jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Transparent layers for names!

Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:05 am

Hi,

As a rule of thumb, for brand future projects, I suggest to use Transparent Layers to apply topographic names over new maps.
That to say names of mounts, rivers, seas, cities, towns graphically desinged over the map.

Use of Transparent Layers for names will simplify names correction and map modding!

JastaV

P.S.: I now this was not the proper page.
Indeed there's not a page dedicated to generic tech suggestion for AGEod furure projects.

PhilThib

Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:29 pm

This is already the case at the graphist level... now there are a few technical restrictions that prevent us to do so AND maintain proper graphical look at the same time :(

Pocus

Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:59 pm

This either demands that we have another image, just for names, covering the entire map (thus doubling memory) or have someone place each text on the map, image by image, on our side (not on the artist side), as doodads. Can be done, but time consuming.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:59 pm

Pocus wrote:This either demands that we have another image, just for names, covering the entire map (thus doubling memory) or have someone place each text on the map, image by image, on our side (not on the artist side), as doodads. Can be done, but time consuming.

A was thinking of it in positive terms!
We have a Great Europe map, NCP style, without names......
Then, with a first transparent layer ovet it, we get Napoleonic Age Europe!
Change layer and you'll get the Roman Age Europe!

PhilThib

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:06 pm

It can be done almost as fast with the graphist tool... with the advantage that we control the changes... ;)

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:11 pm

PhilThib wrote:It can be done almost as fast with the graphist tool... with the advantage that we control the changes... ;)

So it seems like I need to get a copy of the graphist tool......
And map templates?

PhilThib

Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:28 pm

You already have it, this is the Illustrator Map I gave you :bonk:
You do your names under Illustrator, and then the graphist can implement it in the final bitmap (and only him can do the last step, unless you have a PC able to manage 4Gb photoshop files :neener :)

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:51 pm

PhilThib wrote:You already have it, this is the Illustrator Map I gave you :bonk:
You do your names under Illustrator, and then the graphist can implement it in the final bitmap (and only him can do the last step, unless you have a PC able to manage 4Gb photoshop files :neener :)

I trust my PC can do the job: in the past I edited movies, 4.4 Gb in size by Pinnacle Liquid Pro! :neener:
I do not trust my attitude for graphic jobs: I 'm not very practiced with photoshop. :(

BTW, the possibility to mod names by Illustrator so to implement them thanks to a graphist, is an offer open to high impact mods as the Punic War project?

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”