. Van Dorn, with his main Trans-Mississippi rebel force, is still in place in Fayetteville.

Maj. Gen. Grant also bears some laurels. Maj. Gen. Lew Wallace very commendably took Columbus, Ky from local rebel militia, while Grant's other corps commander, Maj. Gen. McClerndon, occupied Humboldt without a fight. The latter reports locating Sidney Johnston's army, just across the river to the south.

Grant now intends to concentrate his forces at Humboldt, constructing a new supply depot there. Should Johnston attack, Grant feels confident he can whip him. Should they fall back, Grant, being Grant, will pursue. The interesting question is, what if they hold there at Jackson? I think it might be best, in that case, for Grant to await aid from either Pope or Buell before moving south against such a potentially large army.

Maj. Gen. Pope withdrew to Cairo with his army (actually only a full division in size), and shall board Adm. Foote's invasion fleet, and be bound for Island No. 10. Preliminary bombardment of the defense installation by the four Eads river ironclads should commence within days. Everything there is on schedule.

Maj. Gen. Buell has encircled Lexington Ky right on schedule; an assault by Crittenden's corps (already on the march from the north) is expected within six days. Opposition is reported to be local militia, plus a reinforced brigade. Should be a good fight. Both Buell and Thomas will remain within supporting distance for the assault.

A small rebel force (2-3 brigades) under Hindman managed to cross the Tennessee and scatter our partisans at Pulaski, but not before they blew the rail line there. I am not overly worried about the safety of Nashville just to the north: The region is virtually without supplies (and thanks to the gunboat patrols near the rail crossings, in unlikely to see much more), the weather is muddy, and the garrision at Nashville is substantial, (and just got reinforced by a brigade of loyal Tennessee volunteers). Newly arrived Brig. Gen. McCook is being sent to command them.

In other staffing matters, Maj. Gen. Heintzelman is en route to Grant's army (thank you for that), while Maj. Gen. Samuel Curtis' younger brother, Brig. Gen. Sigismund Curtis, has been assigned to command the landing troops in Pope's army.

It is good, of course, to have the services of so many capable generals here in the west. It would be even better, if you shall allow me to opine, to have more privates and corporals and seargents as well! I cannot help but notice the pool of available recruits is alarmingly small. And with regular infantry replacements now scarce, plus the surfeit of divisional staff in my department (after recent reorganizations, there are two idle division staffs in St. Louis alone; Pope reports depositing two in Cairo, Grant and Buell some as well), it seems to suggest a special conscription drive might be in order? Although it would no doubt be unpopular, 500 to 700 or so badly needed companies of recruits could be raised. Just a suggestion, of course.

I am, sir, your obedt. servt.,
[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Rafiki

Sat May 05, 2007 8:46 pm

April 6th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Your latest communique

General,

thank you for your report.

First extend my congratulations to General Franklin and his men on the successful maneuver to Manassas, both in securing control of the area and in providing intelligence on the rebel forces. I am not alarmed by the rebel dispositions, but I trust you'll keep me updated both on ours and their progress.

I shall also await news from General Fremont and the West Virginia Command once the roads into the Appalachians clear.

I too, am disappointed in General Banks, but I do not have any good suggestions as to who could replace him. In the meantime, he is your problem, and you shall have to deal with him as you see fit. If he refuses to use his army for the purpose it was built, he should be relieved of his command and the forces under his command incorporated into the corps of the Army of the Potomac. He may not like it, and his cronies here in Washington will not like it, but if you deal with the former, I shall deal with the latter.

Admiral Dahlgren has assumed command of the Chesapeake Fleet, and his first order is to bombard the enemy on the peninsula. I hope this will provide the support needed for our forces to reach Fort Monroe safely. It is my opinion that the forces should remain in position and monitor the Confederate defenses, since as you say, it ties up enemy forces, and the Fort may also provide a starting point for a force of some size, should a flanking move on Richmond become necessary at some point.

A detachment from the Chesapeake Fleet has been ordered up the James River. In addition to blocking off the Richmond harbor, it should be able to provide you with some information about the Richmond defenses, barring bad weather or unexpected opposition.

