Fastheinz
Conscript

scrolling

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:38 pm

I have been having trouble scrolling the screen. In some positions even using the arrow keys do not work as they should. It seems to be most prevalent in the North and East of the map. Anyone else had this problem?

Hobbes

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:48 pm

Fastheinz wrote:I have been having trouble scrolling the screen. In some positions even using the arrow keys do not work as they should. It seems to be most prevalent in the North and East of the map. Anyone else had this problem?

Hi Fas, do you realise that not all the map is loaded in to speed up the scrolling? You will only be able to scroll around the area that the campaign is using and not the entire map unless you tick the option to load the entire map from the front menu screen.

You can tailor the scroll speed to your own preference by editing the
general.opt file in the settings folder.
I use :-

ScrollAmount = 100
ScrollDelay = 0
ScrollIncrease = 0

Cheers, Chris

Rafiki

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:48 pm

Does this stop you from viewing parts of the active game area? Some scenarios restrict how much you can scroll outside the active area for that particular scenario.

Edit: Dang! Beaten by Hobbes, who even had a longer & better post than me :nuts: :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Syt
Colonel

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:55 pm

I think in some campaigns you can enter provinces but not scroll the map enough to see it fully on screen (I forget the scenario that I noticed this in).

In any case, you can select in the System settings that the whole map is loaded/viewable. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Pocus

Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:21 pm

Be sure to have 2 gigs under XP or 3+ under Vista in this case!

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Fastheinz
Conscript

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:06 pm

Thanks for advice, it seems to happen in Jena when you try to scroll to the NE at Brest-Livotsk. The unit cycle (R) will get me to the Russian Army there but scrolling doesnt seem to get me there.

I have AMD 3000, w/1.5 g ram so pre-caching may not work.

I am having to much fun to worry about this, just mentioning my problem for the programmers.

Adlertag

Thu Nov 15, 2007 7:08 pm

Syt wrote:I think in some campaigns you can enter provinces but not scroll the map enough to see it fully on screen (I forget the scenario that I noticed this in).

In any case, you can select in the System settings that the whole map is loaded/viewable. :)

Sometimes you can also click on the mini-map to access "scrolling-forbidden" areas, at least I tried it but it's not maybe a real clue...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Adam Parker
Sergeant

Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:07 am

Pocus wrote:Be sure to have 2 gigs under XP or 3+ under Vista in this case!

Philippe quite seriously can you help me understand this as to be honest I gave up maths long ago!!

How does caching work with RAM and how will having more RAM help a game such as this?

Also am I right that with the 32bit Vista, even if I have 4Mb RAM, the system will only be able to use 3? Will this affect caching the whole Nap map and your future games as they get "bigger"?

Cheers :)
Adam.

Primasprit

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:42 am

Adam Parker wrote:How does caching work with RAM and how will having more RAM help a game such as this?.

More RAM (and caching techniques) help to reduce hard disc access and speed the game up, as the HDD is very slow compared to the RAM. So if there is any stuttering while scrolling the map, it is because the data is loaded from the HDD.

Primasprit

Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:47 am

Hi Syt!

Syt wrote:I think in some campaigns you can enter provinces but not scroll the map enough to see it fully on screen (I forget the scenario that I noticed this in).

If you notice it again, don't hesitate to report in which scenario it occurs and it will be fixed. :cwboy:

Cheers
Norbert

Pocus

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Adam Parker wrote:Philippe quite seriously can you help me understand this as to be honest I gave up maths long ago!!

How does caching work with RAM and how will having more RAM help a game such as this?

Also am I right that with the 32bit Vista, even if I have 4Mb RAM, the system will only be able to use 3? Will this affect caching the whole Nap map and your future games as they get "bigger"?

Cheers :)
Adam.

The more the merrier :) For Napoleon, 2 gigas under XP or 3 gigas under Vista is sufficient to load the entire map into memory.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:17 pm

Primasprit wrote:Hi Syt!

If you notice it again, don't hesitate to report in which scenario it occurs and it will be fixed. :cwboy:

Cheers
Norbert

This just in from the 1806 Jena/Auerstedt scenario. It's furthest north/east I can scroll.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.

- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Fastheinz
Conscript

Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:48 pm

my bad :( it was austerlitz, still a great game

Pocus

Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:53 am

For 1806 we will allow further scrolling, you have someone to fetch in Memel :)

Return to “NCP Technical support / Aide technique”