aryaman

Questions on Fortresses

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:16 pm

Hi all
I have been experimenting with the highest level of fortresses. In the second Punic War, like in many other premodern wars, sieges could last for a long time, so I tried to see if with the maximum level of fortress a large garrison could make assault such a costly proposition as to force players to besiege large cities for a long time. I tried that with Massalia, it was very large city with powerful defenses (in the war against pompeius, Caesar left a blocking army to besiege the city, as he was unable to take it by assault). Now in the game it has a large garrison (30.000 strong) with no command penalty, Hannibal assault the city with his army, a bit over 40.000, he takes the city everytime, with casualties not larger than 6.000 (less costly than crossing the Alps).
To sum up, fortresses don´t give enough protection, something I have already experienced in NCP, but even the maximum level of fortress is not enough, any possible solution? I guess the numbers could be modified, another idea I have, is it possible to forbid assault unless the walls are breached? that would prevent inmediate assaults and force the player to take long sieges.
Any suggestions?

Pocus

Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:38 pm

The best solution is to tweak the terrains matrix, there is a battleground called Fort. You can make fortress as resilient as you wish with the system.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

aryaman

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:27 pm

Pocus wrote:The best solution is to tweak the terrains matrix, there is a battleground called Fort. You can make fortress as resilient as you wish with the system.

And how do you tweak that? what files? I haven´t tweaked terrain matrix before

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:35 pm

Pocus wrote:The best solution is to tweak the terrains matrix, there is a battleground called Fort. You can make fortress as resilient as you wish with the system.

Interesting!
Please, Aryaman to try and report results :neener: .........They could be of interest to NCP too!

To Aryaman: I suggest you to evaluate possible employement of ChangeStrucLevel command. In ancient age fortresses and cities when conquered by enemy where often razed.....
Using an EvalRgnObj command as condition and then ChangeStrucLevel for city structures you can see a valuable metropolis changed to a village.
Ney: The army will not move!
Napoleon: The army will obey me!
Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

Return to “Punic Wars Project”