rasnell
Major

My bug collection

Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:18 am

After one day of play (I'm on vacation so that's about 10 hours), here's my list of bugs or things I don't understand:

1. I'm using 1.0 C.

2. Tab rollover tooltips don't work like BOA, AACW. You must click on the tab to see the unit details and stats; there is no tooltip rollover.

3. Where does money come from? There is nothing in the ledger or in the city info or anywhere? In AACW, rolling the mouse over a city would show you the money, conscripts, supplies that were generated. Not in Napoleon. Bug? Missing and badly needed feature?

4. What triggers revolts? Where is the stat to show a revolt risk? How can a revolt kick four corps and 40,000 men out of a well-fortified city?

5. Icons in the unit header (the spot where the unit's position or city is noted) are crowding out the info. The icons should be set up in a column that are pushed or justified right.

6. Battle casualties are so absurd that the game isn't very playable right now. In Austerlitz and Thunder of Jena scenarios, every battle is won by outrageous amounts. For example, after the full 20 turns of Jena, France only lost 8,000 men and the Coalition lost 60,000. I could recklessly stay on offensive posture, bust into big cities without sieging and always come away with outrageous 1,000:1 odds and a victory and morale score that were similarly outrageous. In one battle to take a major fortified city, I beat the enemy with 3 casualties. They were entrenched inside the city walls and lost 3,191. That's not fun; not playable; very much a bug.

7. I thought I understood the F2 and F3 screens, but I'm totally lost. Even when I make no choices in the F3 screen, my F2 replacement window gets larger and larger and no reinforcements ever seem to arrive. I finished with 41 infantry and 15 cavalry that never made it into the game or the ranks? Why not? How does it work? How do they generate more on their own? Why are they generating more than I can possibly use?

8. I see no evidence of auto-garrison. And, if I totally vacate a city without leaving a unit, control reverts to the enemy without them having any force anywhere in sight.

9. Fix the Trafalgar scenario by changing the text in the objectives or by adding Army units so you can begin the transport by the third turn as noted in the objective. If left the way it is, this should be cut to only a few turns and a note that it's a naval battle only. Frankly, I'd remove it in the next patch until it's ready for use.

Pocus

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:17 am

(2) We will look at this.
(3) the info is missing from the tooltip, right.
(4) a revolt should not happen if you have troops in the region. If you have it, then this would be a bug. Revolt risk varies depending of the scenario, but you don't know it.
(5) what is your resolution? This should not happen if you have a 1280+ display.
(6) can you send the game where you had 3 casualties while assaulting? With a saved game, I can't fix the problem.
(7) you can get free replacements from the scenario script, that is why they are growing. And if you don't spend them, it can means you have no troops in position to resplenish their ranks (these are replacements and won't create new units).
(8) I plan to double check the feature today for a possible bug.
(9) Remark forwarded, thanks.

Thanks for your input. We believe NC is very playable right now, but allow us some weeks to improve over and over the game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

rasnell
Major

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:26 am

(3) the info is missing from the tooltip, right.

The info is there, but you must click on the tab to see it. In BOA and AACW, you merely need to mouse over or rollover the tab to see the info.

(4) a revolt should not happen if you have troops in the region. If you have it, then this would be a bug. Revolt risk varies depending of the scenario, but you don't know it.

This is a bug then. It occurred in Thunder of Jena 1806 campaign.

(5) what is your resolution? This should not happen if you have a 1280+ display.

1024. No such display problems in BOA, AACW.

(6) can you send the game where you had 3 casualties while assaulting? With a saved game, I can't fix the problem.

Happens repeatedly in Thunder of Jena 1806. Sorry to say that I shelved the game awaiting patches and deleted the game files to free up hard drive memory.

(7) you can get free replacements from the scenario script, that is why they are growing. And if you don't spend them, it can means you have no troops in position to resplenish their ranks (these are replacements and won't create new units).

I don't know what you mean by spend them. F2 lists the replacements. F3 is where you spend to get more units. All that spending in F3 does is add to the F2 list of replacements. They never seem to make it into the game. I had 42 infantry and 14 cavalry that never came into the entire campaign of Thunder of Jena 1806.

denisonh
Captain

Thu Nov 22, 2007 11:31 am

It seems to me that the losses are often "catastrophic" with the elements "dying to a man", hence not having a "container" to place the replacements into. I find after a losing combat that an "infantry Division" no longer has any infantry in it and cannot get the replacements.

That is my assessment as to why the replacements are not being used: nowhere to go.

I don't recall units disappearing wholescale as a result of combat historically. Even if they did, it was due to "reorganizing" afterwards and concious deisions were made to amalgamate/merge uits.

rasnell
Major

Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Perhaps I didn't get any replacements because the game was so incredibly unbalanced -- I lost 8,000 men and they lost 60,000 in the 19-turn campaign.

Is that why I got no replacements? Maybe both of these are related "bugs."

Pocus

Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:10 am

The Jena Campaign is very unbalanced, historically too.

As for units not receiving replacements, if you are sure they can (like being on a depot) and you don't get any, then this would be a bug and I can take a look. I have no problem admitting bugs can exists in our games, but in this case I appreciate to have the tools (a saved game) to fix it :)

If the problem is about very unbalanced combat reports, despite the fixes in 1.01c, post in a separate thread a screenshot of said battle along with your game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “NCP Technical support / Aide technique”