Mike Tuga
Civilian

Portugal Map

Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:11 pm

Concerning the map of Portugal, I have noticed the following error:

the region north of "LAGOS" should be named "BEJA" not "BEIRA".

Excellent game :coeurs:

Franciscus

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:40 am

@Mike Tuga: Olá companheiro ! Bem vindo ao fantástico mundo dos jogos da Ageod. Vais seguramente achar bestial este forum e o grau de apoio dado pelo Pocus e co. Se ainda não experimentaste, tenta o AACW, é fantástico. :niark:

Regarding the map of Portugal, indeed there are a few errors, and some minor imperfections. By rough order of importance:

- As mentioned by the previous poster: the region north of Lagos and south of Evora should be Beja
- As to Lagos, as the names seem to be given according to the main city, why in Algarve Lagos and not the provincial capital, Faro ?
- Zamora is not and was not a portuguese town/region, as already mentiond before, but spanish.
- The garrison in Lisbon is named Garrison Peniche. Peniche is a coastal town a few kilometers north of Lisbon. I think that it would be more correct to name it Lisboa garrison. If you intended some historical connection to the extensive fortifications north of Lisbon during the peninsular campaign, maybe it should be named "Torres Vedras".
- If you strived to give more or less attention to the names of cities, etc, according to the respective language (eg, Lisboa instead of Lisbonne), Oporto should be Porto
- The regions are not entirely correct (eg, the region north of Porto is not Tras-os Montes but Minho - Tras os montes is east of Minho), but of course this was probably done to simplify the map and it is no big deal.

But the map is beautiful (and at least Lisboa is north of the river Tejo - not south as in MTW2 :tournepas )

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:10 am

Agradeça-lhe Franciscus e Mike!
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Mike Tuga
Civilian

Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:55 pm

Obrigado / Thanks / Merci

I'm a big fan of AGEOD since BOA.

Concerning the Map of Portugal, perhaps the ZAMORA region could be called BRAGANÇA and remain in the Portuguese territory....

Nikel

Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:13 pm

As there is so few activity on NCP, I am reading old posts :niark:

I agree with Mike Tuga when he says "ZAMORA region could be called BRAGANÇA and remain in the Portuguese territory...."

What is called Zamora in the map is placed to the west of where Zamora really is. Zamora is in line (nearly same longitude) with Leon and Salamanca.

About the fortresses, according to Osprey excellent book on Vimeiro campaign, Elvas and Almeida on the spanish border and Figueira da Foz and Peniche on the coast where the key fortresess to hold Portugal

http://books.google.es/books?id=qgIMezcj-0IC&pg=PA23&vq=peniche&dq=intitle:vimeiro&lr=&as_brr=3&source=gbs_search_s&sig=rgjaXLqKNw9eZGeSwjBaHkTVAb4

Only the ones on the border are represented on the map. But not the other two, could these fortresses be added? Perhaps what Franciscus said "The garrison in Lisbon is named Garrison Peniche" is related with this?

Peniche fortress was strong enough to have prevented Wellington to land there, it was in french hands, so this happened northern in Figueira da Foz, captured by the students of the Coimbra University and later, before the landing, reinforced by Royal marines.

Any news on a update of the maps? :siffle:

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”