Pocus

patch 1.04 public beta test

Tue May 13, 2008 5:27 pm

Dear players,

Here is the new patch 1.04, in public beta status. Comments are welcome before the official release.

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/latest/patch_NCP_v1.04-beta-rc1.zip

==============================================================================
THIS PATCH DOES NOT WORKS FOR THE 1.00 VERSION, if you have not installed
the Foundation Patch before.

Napoleon's Campaigns Patch 1.04 beta / May, 2008

Bugs
- fixed: Naval Combat had a bug on cohesion.
- fixed: lone artillery could be redeployed.
- fixed: a rare bug where a ZIP gamefile would not be recognized correctly.
- fixed: Partisans units were not shown in the Unit List (Ledger page F1)
- fixed: a bug of password querying.

Gameplay
- When a depot or village is burned, supply is reduced to the stock needed for one turn of supply (of the units present in the region).
- changed: Generals being discharged from army command, or bypassed by another general when an army is formed will now lose 1 to 4 seniority ranks.
- added: Divisions can now replace whole lost elements.
- Fatigue and losses of men both from movements and standing attrition revised. Historical Attrition should be less harsh. Attrition from movements is higher in bad weather, but is less important from enemy territory.All parameters have been exported into a new option file for modders. See the modding forum for further instructions.
- Various adjustments in the database.
- March to the Sound of Guns improvements: a corps can intervene once per day maximum, and 1 cohesion point / day of 'virtual' march is lost doing so.
- changed: movement speed now takes the slowed element within an unit.
- changed: Seniority changes are now 50% faster (in good ... or bad)
- Units in a structure are always considered as being passive for Cohesion recovery (netting a +2 per day overall, +1 from Passive, +1 from Structure). Reminder,if besieged, you lose -1.5 though.

Scenarios & events

- Many typos fixed in events.
- Some events were not translated in their game text.

- PW scenario:
- Cintra event fixed.
- Tweak on Joseph arrival and Murat departure.
- Napoleon now arrives in October, when the Erfurt treaty was signed.
- GuardRemove1809 event was broken.
- str1808CampaignBackground1 shortened for the French version only.

- 1809 scenario
- Fixed a bug with the Kroat uprising.

Database
- Guards Lancers are no more heavy cavalry
- French Carabiniers are now heavy cavalry.
- Combat signature variable added. Cavalry should be less targeted before closing for the charge.
- HorsePerHit and GunsPerHit added, for a better battle report.

AI
- AI: Better decision making for standing outside or inside structures.
- AI: AI can now burn depots in very hostile areas.
- AI improvement: AI is more clever in the use of Army HQ.

Interface
- The keys 'Q' and 'W' can now be used to cycle through fixed units

---------------------------

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Carnium

Tue May 13, 2008 8:27 pm

Excellent stuff. Downloading&installing&playing right away :siffle:

oxford_guy
Corporal

Tue May 13, 2008 9:51 pm

Pocus wrote:Dear players,

- PW scenario:
- Cintra event fixed.
- Tweak on Joseph arrival and Murat departure.
- Napoleon now arrives in October, when the Erfurt treaty was signed.
- GuardRemove1809 event was broken.
- str1808CampaignBackground1 shortened for the French version only.

The "Huge French Engineer" bug still exists for all French Engineers in the Peninsular War scenario (see:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8945), but you probably know that... :siffle:

Pocus

Tue May 13, 2008 10:20 pm

yes indeed, this asks to recreate all scenarios though, so we prefer to do that once (or twice) at most before the official release ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

arsan

Tue May 13, 2008 10:28 pm

Pocus wrote:yes indeed, this asks to recreate all scenarios though, so we prefer to do that once (or twice) at most before the official release ;)

All scenarios?? The Spanish Ulcer is the only one with huge engineers.
The rest are OK... :siffle:

Carnium

Tue May 13, 2008 11:10 pm

Tried a quick scenario (Last flight of the Eagle).
Whinyates Bty unit picture still not fixed
the French AI is "strange". I managed to win in 3 turns by doing practically nothing :
FIRST TURN : re-ordered my troops so that the leader penalty for all corps is gone and gave them the defensive stance. AI sends all troops to Bruxelles and attacks it.
Three huge battles occur where he looses cca 80.000 men ( + 18.000 POWs) and gets a huge NM hit.
SECOND TURN : sending my troops that still have more or less intact units toward Lille. Two battles occur and at the turn end the AI has 101.000 casualties and 19.000+ POWs.
THIRD TURN : all out attack (instead of besieging ) Lille. AI has 108.000 casualties, 20.000 POWs.
GAME OVER

My total losses were cca 51.000 casualties. Score 540 vs 20.

