BigDuke66
General

Feedback for NCP Official Patch 1.08 - November 4, 2011

Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:44 am

I open this thread to collect all the feedback for the 1.08 patch in a single thread so the developers & moders don't have to collect it from all over the board.

Feedback for Austerlitz(scenario 6):
-As small hint in the scenario briefing and/or the scenarion background(F6) to let the player know what "Schulmeister" is there for.

Feedback for Trafalger(scenario 7):
-Nothing big but in the Trafalger scenario I got the message(red newspaper message) that the French are in the Channel but I got only close to Ferrol.
Should it be that way or should it be trigger further into the Channel?
Maybe when passing Cherbourg or even better only when you are in one of the victory locations.
-State in the scenario briefing and/or the scenario background(F6) where the victory locations(Strait of Dover, Pas de calais, Baie de somme. Where I thing the last should be removed) are, how many counters(15 HeavyWarship counters) you have to place there and mention that these don't lead to auto victory only to Morale(+10) and VP(+50) for French side and Morale(-10) and VP(-30) for the Coalition .

Feedback for Prussian Campaign(scenario 17):
-Kudno it listed with a "major road" but no major road running thru.
-Klozberg has a major road running thru but only listed as "road".
-Scenario End date(last week in July 1807) of the scenario is strange because the scenario is listed as "Sep. 1806 to Aug. 1807" and the Polish Campaign runs also till the last week of August 1807.
The "The Prussian Campaign" starts a half month earlier than the "The Thunder of Jena" scenario so it should also run a half month longer than the "The Polish Campaign" scenario because the scenario covers the two other, so scenario end should not be before middle of September 1807.

General Feedback:
-Why does France get Militia replacements in these early(ground) scenarios?
-Does the "stack (group) name memory" work as intended?
The names for the French corps change on the second turn, for example "Massena Corps" was formerly called "4eme Corps"(that is from the "War on the Danub" scenario.
"Spread word to every slave, that even the mighty republic bleeds when struck!"
Join the Napoleonic Wargame Club
Join the American Civil War Game Club
Join the The Blitz Wargaming Club

Bohémond

Tue Nov 08, 2011 2:08 pm

Prussian Campaign Scenario

Kolzberg and Kutno ; Change can be made according to graphics. The changes must be made to all scenario. I need Dev's or Lodi agreement to do so. Or change can be made to graphics but I can't do that.

Start and End Date ; I agree. Again I need Dev's or Lodi agreement to do it.

General Feedback ;

Militia replacements are unuseful for NCP scenario. Changes in Histoptions can be made to avoid Miltia and cost for this option can be lowered. Need dev's or Lodi agreement to do so.

lodilefty

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:18 pm

Bohémond wrote:Prussian Campaign Scenario

Kolzberg and Kutno ; Change can be made according to graphics. The changes must be made to all scenario. I need Dev's or Lodi agreement to do so. Or change can be made to graphics but I can't do that.

Start and End Date ; I agree. Again I need Dev's or Lodi agreement to do it.

General Feedback ;

Militia replacements are unuseful for NCP scenario. Changes in Histoptions can be made to avoid Miltia and cost for this option can be lowered. Need dev's or Lodi agreement to do so.

Approved: Change to match the graphics
Approved: Change end date
Approved: Modify Militia Replacements

:love: :thumbsup: :w00t:
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

lodilefty

Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:20 pm

Stickied so we don't lose this! :w00t:

Please create and maintain a list of changes as you make them, so we can add to a ReadMe later. :D
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Bohémond

Date modifications.

Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:47 pm

For Prussian Campaign

Start Date; 1806/09/20
End Date ; 1807/08/31

BigDuke66
General

Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Don't you think at least 2 turns more cover half September would be appropriate?
As I mentioned the "Prussian Campaign" starts 2 weeks before the "Thunder at Jena" scenario so I think it should also end 2 weeks after the "Polish Campaign".

This is also advisable because there is no real need to finish the campaign by August at all.
Only thing to consider is the British attack on Denmark but Denmark sued for peace under the terms that the British leave within 6 weeks so an invasion from the North is unlikely, also the British had only 25k troops there, that would be at best a "bit trouble in the backyard" and no real threat to operations in the East.
And the Problems in Spain don't start before 1808 so the campaign could run at least up to the start of the winter 1807-1808.