Has General Burnside been able to ascertain the composition of the forces opposing him? Hardeeville itself should be of little value to us compared to Savannah and Charleston, and I'd much rather see Burnside in one of those two cities, than out in the South Carolina countryside.

At the latest, and provided there is no immediate need for him south of Washington, we shall aim to ship King and his men out once Farragut returns from New Orleans, at the latest. I trust that you have ensured he is not immediately needed by McClellan, and I am confident that we shall put him to good use along the Confederate coast soon. Perhaps let him join Burnside and let him take Banks' staff with him, especially seeing as Banks' does not seem to want to put them to use.

Stanton has informed me that the commander of the Eagle Brigade has confirmed that they are underway.

I am surprised (in a positive way) by your plans for Kearney. I am not aware that such a formation has been assembled by the US Army previously, but I consider it an idea worth trying and look forward to hearing of its further developments

Your request for reinforcements has been noted; we will have to look into it before making any decisions in that area.

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sat May 05, 2007 10:02 pm

April 6th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: You latest report and requests

General,

We are happy to hear of the successes of General Curtis. He no doubt has his work cut out for him, and our goals are so much easier to achieve with able men in charge of our forces.

The same thanks and thoughts are extended to General Grant.

One thing I would like to see, is some reconnaissance to uncover the opposition facing us in the Memphis-Corinth area. I doubt Johnston is alone, and we need to know, rather than speculate.

I am pleased that both the preparations for the upcoming assault on Island 10 as well as Buell's advance in Kentucky are coming along nicely. I was concerned when hearing of the Kentuckians unexpected reaction to his arrival, but I trust that the appropriate measures are being taken to address it.

I understand your concern for more men and I aim to lessen those concerns in the time ahead.

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Sat May 05, 2007 11:53 pm

[font="Fixedsys"][RIGHT]War Department, Washington D.C.,
April 7th, 1862[/RIGHT]

Gentlemen,

this is to inform you that I have just ordered a full mobilization throughout the nation. This is a serious measure, but I believe it is warranted by the task we have ahead of us. As I write this, 28 brigades are being raised in various states in both your areas of responsibility.

I have every confidence that you will put these men to good use. We need to achieve victories on the battlefield, in order to convince the public that we are doing the right things to win the war, and this, generals, is a task I leave for you.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Mon May 07, 2007 11:12 am

April 16th, 1862[/RIGHT]

Gentlemen,

I have received encouraging news from General Butler; the forces garrisoning New Orleans appear to be small, and he will immediately start unloading from the ships and march into the city to take control of it.

I do not wish to pre-empt the results of the upcoming battle, but once New Orleans is secured, Butler and his men will be returned to General Sphar's command for the time being, due to the fact that any and all reinforcements in the foreseeable future will have to be taken from our Eastern forces. This may change when it becomes meaningful to coordinate an effort to link up with the armies currently in Missouri and Kentucky, but this is a discussion we shall leave for another day.

Respectfully,
A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Mon May 07, 2007 7:36 pm

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, April 16th, 1862

There is precious little to present for your review in this report. We have had a success, though a successful retreat is not the kind of news I wish to impart. Our forces were able to retreat into Fortress Monroe by slipping quickly past Gen Magruder's force. Their Colonels wished me to give their thanks to Admiral Dahlgren, who's support was considered invaluable in the move. We now have a fairly substantial force in the fortress, and with supply, it should be able to hold out for a good length of time. Since the move was managed with our forces intact, I have considered the possibility of sending a general to lead the garrison. Unfortunately, at this time, we have precious few leaders capable of taking the job.

Gen. Banks in the Valley is currently amenable to an advance. However, reports indicate that Gen. Jackson has been reinforced, and now outnumbers our own army there. In addition to Jackson's army, Confederate cavalry forces under Gen. Stuart are currently raiding west of the town. I have dispatched Gen. Kearney's command to attempt to deal with them. He is still currently under optimal strength levels, as the reinforcements have not yet arrived to join him, however, I feel he can at least blunt this advance and put himself in a better position for further battle when the reinforcements do arrive. This increase should occur in the next 10-15 days, and should give him enough strength to deal with Stuart. You might ask if the dispatch of Kearney will weaken the Army of the Potomac too far, with Gen. Johnston still located to the south of Manassas. I do not see Johnston as a threat at the current time, due to the storm conditions. Even should he advance, Gen McClellan has assured me that he has sufficient force to maintain his position.

