Nikel

Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:19 pm

PhilThib wrote:Sure...high class....will be in ext patch :coeurs: :coeurs:

In the next official patch?! What a surprise, thanks!!! :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:

Of course look at them carefully and if you do not like any of them, do not include it. As already said, the source of Edouard Colbert is very bad, so the result is not like others

[ATTACH]3470[/ATTACH]

Of Subervie I have a full colour portrait and and black and white centered in the head. First tried to modify the colored one, but the result was not good, so painted the black and white source and is the one showed. The aspect is similar to Lasalle, with wide trousers and a leather protection around the neck. He was too a cavalry commander, that uniform must be comfortable to ride horseback and to protect the neck of cold and wind.

[ATTACH]3472[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3471[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3473[/ATTACH]

Thanks arsan and Rafiki ;)
Attachments
subfinal 2.png
subfinal 2.png (10.95 KiB) Viewed 8271 times
Subervie3.jpg
Subervie2.jpg
Général_Pierre_David_Edouard_Colbert_de_Chabanais.jpg

Adlertag

Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:19 pm

Very good portraits, Nikel.
Sure, Eblé is very well done; this man deserved it, thanks to you. :)
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 19, 2008 11:27 pm

Nice work!
Very Nice WorK!

JastaV

Nikel

Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:19 pm

In the next batch there will be some "interesting" guys, some of them not very handsome :niark:

Marulaz is the best portrait, after a few retouching, fits perfectly in the game, here we can see him in the 1809 scenario, as the commander of a light cavalry division, he was a hussar

[ATTACH]3502[/ATTACH]

There were more Marulaz in the napoleonic army, pity only Jacob promoted to General, as they would have looked very nice in the game

[ATTACH]3503[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3504[/ATTACH] [ATTACH]3505[/ATTACH]

Respectively

1 François Marulaz (1779-1807), lieutenant adjudant-major au 8e régiment de hussard

2 Jacob-François Marulaz (1769-1842), colonel commandant le 8e régiment de hussards. The one that appears in the game

3 François-Claude Marulaz (1740-1822), capitaine du 8e régiment de hussards

The paintings are from 1803, in this date Jacob was colonel 8e hussards, he was promoted as we can see
Attachments
Marulaz3.jpg
Marulaz2.jpg
Marulaz1.jpg
marulazingame.jpg

arsan

Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:21 am

Is it me or the Marulaz had some strong family likeness :siffle:
What i´m sure is that they all use the same hairdresser! :niark:
Great work as usual! :coeurs:

Nikel

Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:36 pm

Arghhhhh!! :niark:

Another problem with these military families. Just noticed that the Jakob Marulaz that appears in the wikipedia has another portrait, and of the same type! :bonk:

[ATTACH]3517[/ATTACH]

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob_Fran%C3%A7ois_Marola

And the same here

http://www.napoleon-series.org/military/organization/c_hussars1.html

http://www.souvenir-davout.com/spip.php?article187

The source and names of the other three is the Musée de l'Armée itself, where the portraits are, so I am inclined to believe it. But does anybody here know this for sure? What is the right portrait of Jakob Marulaz, or perhaps both, and just younger in the wikipedia? But it looks like they were made nearly at the same time and of course the same author, so...
Attachments
1.jpg

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:44 pm

Here is Ney 3e Corps as per Spring 1813 OOB.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=95039&postcount=3

There are not portraits for Gen. Ricard, (uni_FRA_Ricard1) and Gen. Brenier (uni_FRA_Brenier1), commanders of the 9e and 11e Div respectively.

MAY BE IT'S A NICE HOMEWORK FOR YOU! :niark:

Nikel

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:09 pm

Unfortunately there are no portraits of all the generals that appear in the game, or at least I have not been able to find them, and those two are in this list :p leure:

But here are a few more :niark:

[ATTACH]3554[/ATTACH]

As you can see there are several ugly guys here :niark: , like Songis, Durutte or Curial. Does anybody here know what happened to Durutte?, scars in the face, right eye semiclosed, are they battle wounds, duels?