In my game even 6 turns more would maybe be not enough to fight a decisive battle against the Russian army.

Bohémond

Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:18 pm

End Date in August for 2 reasons ;

Friendland was in June, so it still in a historicalt timeframe

and now the lazy one, less text to modify in NCPStrings.

Let's try with August, it can be modified later if needed.

Bohémond

Infantry for French Side

Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:13 am

Existing Option for French Side ;

10 line Replacements and 5 Militia Replacements
Cost ; 60 Money and 120 Conscripts
Available ; Twice (Like in Inea Scenario)

Proposal

10 line Replacements
Cost ; 50 Money and 100 Conscripts
Available ; 5 times

Let me know if it's ok.

Options for Coalition Side will follow.

BigDuke66
General

Wed Nov 09, 2011 5:23 am

Sounds good, but I wonder is it really available only twice?
I could swear I pulled it more than 2 times in the Prussian Campaign, or is it twice per year?
I see right that this "Drafting from Depots" event comes with a 50% probability?

As for the extension of the scenario, I see that the "War on the Danube" scenario has an option to extent the scenario 4 turns, maybe that is a way to cover September.

Feedback "War on the Danube"(scenario 12):
-Check region Kalisch(south of Posen), is it correct that the region starts in Austrian hands?
-Check Region Innsbrück(should be Innsbruck), is it correct that the city is in Austrian hands?
-Check the Brixen Garnison(4e Jager Bn), it can't move in Alpine regions but that is strange as the Trente(Should be Trento) Garnison(2e Jager Bn) can move in Alpine.
-Check 5eme Division south In Firenze, it's in location that isn't playable but good thing is it moves automatically one region north into a playable region but I wonder if this should be this way.
-Can the scrolling of the map be extended to the North and East? In full zoom it doesn't cover all provinces, Kiel in the North is cut off just like Cernowitz in the East

Not scenario specific:
-Any chance we get a pop-up text to see how much money, conscripts, supply & ammunition we get each turn?
-And is there a chance to get a turn replay just like ACW?

Pocus

Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:45 pm

for turn replay no alas, the code is just too old to be ported to another game, it would need to be redone in a more generic way. sorry...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Bohémond

Cavalry for French Side

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:05 pm

5 Cavalry Replacements
Cost ; 60 Money and 10 Conscripts
Available ; Twice (Like in Inea Scenario)

Proposal

5 Cavalry Replacements and 1 heavy cavalry replacement
Cost ; 75 Money and 10 Conscripts
Available ; 5 times

Note ; If player doesn't have enough assets even if signed the option will not fire. Maybe that why it can be seen and signed several times.
The probability of 50% is for AI choice.

Edit; my mistake for Infantry, availbility is now times (2 regen)

lodilefty

Wed Nov 09, 2011 6:43 pm

Bohémond wrote:<snip>
Edit; my mistake for Infantry, availbility is now times (2 regen)

...and to clarify: this means 3 times (1 for initial "On",+2 Regen) that the purchase will be made successfully....
[CENTER][/CENTER]

BigDuke66
General

Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:11 pm

@Pocus
Yea I feared that, I asked because it is hard to pursuit an enemy counter if the player can't see were it's heading, he has to wait till it reaches another region and can then try to intercept them what does not always work because of the delay.
Any chance we could get something like seeing the next region the counter is heading in the pop-up of the counter if our recon is high enough?

@lodilefty
Thank that explains why I had it more than twice.

@Bohémond
Similar to the heavy cavalry replacement you propose, I would like to see 1-2 elite infantry replacements for the infantry option if that is historically plausible.

More General Feedback:
-Make unplayable regions much darker so they can be distinguished better form the fog-of-war regions.
-If I dissolve a division with a French commanders but foreign troops it can't be formed into a division again. I think that at least those that start in the command of such units should also be capable of reforming a division with them.

Bohémond

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:42 pm

For Elite infantry Replacement, I think that it's not historically plausible but to have the automatic event that if you got more than 10 infantry replacements, 1 elite infantry replacement will be generated with a cost of 2 infantry replacement can be added to a TODO list.