In Western Virginia, I feel I must warn you that in two week's time, irregardless of weather conditions, Gen. Fremont will begin his advance. I felt the warning was necessary, as his army will be transported by train as far as possible before the march to increase the chances of our move remaining a surprise. To do this, I will have to disrupt some rail movements to ensure that enough rolling stock is allocated to the move.

Gen. Burnside's rearguard forces fought a small battle in Beaufort, SC against a force led by Gen. John Walker, and were able to inflict quite a few casualties before retreating to rejoin the main force. That force has managed to create a breach in the defenses of Hardeeville, which is our stepping stone to Savannah. I have discussed the matter of a general assault with Burnside, but he feels that some additional time is warranted for his siege. I would prefer that he went in now, as he has an additional force to deal with in Gen. Walker, but I must defer to his judgement since I cannot go to scout the situation personally. We did agree on a plan to use some of his former rearguard forces in a wide flanking maneuver, moving up the Savannah River before crossing, then coming down the opposite bank to threaten the Savannah area. They will also attempt to cut the rail lines into the city if possible.

The only other news to report is that Adm. Farragut's force has arrived before New Orleans. Gen Butler has sealed orders to immediately disembark and assault the city to ensure it's capture before reinforcements can arrive. I trust this meets with your approval. I believe that, if successful, the capture of this vital rebel city will do much to strengthen the war effort.

One final note, I have also dispatched Gen. Fitzjohn Porter to join Gen. Banks. I do not wish to replace him at the moment, but I need to have an option in place if that time comes. The meat of the issue is that in relieving Banks, the force would have to revert to being a corps in the Army of the Potomac. I have already seen how much of a brake Gen. McClellan can be on his generals, and I fear that placing Porter in command there will only serve to accentuate the problem. I fear that Gen. McClellan's influence on the army is such that the only way to improve our situation, despite all the good things he has accomplished, is his replacement. I know we have no suitable candidates at the current time, but we need to be watchful for any possibilities, either here or in the West. As it is, I cannot evaluate my current group of corps commanders until they participate in battle, and we do not appear much closer to getting the Army of the Potomac into action at this time. I could be wrong on this matter, and I hope I am, due both to Gen McClellan's influence, and the service he has already done for our armies.

Very respectfully your obdt. svt.

L.H. Sphar
Maj Gen Cmdg.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Halleck's Report, Late April 1862

Tue May 08, 2007 12:48 am

St. Louis, Mo., Late April 1862[/RIGHT]
HON. E.M. STANTON, Sec. of War;

SIR: Maj. Gen. Curtis out west in Missouri reports all quiet. Weather conditions here in Missouri are quite poor, with rain and even winter weather still predominant. The remnants of Watie's unsucessful cavalry raid have retreated to the northwest. Van Dorn sits in Fayetteville.

I am training many new Missouri regulars here in St. Loius personally. I shall send them to Curtis and perhaps other commands as needed, as they become fit for action.

Maj. Gen. Pope is landing, and due to assault Island Ten in six days. With luck both it and New Orleans will fall to us simultaneously.

Maj. Gen. Grant has completed his new depot at Humboldt. Curiously, Sidney Johnston has moved his army through the woods around Grant's left flank, blocking the rail supply line through Kentucky and Donelson.

Johnston appears to be trying to goad Grant into making the first attack, on unfavorable grounds, against roughly equal forces.

Frankly, I am concerned for Grant's supply line, but not so much due to Johnston but due to Kentucky. Popular sentiment against the Union is dropping fast, sad to say; by next turn I believe, the rail line between Louisville and Bowling Green will be unusable.

Hence, I don't see any particular reason to be goaded. Grant concurs.

This being the case, Grant has informed me he intends to regard the river supply line from Cairo through Columbus as his prefered supply artery, and shall detach Wallace's corps to Columbus to see that it does not fall into enemy hands. Also, you may want to look into increasing the number of riverboats we have for supply hauling purposes, too.

These are, as I see them, the various enemy possible moves:

1) Perhaps Johnston will move on Columbus, to further their supply denial strategy. In that case, we will see a battle. Wallace will defend, Grant, McClernand (and perhaps even Pope) will be able to march to the sound of guns.

