aryaman

Cities in the game

Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:31 am

Hi
In the mod map I have included Most of Iberia (excluding Portugal and the North coast) Southern France, most of Italy (excluding Friul and Tyrol) and Northern Africa from Tunis to Tangiers. I have included 47 cities so far, those that for historical importance I think should be in, but I wonder, what is the function of cities in the game? should I include other cities for game reasons?

Rafiki

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:02 pm

In the game, cities have a central role in supply distribution; how does that relate to this mod?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Pocus

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:53 pm

I guess you will use the 'simple supply mode', ie the BOA/WIA one, which is without the automated distribution of supply from structures to structures (the AACW system), and thus relies on structures as supply islands, which generates by themselves supply and keep it.

So structures are used to:
a) produce supplies
b) shelter from winter
c) siege locations

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

aryaman

Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:58 pm

Well, that is a very interesting question. In NCP only regions with a city provide supply, my idea for the mod is that even regions without a city will provide supply, if that is possible.
The rationale behind this is that logistics worked very differently in premodern times (taking as a time line for that period mid XVII century). Armies didn´t have supply lines, instead they got supply from the regions they were marching through. My idea is not to have supply distribution at all, but to have every region to produce it independently.

Pocus

Sat Feb 02, 2008 2:36 pm

yes, so this is the simple supply mode. No problem... the rest is only tweaking data.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

aryaman

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:02 pm

In NCP manual it is said that the GS points produced by a city is the result of multiply the city level by 8. However in the scenario setup .xls there is a column for supply, and the numbers there have nothing to do with that, For instance, Dublin, a citi level 6 (and port level 4) has a supply level 1, what are for those numbers in the supply column then?

PhilThib

Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:35 pm

Those numbers represent extra supply production, which comes as a permanent bonus added to city level

aryaman

Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:29 pm

I guess then that if a number is given to a region, it will produce that ammount of supply even if there is no structure in the region, right?

PhilThib

Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:32 pm

No, only if there is a city :bonk:

aryaman

Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:47 pm

Then, only if there is an structure in the region can supply be produced in the region? That will make things considerably more complicated :(

PhilThib

Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:27 pm

No, you do not got the point... every region produces supply, more or less (based on civ level and terrain). Then structures add supply, according to type and size... and in addition some cities may add an extra production of supply... so on the contrary the system is very flexible :sourcil:

Pocus

Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:37 am

That's right, but the additional production you see in the scenario file won't be used because you'll use the BOA simple model. This is only valid for the advanced supply model.

In simple supply mode, all regions produce supply, either from structures or from the countryside. This supply is expressed in supply chits, worth 5 supply points each. These chits are used by units in the region or adjacent, then lost. There is no stock.

aryaman

Sun Feb 03, 2008 11:04 am

Ok, then it is not necessary to include many more cities, just enough to provide shelter in winter in some regions.

Return to “Punic Wars Project”