AGEod Guard of Honor

Leader Name trouble!?

Sat Oct 11, 2008 5:34 pm

AFAIK, any Leader Model_Name and Unit_Name should share the same name:

[color="RoyalBlue"]Model_Name_FRA_LeMarois2; Jean-Léonor Le Marois
Model_Name_FRA_LeMarois1; Jean-Léonor Le Marosi

Unit_Name_FRA_LeMarois2; Jean-Léonor Le Marois
Unit_Name_FRA_LeMarois1; Jean-Léonor Le Marois[/color]

That’s of capital importance for NCP engine ability to locate a leader on map, in relation to most commands.

Although that’s true with French Leaders something is wrong with COA ones.

[color="Red"]Model_Name_RUS_Hovanski1; Hovanski
Unit_Name_RUS_Hovanski1; Adam Ivanovitch Hovanski[/color]

Thas is just an example but I have at least 5 on map COA leaders unfound by AGEod NPC engine, when going after events processing.

Indeed I noticed we have to pay expecial care when editing commands related to single leaders.
Such commands can be related to the leader unique name, as it was edited in setup file, or when related to leader model we can use the unique name for the leader as it figures out from Models DB or Units DB.
As regard the last point having the same leader name in Models DB and Units DB should make things easier.

Pocus

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:30 am

right! You volunteer? :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:29 am

Pocus wrote:right! You volunteer? :)

May be, but not soon now!
Already busy after so many things.....

In the meanwhile [color="Red"]I suggest you point out to all editors/moders[/color] to pay expecial care when editing commands related to leaders looking at leader unique name as per setup file, leader Model DB name, leader Unit DB name, in relation to command used.

Examples:

1. [color="RoyalBlue"]EvalUnqUnit[/color]
use unique name from Column B in Setup file.

2. [color="royalblue"]SelUnqSubUnit[/color]
use leader name from Model DB.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:16 am

I collected some more informations as regard reported issue.

It’s clear NCP_Local String file is nothing but a labels collector for names appearing in the game: as confirmed by the fact different languages are supported.

The problems with Unit/Models take moves elsewhere: from DB Models and DB Units files!

Indeed some example will help to clarify the point.

1. [color="RoyalBlue"]Antoine Andreossy[/color]
This French leader was encoded as Antoine Andreossy into DB Models/Column D and as Antoine Andreossy too into DB Units/ Columns D & E.

With that game engine can search for model and unit at the same time, based over a common name: Antoine Andreossy.
This is common to most if not all French leaders.

2. [color="Red"]Adam Ivanovitch Ansio[/color]
This Russian Leader was encoded as [color="red"]Ansio into DB Models/Column D[/color] and as [color="red"]Adam Ivanovitch Ansio into DB Units/ Columns D & E[/color].

As a result Ageod game engine has to search for Adam Ivanovitch Ansio when looking to the leader as a unit, while has to search for Ansio when looking for same leader as a model.

Indeed having the same name, Adam Ivanovitch Ansio or Ansio, in the DB Models and DB Units files will improve and simplify routines: a thing to consider for the future!
At moment, I guess You’ll not be enthusiastic with the idea of a massive mod to DB Models and DB Units files. Indeed that’s not recommended because of potential effect over all existing scenarios.

So the recommendation is to be aware of the potential troubles and always look to proper file, (DB Models or DB Units) for leader encoded names when editing unit or model related commands.

Pocus

Wed Oct 15, 2008 8:26 am

Good analysis. We are aware that some of the names have discrepancies indeed.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Adlertag

Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:45 pm

jastaV wrote:2. [color="Red"]Adam Ivanovitch Ansio[/color]
This Russian Leader was encoded as [color="red"]Ansio into DB Models/Column D[/color] and as [color="red"]Adam Ivanovitch Ansio into DB Units/ Columns D & E[/color].

Just for my own information, why did names like above have been truncated into some columns and not in others ?
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:41 pm

Adlertag wrote:Just for my own information, why did names like above have been truncated into some columns and not in others ?

Indeed they were truncated into Units DB file and typed extensively into Models DB file......

BTW, a possible quick solution!
Copying/pasting the column name from Models DB file over matching column in Units DB file could quikly fix the trouble......should leaders beeing enlisted according to matching order. .....But, I'm not absolutely sure with that!

Pocus

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:37 pm

Perhaps not the same person, or not at the same time, doing the work.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:22 pm

I'm gettins troubles attemting to remove "Drouot".

[color="RoyalBlue"]SelUnqSubUnit; François Drouot[/color]

I suspet the troubles could be with the name "François Drouot": the french character ç, beeing the reason of the problem.
But indeed the italian keyboard support such a character: ç!

May be old Blucher will help me: "[color="YellowGreen"]Gebhard Leberecht von Blücher[/color]" in DB_Models and DB_Units.

German ü character beeing not supported by the italian keyboard.

Need some more investigations.

Return to “Help to improve NCP!”