Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

German Places and Regions

Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:03 pm

In my first NCP game (Poland 1807), I noticed a few minor errors with place name spellings and region/area affiliations. Maybe these are things that can be fixed in a patch at some point?

1. Regions/areas: I am aware that these is probably not intended to be an actual representation of the political map at that time; rather areas equate roughly to historical regions or provinces, still some things could be improved.
- There is no West- and Ost-Pommern. They should be Vor- and Hinterpommern, respectively.
- Glogau and Grünberg should be part of Silesia (Schlesien), not the Lausitz.
- The three easternmost regions of Ostpreussen should be Polish. These are lands that were under Prussian rule since the partitions of Poland, but not a historical part of East Prussia. Prussia lost them after Tilsit to the Duchy of Warsaw.
- The map is missing West Prussia (Westpreussen). If everything from the Vistula (Weichsel) to the Memel (Niemen) is one area, it should be named Preussen, not Ostpreussen. Otherwise, the easternmost provinces of Pommern, the two northernmost of Grosspolen, and the westernmost of Ostpreussen should become Westpreussen.

2. Spelling of names:
- Mecklenburg (with an "n") is correct, as the map has it. The tooltip information says Mecklemburg (with an "m").
- In Mecklenburg, the region is correctly labeled Wittenberge. However, the town is called Wittenberg (no "e").
- Grossbeeren (needs an additional "e")
- Görlitz (with an "ö")
- Grünberg (with an "ü")
- Königgrätz (needs both an "ö" and an "ä") - presently, the region has Koniggrätz and the town Königgratz :)
- Olmütz (with an "ü") - correct in the region and tooltip, but the town says Olmutz
- Lötzen (in Ostpreussen)
- Neidenburg (ditto, not Niedenburg)
- Königsberg (yes, Koenigsberg is a correct transliteration, but you have an "ö" elsewhere)
- Insterburg (map says Intersburg)
- Lüneburg (not Luneburg)
- Halberstadt (correct in the region and tooltip, but the town is now labelled Halberstad, without a "t")

This is just from what I saw today in playing Poland. There is more ... should I keep it coming? :innocent:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

morvael
Sergeant

Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:35 pm

Long time ago I have proposed some changes to the map of Poland and neighboring areas which of course include Prussia, they were even more radical than yours. I hope they will make it into NCP one day, since some cities and regions are terribly mismatched (see Warsaw):
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=6335

PhilThib

Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:48 am

I still have the data by myself, I just can't find the time to do that important change (should take 3-4 full days of time which I do not have till April at best :p leure: )... but it will be done :cwboy:

morvael
Sergeant

Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:16 pm

Great, I have the rest of the data (cavalry, artillery) but I wasn't posting it since the first part (map) wasn't done :)

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:02 pm

So to come back to the original question ... is there an interest in fixing spelling errors? Should I go over the rest of the German parts of the map? :innocent:

With respect to areas, what are they supposed to actually represent? Territories, parts of territories, historical regions ... which year? Do I get it right that sometimes a tiny historical territory (like Anhalt) was used to represent an entire region (in this case, most of the later Prussian parts of Saxony)?

And what is an area good for, in game terms? Any particular reason for not just taking a historical political map?

It would be good to know the basic idea to come up with useful suggestions for improvements. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:06 pm

Hm, no interest in making some corrections? Pity. This game is just beginning to grow on me, but fighting battles in East Prussia for places like "Intersburg" or "Niedenburg" sort of spoils it for me. It's like playing an ACW game where the fight is for the capital cities of Wassingtun and Rishmodn. :(

PhilThib

Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:09 pm

Provide us with a list of corrections, and if everyone agrees we can make them true :siffle: :indien: :coeurs:

Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard

Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:17 pm

PhilThib wrote:Provide us with a list of corrections, and if everyone agrees we can make them true :siffle: :indien: :coeurs:

All I wanted to know. :)

Franciscus

Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:41 am

I for myself also found several inaccuracies in Portugal, and have corrected them in a micro-mod, available for anyone interested in the mod section. Back when I posted it, I urged other players to also make corrections/suggestions relating to their countries.
Glad that the thing was not forgotten :coeurs:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:52 am

No, not forgotten, but Philippe Thibault has been going through a lot of important work for AGEod recently.

Yesterday, a general meeting of the team took place and Philippe mentioned to us that he was really sorry for not answering some of the work proposed for NCP. Map fixing was among the main tasks he listed.

I know an important work has been done for Germany, Poland, Portugal and Spain. You can help Philippe by gathering all the info and mod file in one thread. The more it will be readily usable, the less time consuming it will be for Philippe Thibaut (as he works on VGN too) and the quicker it will be.

Cheers,

Ludovic
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

morvael
Sergeant

Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:11 pm

Great news! Do we organize one thread that will contain all the links to our propositions or do we use this thread for that?

Franciscus

Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:42 pm

As there was no reply from the mods or devs, but I feel that this issue should not be forgotten, I will start a new thread about map errors in NCP :cwboy:

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”