For artillery

Nothing

Proposal

3 MedArty Replacements and 1 Light Arty replacement
Cost ; 80 Money and 20 Conscripts
Available ; 3 times

BigDuke66
General

Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Oh yes good idea but could it be made the way that elite replacements are raised if less than 2 are in the pool?
Seeing trouble ahead I sometimes use the infantry option as soon as available again and again this leads to a lot infantry replacements in the pool.
I wouldn't like to see them converted to elite just because I have more than 10 of them, they should be converted only if elite replacements are missing and only if enough infantry replacements are in the pool.

As for artillery I have seen an option for giving 2 light & 2 medium artillery replacements for 80 money and 20 conscripts.
We don't have this in the HistOptions05.sct & HistOptions06.sct but from HistOptions07.sct on there is this option for artillery.
Again should be tuned to what is historical correct & plausible, we will see how that works.
As for the light artillery I don't I saw light French artillery till now but I also don't really look thru what's up with the French horse artillery, looking thru the files 211FRA_Unit_Name_FRA_HorseArty1.uni to 216FRA_Unit_Name_FRA_HorseArty6.uni I see that 1-3 use $famLightArty|1 and 4-6 use $famMedArty|1 so do they get replacements from light & medium artillery replacements?

Looking at the events in the HistOptions files I see something strange from HistOptions07.sct on:

SelectFaction = $C07
StartEvent = evt_nam_COA_MilitaryOption2_Check|999|0|NULL|NULL|NULL|NULL

Conditions
CheckOption = $gmaOptionMil;COA_MilitaryOption2;=;1
EvalMoney = >=;70
EvalConscript = >=;20

Actions
ChangeMoneyPool = -70
ChangeConscriptPool = -20
Replacement = FRA;$famLightArty;2
Replacement = FRA;$famMedArty;2

SelectFaction = $F07
GenTextMsg = opt_notify_COA07_2;1;NULL;NULL;NULL

SelectFaction = $C07
GenTextMsg = opt_notify_COA07_2;1;NULL;NULL;NULL
ChangeActorPool = $gmaOptionMil;MaxUse;0;ResetFreq;0;ImageID;None.png;Title;opt_title_COA07_2;MsgString;opt_desc_COA07_2;ToolString;opt_hint_COA07_2;SubType;COA_MilitaryOption2;SParam1;RUS

EndEvent

Looks like the artillery option for the Coalition but is it correct that they get French artillery?

Bohémond

Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:16 pm

For Elite replacements ;

I agree, condition elite replacements < 2 can be added.

As far as I remenber ;
LightArty is up to 4lb
MedArty is for 6,8 and 12 lbs

For HistOptions07, this issue, French Arty for COA, must have been fixed in 1.08.

The xls file in DB are correct so we have to investigate....

BigDuke66
General

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:33 am

I found that entry in:
HistOptions07.sct is from 17.03.2008
HistOptions14.sct is from 13.03.2011

Not sure if the Coalition in 1814 scenarios use captured French equipment, maybe that would explain it but in the 1807 this really doesn't make sense.
But as you see this is an old file, I installed the patch to a different folder and it unpacks this old file, maybe the new was forgotten/not replaced in the 1.08 Patch?

lodilefty

HistOptions artillery replacements

Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:54 pm

BigDuke66 wrote:I found that entry in:
HistOptions07.sct is from 17.03.2008
HistOptions14.sct is from 13.03.2011

Not sure if the Coalition in 1814 scenarios use captured French equipment, maybe that would explain it but in the 1807 this really doesn't make sense.
But as you see this is an old file, I installed the patch to a different folder and it unpacks this old file, maybe the new was forgotten/not replaced in the 1.08 Patch?