2) Perhaps he will attack Humboldt. If so, we are, I believe, more than ready for him.

3) He may try to cross the rivers into friendly territory, but that seems quite rash to me; without the rail junction at Humboldt, such an invasion must fail for want of provisions. Nevertheless, in the event of this possibility, all available gunboats not guarding the southern rail tressles should be spread along the Ft. Henry/Paducah/Columbus bend of rivers, don't you agree?

4) The fourth option would be for Johnston to tire of blocking a supply line that Kentuckians have already blocked for him, and retire back upon his base at Corinth.

I think we are prepared for all possibilities.

It would be nice to re-secure the rail lines through Kentucky. To this end, I suggest another large scale militia call-up, this time of Ohioans. These can be sent into Kentucky to man the rail lines, county by county, and keep them open. A sad necessity for a project of this scale, I'm afraid.

As soon as Grant's supply depot at Humboldt is reasonably stocked up, he'll be ready to attack (in conjuction with Pope's river army) rather than defend. This is neccessary, the sooner the better; the weather is fair, and we need to make sure reinforcements cannot be sent to oppose Butler at New Orleans.

Grant is also in the process of forming a cavalry corps, much like the recently discovered one under Bishop Polk, whose purpose it will be to counteract Polk's cavalry, and indeed, assume the offensive very soon. Newly arrived Maj. Gen. Heintzelman is earmarked for command.

As for Buell, the situation is good, despite the seething upheaval in that state. Lexington has fallen, but not before a brigade escaped to the north. It will be dealt with, Buell assures me. As well as an advance towards both Knoxville and Clarksburg by the forces under his command. The state should be fully Union occupied by the end of next month.

I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,
[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Rafiki

Tue May 08, 2007 11:03 pm

April 18th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: Your latest status report

General,

First of all, I am thankful that our men reached Fort Monroe safely. Though their foray up the peninsula was no success, I am encouraged by the ability of our navy and our army in coordinating their efforts during the withdrawal. Our naval advantage is a fact, and we would be foolish to not make use of it when we can.

I too am troubled by the strengthening and activity of the Confederate forces in the Shenandoah Valley. Though I believe the measures you have put into effect should be sufficient to halt their advances, I would like to know: what is your contingency plan should the rebels manage to take Harper's Ferry?

Stanton assures me that when Gen Fremont finally decides to move out, he will find all the locomotives and cars he'll need to move his troops. Do make sure that he makes use of them; it would be a shame to see our railroads idle because of indecisive generals...

The news from South Carolina are encouraging. Unless you see use for them elsewhere, I suggest that we plan for Farragut to transport 3rd division to reinforce Burnside, but this will have to be decided by you, especially in light of any upcoming changes in the situations in both South Carolina and in Virginia.

A possible alternative for 3rd division might perhaps be a naval assault directly on the city of Richmond? The reports I've seen from our forces patrolling the Confederate waters indicate that the city might not be heavily defended, since at least some of the units present surely must be mustering and barely ready for combat. What are your thoughts on the feasibility of such an attack?

The sooner Butler can raise the Union flag in New Orleans, the better. Capturing New Orleans is in my opinion the most significant immediate goal in our struggle, and taking it will, as you point out, have effects beyond controlling the main estuary of the Mississippi.

As for our senior generals, I have little to add to what you say. Replacing any of them is sure to raise a ruckus, but that will also happen if rebel troops should march into Washington D.C. I don't view the situation as a crisis for the time being, but should junior commanders prove themselves worthy of greater tasks, I won't hesitate to make the necessary changes and reassign those "over the top" to more suitable tasks. Keep me updated with your evaluations of the good and the bad; you insight into this matter is highly valued.

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Tue May 08, 2007 11:39 pm

To: President Lincoln

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, April 19th, 1862

Your Excellency,

In regards to the Valley threat, in the event of an advance by Jackson, I have made contingency plans to immediately move one of the corps of the Army of the Potomac, either McDowell or Franklin back to support Banks in retaking the city. Should this fail, I will have three options.

One would be to pull the entire Army of the Potomac back to cover Washington and push Jackson back.

The second option would be to move a strong force under the direct command of Gen. McClellan to join in the attack, basically a simple reinforcement of the forces involved.