No time to play more today as it is kinda late :p leure:

oxford_guy
Corporal

Wed May 14, 2008 1:26 pm

Have been trying play the Russo-Swedish scenario with this patch, its seems to crash (Blue Screen of Death...) more frequently than usual, but have been unable to tell whether this is a reaction to some consistent behaviour yet

Pocus

Wed May 14, 2008 1:47 pm

BSOD are strictly hardware related...

arsan

Wed May 14, 2008 2:05 pm

:bonk: I have never had a BSOD with any Ageod game (BoA AACW, NCP..) in two years...
I have had a couple of times an error message followed by a termination of the game, but never a BSOD or hard crash.
If you had frequent BSOD there must be some compatibility problem on your PC... :p leure:
Regards

oxford_guy
Corporal

Wed May 14, 2008 2:11 pm

Pocus wrote:BSOD are strictly hardware related...

Well I guess I am running NCP on an Apple Macbook Pro (using Windows XP SP2 under via Bootcamp)... NCP didn't used to BSOD so much though!

Franciscus

Wed May 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Try to lower memory usage to the minimum in the options panel. It might help :cwboy: .

Regards

Sol Invictus

Wed May 14, 2008 2:13 pm

Sounds good; I have been waiting anxiously for a historical attrition tweak.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

oxford_guy
Corporal

Wed May 14, 2008 2:37 pm

Franciscus wrote:Try to lower memory usage to the minimum in the options panel. It might help :cwboy: .

Okay. I've got 4Gb RAM, though Windows only seems to see 3Gb of it, maybe this is related?

Primasprit

Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 pm

Okay. I've got 4Gb RAM, though Windows only seems to see 3Gb of it, maybe this is related?

Win 32 can only allocate about 3.25 GM memory, so this is normal and shouldn't lead to any problems. :cwboy:

arsan

Wed May 14, 2008 2:43 pm

You have plenty of RAM, that's for sure. I only have 1 Gb and some people play (badly i presume) with 512 MB... but maybe playing form a Mac need more RAM...

Franciscus

Wed May 14, 2008 3:50 pm

My suggestion to tweak memory usage does not have a direct relationship with the amount of RAM in your system. It is related to the interplay between your graphics card and your RAM and the way your memory is "flushed" between turns. With my previous card (with 256 Mb internal memory), although with 2 Gig RAM in my system, I had frequent critical errors in AACW (no BSOD, though, but that may be related to bootcamp ??), that were solved by tweaking this parameter (I can even claim to have "forced" Pocus to make this an easy option :innocent: ).
Now, with my "new" card ATI 2600, 1 Gig graphic memory, I seem to have no more such problems

Good gaming

oxford_guy
Corporal

Wed May 14, 2008 3:57 pm

arsan wrote:You have plenty of RAM, that's for sure. I only have 1 Gb and some people play (badly i presume) with 512 MB... but maybe playing form a Mac need more RAM...

Shouldn't do, in Bootcamp mode it should work just like any intel PC, I'm not running Windows using virtualisation technology or anything like that

oxford_guy
Corporal

Wed May 14, 2008 3:59 pm

Franciscus wrote:My suggestion to tweak memory usage does not have a direct relationship with the amount of RAM in your system. It is related to the interplay between your graphics card and your RAM and the way your memory is "flushed" between turns. With my previous card (with 256 Mb internal memory), although with 2 Gig RAM in my system, I had frequent critical errors in AACW (no BSOD, though, but that may be related to bootcamp ??), that were solved by tweaking this parameter (I can even claim to have "forced" Pocus to make this an easy option :innocent: ).
Now, with my "new" card ATI 2600, 1 Gig graphic memory, I seem to have no more such problems

If it makes any difference I'm using Nvdia 8600 GT graphics with 512Mb RAM. Will try tweaking the memory usage settings in NCP

aryaman

Wed May 14, 2008 4:57 pm

What is the Foundation Patch?

PhilThib

New Spanish Ulcer campaign

Wed May 14, 2008 4:58 pm

For those who want to try it, here are the new Spanish Ulcer campaign scenario and events files :coeurs:

The main (and critical) changes are:

- NM required to win has been lowered
- British reinforcements will always appear, even if Portugal has fallen (they shall show up in Mallorca in such a case)
- Gibraltar defenses have been boosted...