Sorry, I missed one file, and lost the DB for other!
Here are corrected
HistOptions07.sct
HistOptions14.sct

Extract into NCP\Events
2 files overwritten
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Bohémond

Infantry Replacement Option

Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:10 pm

For Coalition Side ;

Existing Option ;

PRU
6 line Replacements and 4 Militia Replacements
Cost ; 40 Money and 90 Conscripts
Available ; 4 times (Like in Inea Scenario)

Proposal

10 line Replacements
Available ; 5 times

RUS
4 line Replacements and 2 Militia Replacements
Cost ; 20 Money and 50 Conscripts
Available ; 4 times (Like in Inea Scenario)

Proposal

10 line Replacements
Available ; 5 times

Ebbingford

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Replacements for HQ units are desperately needed, especially for the longer scenarios, see this thread http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=10672

BigDuke66
General

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:01 am

That would maybe also be good for other special stuff like sapeurs, pontonniers & sanitaire but again only if such replacements are historically plausible.

What worries me for the Coalition side is that everything(supply, money, conscripts, ammo) comes into one pool and the player can then simply choose the best replacements, so should the numbers for each country be tuned a bit more to reflect the capabilities of that country to bring those replacements in?

Bohémond

Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:35 am

Option for Hq, Sapeurs and so on replacement is really needed, but I think we must go step by step and do some tests to avoid unbalanced option. Let's start with infantry, cavalry and Arty.

I do not have enough history "knowledge'' to tune numbers for each coalition subfaction, again I think that only testing could give some feedback.

lodilefty

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:40 pm

BigDuke66 wrote:That would maybe also be good for other special stuff like sapeurs, pontonniers & sanitaire but again only if such replacements are historically plausible.

What worries me for the Coalition side is that everything(supply, money, conscripts, ammo) comes into one pool and the player can then simply choose the best replacements, so should the numbers for each country be tuned a bit more to reflect the capabilities of that country to bring those replacements in?

AFAIK, to separate the funds etc. by country/Faction requires a multi-faction game engine and setup (like RUS or PON).

NCP is one of the 4 "Elders" and as such will likely not get such a change. :)

...NCP2 would liklely be done this way, though.... :D
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Bohémond

COA Cavalry Replacements

Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:27 am

For Coalition Side ;

Existing Option ;

2 PRU Cavalry Replacements and 2 RUS Cavalry Replacements
Cost ; 40 Money and 10 Conscripts
Available ; 2 times (Like in Inea Scenario)

Proposal

PRU
1 Heavy Cavalry and 5 Cavalry Replacements
Available ; 3 times

PRU
1 Heavy Cavalry and 5 Cavalry Replacements
Available ; 3 times

BigDuke66
General

Mon Nov 14, 2011 1:30 am

Nothing big but one thing makes me scratch my head.
Why do elements rename to brigade names when the division is split?

For example Russian campaign, Oudinot's Corps, 3e Div. Cuirassiers.
Brigade name > element name:
11e Bie 2c > 3e Cie/ 6e Rgt Art. Che. (6)
12e Bie 2c > 1ere Cie/6e Rgt Art. Che. (6)
After I split the division the element names change to the brigade name:
11e Bie 2c > 11e Bie 2c
12e Bie 2c > 12e Bie 2c
Same counts for the cavalry regiments in that division.
Should it be that way?

@lodilefty
Yea I didn't expect that would change but somehow we must reflect this in the adjustment of Russian, Prussian & Austrian replacements, I hope I can dig something out to give at least a clue of what values would be appropriate.

@Bohémond
Sounds good but a slightly higher conscript value of 13 would fit better as 10 for 6 cavalry is just to low at least for the French side.

Bohémond

COA Arty Replacments

Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:05 am

13 conscript for cavlary is good for me for French or Coalition Side

For artillery

Existing Option for Coalition Side ;

Nothing

Proposal

PRU
Available ; 2 times

RUS
Available ; 2 times

BigDuke66
General

Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:30 am

2 Conscripts are enough as the biggest units use only 160 men and men were never a problem for the artillery.
To bad we don't have war goods like ACW and so I advise to raise the money to 90.
Maybe France in the state of having the best artillery at that time and with Napoleon who comes from the artillery should get more options than the Coalition.

Bohémond

Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:01 pm

In NCP, WSU are in but there is no display for them so they are useless, it's a hidden asset.

BigDuke66
General

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:34 pm

Yea I saw the WarSupplyCost row in the database and already wondered.

@lodilefty
Any chance we could move the unit detail windows further up so it doesn't cover the elements panel?

Bohémond

Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:45 pm

Can you post a screenshot of the unit detail covering the element panel ?

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”