The third option, which I currently favor, would be to move either Gen. Sumner or Gen. Keyes with their corps in an attack on Winchester. This would provide less risk to our armies as we could fight from defensive positions, and if the forces are properly deployed, could result in three corps being in action against Jackson's force. In addition, the move would cut Jackson completely off from his supply base. Harper's Ferry has some capacity, but nothing like the scale necessary to support a force that large. This would leave only three corps in the Manassas/Falmouth area, but I feel that if Jackson is being as heavily reinforced as our intelligence suggests, this should be sufficient to stop all but the most determined attacks on our position, now that we have had time to entrench our units.

Of course, I am open to any possibilities you suggest in this matter, as the safety of Washington and the Northern states has been entrusted by the people into your hands, I must bow to your wishes in the matter of that safety.

I will ensure that Gen. Fremont moves regardless of any objections he chooses to put forth. The move will probably take the better part of three weeks, but the defense of such a far flung outpost of the Virginia hills cannot possibly be a priority in the minds of the Southern government. Even if Fremont is not ready, his force should be sufficient to overwhelm any opposition. The cutting of this rail line should improve the situation in Kentucky where Gen. Buell has recently captured Lexington I hear. If Fremont can do his job, there will be but a single rebel rail line into the Eastern portion of the state, and any reinforcement the Rebels attempt will either have to march, or travel by an extremely circuitous route. In addition, given enough supply, I may be able to use the position to threaten both Eastern Kentucky and Tennessee, or the southern end of the Valley by simply having a force in being at that place, with the capability to advance. If the move does succeed, and the prospects for holding the position look good, I will require the addition of at least two supply trains in order to build a depot there to ensure supplies for the force.

I would gladly see 3rd Division sent South. The reinforcements we should start receiving in the next few weeks can make up for the loss of King's division, and provide me with a reserve to throw in where necessary. I am not altogether confident in Gen. Butler's ability if we succeed in taking New Orleans and the rebels make a determined push to retake the crown jewel of their gulf coast. More men does not always make up for bad generalship, but it has rarely hurt.

I would advise against a direct attack on Richmond. Poorly defended it may be, but I feel that making such an attack would buy precious little relief at the front, and could quickly turn into a suicide mission for the division if there are more troops there than those we currently know about. The loss of a complete force that size would be an incredible confidence boost for the Confederacy, and we cannot allow their confidence to get any higher as they have too much of it already.

As always, your obedient servant,

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

Rafiki

Tue May 08, 2007 11:58 pm

April 19th, 1862[/RIGHT]

In regards to: You latest report and requests

General,

It can hardly be a coincidence if the weather in Missouri should clear at the same time that significant reinforcements become available to General Curtis. I have a hope that the Confederates do not see him as a significant threat, and that Gen Curtis is able to "kick in the barn doors" in the west before the Confederates manage to react properly. It should be an interesting summer on the banks of the Arkansas and beyond.

When you receive reports from General Pope, I trust you'll keep me informed. Once Island no 10 is taken, the advance on Memphis should begin immediately. Make sure that Pope coordinates his actions closely with Foote, also after the fort has fallen, even if Foote no longer will be directly under his/

I concur with yours and Grant's evaluation of the situation involving Johnston. Though I hate to wait and see, it does seem the best action for now. In any case, the Mississippi gunboats have been ordered to close off the railroad crossing between Henry and Stewart, a blockade that should be in place with a week. This means that the only other Tennessee crossings that will be closed are the ones at Decatur, but such are the limits of our blockade capabilities at the moment.

Stanton assures me that supplies have reached Forts Henry and Donnelson by rail through Kentucky lately, though there were some attacks by minor groups of Confederate partisans or sympathizers. I have called up 6 regiments of Ohio militia, as per your request, and if that does not prove sufficient to secure our supply lines in Kentucky, Buell may have to assign some of his units to assist the militia.

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Rafiki

Wed May 09, 2007 12:19 am

April 20th, 1862[/RIGHT]

General,

it seems you have a good understanding and the necessary foresight to manage any of the possible developments at Harper's Ferry.

