aryaman

Movement rates

Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi all
I have been pondering hard about this. The scenario will be one full month/turn, at that level the difference between infantry and cavalry in movement rate is negligible, so I am thinking about giving all units the same movement type, that of hvyinf, how could affect that units and the game? would be any effect on combat?

PhilThib

Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:12 pm

No, movement rates have no direct influence in battle itself, IIRC. Playing on the combat abilities like "Charge" for cavalry would still give them the necessary edge...

I believe your analysis is right... in addition, long-range cavalry raids were not so much frequent in that time.

Of course that would be different if you were making a mod on the Great Invasions era...because then we would "need" the faster cav movement for all those nomadic hordes... ;)

aryaman

Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:55 am

PhilThib wrote:
Of course that would be different if you were making a mod on the Great Invasions era...because then we would "need" the faster cav movement for all those nomadic hordes... ;)

Don´t be mislead by romantic ideas about Barbarian hordes, they were moving at foot pace, and even those hordes with strong cavalry, like the Goths, sent only small parties for raiding, but only for several days before returning to the main force, that is the reason, time scale, why I am considering that, if the game was 7 days turn it would be logical to have them, 15 days turn is already questionable in my opinion (I hate the long distance cavalry raids you can so easily make in AACW!) but in one month, no doubt they are out of the question.

Return to “Punic Wars Project”