I am very happy with Darmagnac, looks great in the game, even better the portrait in the map, and it is very caracteristic, with the pigtail.

Brayer looks a bit cartoonist but OK. After finishing it found another portrait that looks more realistic, do you think that it is necessary to redo him?

[ATTACH]3555[/ATTACH]

Desvaux is a bit pixelated because it is extracted from a full body portrait, and so the head is small.

As this weekend I start a part of my holidays I think I will not continue the work on this for a time, besides the available portraits are already exhausting :p leure:

Updated link in the first post. Regards and hope you like them
Attachments
brayer.gif
update2.jpg

arsan

Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:31 pm

Absolutely great!! :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:
And i love the new freaks!! :8o: :nuts: :niark:

About Durutte... Google is an awesome tool! :coeurs:
This is what i found...

"In addition to the possibility of death in combat, sword wounds could leave a man crippled or appallingly disfigured for life. A prominent example of the effect of sword wounds is the fate of the French general Durutte at Waterloo. During the collapse of his division (part of D'Erlon's corps) in the closing stages of the battle Durutte was attacked by a Light Dragoon of Vandeleur's brigade, he lost his right hand to a sabre cut and in this defenceless state received a severe blow to the head and face. This blow left him physically debilitated and blind in the right eye. However, he survived his injuries and lived to a reasonably old age."

Taken form here
http://swordforum.com/articles/ams/cavalrycombat.php

As it seems, the scarred portrait if from after the Napoleonic Wars :siffle:
And the poor guy lost a hand also!! :p leure:
Regards!!

Nikel

Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:05 pm

Ouch, sorry. I thought that perhaps he had been wounded when he was younger. So I suppose his portrait should be removed :p leure:

Preparing a screenshoot dor Darmagnac, noticed that part of his face is hidden by the statistics bars in the units panel, he is in profile and with a big nose. I have centered to the right and is smaller now, I think that he looks better, but perhaps not if he is involved (as a leader) in a battle report :bonk: I test the pictures, but without units attached, so there are no bars. This is how he looks like right now, he appears in Bayona, 1814 scenario if you want to test him. Updated the download link in the first post

[ATTACH]3558[/ATTACH]

Edit: OK, no problem in the battle report portrait, but he and his force were lost in the testing process vs Wellington :niark:

[ATTACH]3559[/ATTACH]
Attachments
battlereport.jpg
Darmagnac.jpg

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:49 pm

I just downloaded last version of your French Generals Portraits MiniMod !

Have to renew my Congratulation for the great job! :coeurs:

Have only a doubt!......
.....With 22 high quality portraits, and problably more to come, is this to be yet considered a MINI-mod???

It's time we start referring to Nikel's work as a GREAT Generals Portraits Mod!

Nikel

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Thanks jastaV.

But now there are 37 portraits :niark: unless you only consider 22 of them of "high quality" ;)

I called it mini, because when I released it there were only 10, and I did not know how many I was going to do or how they were going to be received. The comments are positive, though probably those who do not like them will not say it ;)

Besides I compared it with AACW mod by Jabber, that I downloaded before starting, with 99 portraits, mine is really mini

PhilThib

Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:56 am

But the good point is that all these will make way into the game's next patch and become "official"...that what we have done with the AACW :coeurs:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:04 am

Nikel wrote:Thanks jastaV.

But now there are 37 portraits :niark: unless you only consider 22 of them of "high quality" ;)

I called it mini, because when I released it there were only 10, and I did not know how many I was going to do or how they were going to be received. The comments are positive, though probably those who do not like them will not say it ;)

Besides I compared it with AACW mod by Jabber, that I downloaded before starting, with 99 portraits, mine is really mini

Just downloaded the updated zip pack: NOW, they are 37!