Fremont should plan on swinging left when he reaches south of the mountains. Buell has the situation in Kentucky under control, and Fremont is of more immediate use as a threat to Richmond. New supply trains will not be available till May, so if you have others that can be sent to Fremont (and thereafter replaced by reinforcements), I think that would be the best solution to his supply problems.

Since the railroad between Christianburg and Knoxville is of no immediate strategic value to us, Fremont should be given a detachment that can be sent to tear that line up, in case Fremont should be forced out of the area later on. If the Confederates wish to shift forces between East and West, we owe it to ourselves to make that as hard as possible.

Your concerns over an assault on Richmond from the sea are noted, and I guess I already had reache dthe same conclusion. However, no stone shall remain unturned, as long as we make sure to think things fully through. As always, I appreciate your honesty, and I hope you never cease to speak your mind in our discussions.

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Spharv2

Thu May 10, 2007 8:35 pm

From: HQ - Army of the Potomac, Manassas, VA, May 4th, 1862

Jackson is on the march. I have received word from Gen. Banks that Jackson is approaching his army in Harper's Ferry. From his reports it appears that the rebels are roughly equal to us in strength. Banks has prepared his defenses and states that he should be able to hold until reinforcements arrive. I immediately dispatched two corps from the Army of the Potomac to the Valley. General Franklin's Corps has been dispatched to support Banks, but will take about three weeks to arrive. We will have to hope that Banks can hold that long.

General Sumner's Corps is moving on Winchester with all speed. They should arrive in no more than 10 days and are set to attack and take the city at all costs if Gen. Kearney is not able to take the city ahead of him. Gen. Stuart did as we expected and broke the B&O line west of Harper's Ferry, then pulled back to Winchester. Kearney outnumbers him roughly 3-1 and will continue to pursue him. Once Sumner arrives and captures Winchester, Jackson will be trapped, regardless of the outcome of the battle in Harper's Ferry. If we can hold the city, all the better, as we should be able to crush him between our forces. He has escaped us before, but we have never pursued him this vigorously, and with this much power. God willing, there will be no escape this time. I will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed of any developments.

General Fremont is on his way. It is straining our rail capacity, but that is one area we have a huge advantage over the rebels, and it would be foolish to not use our advantage. If they attempted to move a force as large as ours by rail, their entire rail system would come crashing down. He should arrive in roughly three weeks, and can hopefully be persuaded to make an immediate attack, as he is still leery of this, although I have assured him he will face nothing more imposing than militia.

On the Georgia/South Carolina border, Gen. Burnside continues to refuse to throw his troops into the breach he has made in the Hardeeville defenses. I sympathize with his care for his men, but he will need to move soon before Savannah is further reinforced. Time is of the essence, and he fails to grasp this fact. His side force continues to attempt to find a ford over the Savannah river. They should be across and tearing up rail lines in the next week.

Gen. Parke is now active in Florida. While an unimportant theater, some good can be made of his men to cause yet another problem for the rebels. I instructed him to dispatch a regiment west to take Palatka, and another south to capture New Smyrna. Basically these are just missions to show the flag and re-establish our presence and authority. Once they have captured the towns, we will see what further use can be made of his force. A move up the coast to threaten Jacksonville is possible, but his force is small, and we might not want to take a risk on that for the moment.

Now, sir, the grand news of the month. New Orleans is ours! Gen Butler disembarked and states that he did not even face any opposition to his occupation of the city. We now control the largest city in the Confederacy, and have closed the Mississippi river. He is already requesting reinforcements to assume an offensive posture in the area, as he states that the rebels have left nearly the entire area undefended. I assured him that reinforcements were on the way, and have begun to look at possible operations. I would suggest the quick capture of Forts St. Phillip and Jackson to fully open the ingress to the river, and possibly also the early capture of Berwick, as it should provide a good base for naval operations. If we can collect enough strength to add another division to his forces, we can begin to look upriver at targets, as they will undoubtedly be more strongly defended.

I know we are having problems with recruitment, but if possible, we definitely need additional replacements. We may be entering a decisive phase in the East, and I expect several large battles in the coming weeks. As it is now, I will be unable to keep any heavily damaged units on the lines, as I won't have the men to fill them. I know this is a hard time, but the armies must be supported, they are all that stands between the rebels and Washington, and they are growing rapidly in strength.

