el_Gato
Corporal

Strategic Problems w/ Demo

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:34 am

To start, I'd like to point out that I have played both BOA and ACW, so I'm familiar with the game mechanics. I just have a problem with how they're implemented --- or not.

First, the Jena scenario starts in October, and by mid November, the weather is "Harsh / Frozen / Blizzard" every turn until the last. Campaigning in Winter is suicide, even with decent supply lines --- which, as the attacker, you never have. As the French, I barely managed to take Leipzing and Dresden before the snows hit --- strangely, I could never succeed in breaching the city walls, even with several genie units attached, and multiple corps involved. I say strangely, because the AI managed to get a division-sized unit down to Strasbourg, and had the lvl 1 fortress there breached in 1 turn. I sat outside Leipzig / Dresden for 3, with no effect.

Once I took the afforementioned cities, the scenario was effectively over, as the Grande Armee sat in-situ and slowly starved to death. Even though I built a depot in the Plauen (same as in the Tutorial) province to push supply along, it never seemed to happen. An army with zero food doesn't fight --- especially in the dead of winter. (Moving supply trains from Frankfurt to Dresden is a waste of time, as they use up all their supply before they even reach the destination!)

As for replacements: Does this even function in the Demo? I had units sitting in major cities (Kassel, Frankfurt, etc.), with plenty of recruits in the replacement pool, and nothing ever seemed to happen: Regiments stayed red, cohesion not recovered --- this was with units in Passive posture, over several turns.

If I sound somewhat annoyed, I am: Doing nothing but hit "Next Turn" until the scenario ends, is not my idea of entertainment.

I'm willing to entertain any notions on what might be going wrong here.
The plural of anecdote is not data

Pocus

Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:56 am

We will check the weather matrix.

Are you playing with hardened attrition?

For siege, I think this is pure bad luck. The code is not checking if the AI or the player besiege something :)

For replacements, you don't recover in the demo, this is on purpose.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “NCP Technical support / Aide technique”