I am open to introducing other changes if need be... play and comment :indien:
Attachments
Spanish_Ulcer.rar
(93.17 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

PhilThib

Wed May 14, 2008 5:00 pm

aryaman wrote:What is the Foundation Patch?

It's a patch that fixes Nobilis French boxed version (and only this one), as it was released earliest and needed quite a few graphical fixes. It does not apply to our download version or Nobilis non-French versions :indien:

Pocus

Wed May 14, 2008 5:34 pm

In fact, gamers gate also sold some 1.00 so the Foundation patch should also be applied in this case. In all others case (version 1.01 or later) only the latest patch is needed.

oxford_guy
Corporal

Wed May 14, 2008 5:39 pm

PhilThib wrote:For those who want to try it, here are the new Spanish Ulcer campaign scenario and events files :coeurs:

- British reinforcements will always appear, even if Portugal has fallen (they shall show up in Mallorca in such a case)

Hurrah! Will give this a go... Has anything been done yet about reducing the number of Spanish Partisan and Militia replacements and increasing the number of Line Infantry replacements? See this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7085

Carnium

Wed May 14, 2008 5:46 pm

oxford_guy wrote:its seems to crash (Blue Screen of Death...) more frequently than usual, but have been unable to tell whether this is a reaction to some consistent behaviour yet

I had HUGE problems with BSOD early this year and it seems that I have fixed it.
Try this :
- check the type of your ram. It is best to have all ram of the same brand and SIZE ( i.e. all 512 MB or all 1 GB or more )
- check your virtual memory settings (my computer,control panel,performance and maintenance, system, advanced ,virtual memory)
- if you have on-board sound card, update the drivers for it
- clean your windows registry (http://www.ccleaner.com/) and run windows updates ( if you are using FireFox : http://windowsupdate.62nds.com/ )
- search for known Trojans and Spyware http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
and http://www.lavasoftusa.com/single/trialpay.php

**** GOOD LUCK ****

arsan

Wed May 14, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi
One little bug with 1.04

Scenario: Austerlitz
Problem: Hugel leader (starts in Stuttgart locked until turn 2) is a * leader but is able to form a corps. Maybe he is a ** leader but his nato icon is wrong?
I attach a screen.
Cheers
Attachments
hugel corps.jpg

arsan

Wed May 14, 2008 8:09 pm

PhilThib wrote:For those who want to try it, here are the new Spanish Ulcer campaign scenario and events files :coeurs:

Mega engenieers units problem is also solved! :coeurs:

Queeg
Lieutenant Colonel

Thu May 15, 2008 12:35 am

oxford_guy wrote:If it makes any difference I'm using Nvdia 8600 GT graphics with 512Mb RAM. Will try tweaking the memory usage settings in NCP

You shouldn't have any trouble running any of the AGEOD games on that model MacBook Pro. I'm using the previous model (with the 256MB Nvidia card) and have never had a BSOD. I've also never had to tweak any memory settings, etc. Ideas:

1. Reinstall NC to make sure there isn't a bug there.

2. Also, check your video driver. Are you using the one that came with Boot Camp? You can get more up-to-date drivers here: http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/

2. Consider reinstalling Windows. You really shouldn't be having any serious problems running any game on your machine, so you may have a bad Windows installation.

3. If you keep having BSODs, you may have an overheating problem. Do your fans rev up when the game is running? You may have a fan problem.

PhilThib

Thu May 15, 2008 9:16 am

oxford_guy wrote:Hurrah! Will give this a go... Has anything been done yet about reducing the number of Spanish Partisan and Militia replacements and increasing the number of Line Infantry replacements? See this thread: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7085

Not yet...It can be done easily, but it is risky to alter figures without a sound evaluation... what is your suggestion? By how many % they have to be reduced in your mind...? :indien:

oxford_guy
Corporal

Thu May 15, 2008 10:36 am

PhilThib wrote:Not yet...It can be done easily, but it is risky to alter figures without a sound evaluation... what is your suggestion? By how many % they have to be reduced in your mind...? :indien:

I think Nial (see link in previous email) has done alot of experimentation with this, so is perhaps the best person to ask. I think he told me last week that he's away this week, though.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 15, 2008 6:46 pm

Did you forget this?

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8586

Leader & HQ redeployement Special Command ! :p leure:

JastaV

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”