L.H.Sphar, Gen.

jimwinsor
General of the Army

Fri May 11, 2007 9:35 am

St. Louis, Mo., Early May 1862[/RIGHT]

SIR: I have the honor to relay the news that Maj Gen. Pope has taken Island No. 10, along with 200 prisoners, 6 guns, and considerable stores and ammunition.

This superb victory, such a wonderful bookend to New Orleans, does leave us with a decision to make, however. Should Pope continue south down the Mississippi, and take Memphis? Or should he lend his support to Maj. Gen. Grant nearby, in an all out effort to destroy the main western rebel army, encamped near Humboldt?

My inclination is to strike at Memphis, but only after a reconaissance by gunboat is made, and determines it to be lightly guarded.

Grant informs me, Pope or no Pope, he plans to order an attack towards Corinth, which is predicted will cause Sidney Johnston to scurry back from his tenuous position, and back upon his base; thus likely bringing a battle on our terms. Not to mention bringing us Corinth. The exact details of this imminent offensive are still being hammered out, but involve a southward thrust by Heintzelman's new cavalry corps and/or McClernand's corps.

No major news out of Missouri, save that new recruits are now being organized, and forwarded to Curtis, and a cavalry expedition is being fitted out.

In Kentucky, Buell informes me the last rebel towns should be taken within the next couple weeks, and that Maj. Gen. Thomas is now poised to march into the Cumberland Gap, and advance on Knoxville; no opposition is to be seen on this front. Quite encouraging news, I must say.

Lastly, if I may be forgiven the presumption of sticking my nose into nautical matters; as to the deployment of our wooden river gunboats: I think they may be more usefully employed singly, rather than in larger flotillas; a single gunboat is, in most cases, able to interdict a stretch of river from rebel crossings, I believe. It seems to me Adm. Porter is being too overly cautious with his boats, keeping them gathered together, when spreading them out would be more militarily efficacious.

[RIGHT]H.W. HALLECK,

Rafiki

Sun May 13, 2007 10:44 pm

May 10th, 1862[/RIGHT]

General,

the news of the capture of New Orleans has been received with great joy here in Washington. Farragut has been ordered to return to Annapolis, and I have no problem should at least some of the forces being assembled there be designated for New Orleans. Gaining control of the forts outside New Olreans should be prioritized, especially since we now will start using the city as the base for the navy's Gulf Squadrons.

I receive your news concerning Jackson with encouragement. Not because I do not think he poses a threat; Jackson is far too smart and his force is too large to not be taken seriously, but because I feel that the Confederates now have played their hand when it comes to the Shenandoah Valley. I have reviewed the reports and plans you have made available to us, and I have every confidence that you and your men have a good chance at destroying Jackson's force, as well as secure Union control of the Valley. Godspeed to you all in the upcoming campaign.

I am thrilled that Fremont finally is underway, but I cannot help but wonder if it is necessary for you and Halleck to prove exactly how many troops our railways are able to transport. Stanton and Chase are doing their utmost to increase our capacity, but our soldiers will wonder why they have stopped receiving food, new uniforms and ammunition. Given the special needs these days, I expect things to return to a more normal level of usage once some of the larger movements have been completed, but in the meantime, make sure your supply officers make the most of every ounce of food, piece of equipment and bullet they currently have in stock.

As for Burnside, I truly hope he finds out of what he wants to do soon. No doubt, there are Confederate reinforcements underway, and I'd much rather see Burnside dealing with them on their own, rather than fighting any newcomers put together with the current garrisons of the area.

Parke seems to have found a good balance between advancing into new areas and keeping the forces gathered enough to not become too spread out and vulnerable. Florida may not be a central theater (yet), but Parke is off to a good start in stirring up some trouble and perhaps drawing forces away from theaters further north.

I do have some unwelcome news. We will not be calling up any new infantry units in the immediate future, since our recruitment efforts have stagnated after the recent mobilization. I intend to order the formation of some artillery units, seeing as they depend less on headcount than do other units you have need for, but the new recruits will be prioritized to filling up already existing units rather than forming new ones. If you are unsure that the Army of the Potomac will be able to hold, you'll have to reconsider Fremont's orders.

A. Lincoln[/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

Return to “Grand Campaign I (archive)”