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jul 26, 2008 10:06 am

PhilThib wrote:But the good point is that all these will make way into the game's next patch and become "official"...that what we have done with the AACW :coeurs:

Is there any post dedicated to next NCP patch, yet?
What fix will come with it?

PhilThib

Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:01 pm

No, it's not scheduled for the time being, but we can start discussing it upon my return in 10 days :indien:

Nikel

Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:11 am

I have been talking about a portrait of general Jomini with jastaV.

Already did it based on a color painting available in the web and send him the files. But I have noticed that Jomini has already a portrait in the armies folder but not in the units folder. Apparently he is not appearing in any scenario in the game. Is this WAD?

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 06, 2008 9:45 am

I'm on the way to post last update to Germany 1813 Hist. Mod: there, but many other upgrades, Jonimi appears as Czar Alexander Advisor, while Gneisenau is attached to Blucher HQ.
BTW, I added also Czar Alexander HQ stack........

JastaV

Pocus

Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:35 am

Please send me your latest files at pmalacher@age-studio.com

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Nikel

Tue Aug 12, 2008 1:04 am

Pocus wrote:Please send me your latest files at pmalacher@age-studio.com

Are you talking to jastaV here?

I have been working on russian generals to add some variety and because there are a lot of portraits available in the wikipedia and a russian page. I have found some problems to identify the right general in some cases, as in the database only appears the surname. Perhaps PhilThib could clarify?

Knorring, I have portraits of two, what wich one is appearing in the game?
Knorring_Otto_Fyodorovich
Knorring_Karl_Bogdanovich

Idem with:

Berg
Berg_Grigory_Maximobich
Berg_Burhard_Maximobich

Liewen
Lieven_Ivan_Andreevich
Lieven Hristofor Andreyevich

Mezentzov in the database must be one of these
Mezencev_1_Vladimir_Petrovich
Mezencev_2_Mihail_Ivanovich

Pantschulischev
Panchulidzev_1_Ivan_Davydovich
Panchulidzev_2_Semyon_Davydovich

Sazonov
Sazonov_1_Ivan_Terentyevich
Sazonov_2_Fyodor_Wasiljevich

Tallisin is any of these?
Talyzin_1_Fyodor_Ivanovich
Talyzin_2_Alexandr_Ivanovich

Turchaninov
Turchaninov_1_Pavel_Petrovich
Turchaninov_2_Andrey_Petrovich

A related problem with both Zass, in the database they appear with the names, but they are different from the source of the portraits. So, who is who?

In the database
Alexander Pavlovich Zass
Andrei Pavlovich Zass

In the portraits
Zass_Andrey_Pavlovich
Zass_Andrey_Andreevich

Chahkovski is this? Shahovskoy Ivan Leontyevich

[url]http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Шаховской,_Иван_Леонтьевич[/url]

Helfreich is Gelfrejh_Bogdan_Borisovich?
[url]http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Гельфрейх,_Богдан_Борисович[/url]

More things, the portrait in the game of Olsufiev. According to the wikipedia this is Zakhar Dmitrievich Olsufiev

[url]http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Олсуфьев%2C_Захар_Дмитриевич[/url]

But the portrait in the game seems to be Osterman-Tolstoy, again according to the wikipedia

[url]http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Остерман-Толстой%2C_Александр_Иванович[/url]

Russian Raevsky and spanish Palafox have the same portrait, Palafox is wrong here. I think that there are more doubles but have not checked all

Yermolov, with portrait called Ermolov is different from here
http://www.museum.ru/1812/Persons/russ/ra_e02.html

Regards

arsan

Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:43 am

Nikel portraits goes official!! :coeurs: :coeurs: :niark:
Talking about double leaders/portraits...
Yesterday was playing the long Prussian Campaign and noticed another doubled Russian leader: Esen.
He first appears at the head of a reinforcement stack with ** and bad ratings and half a dozen turns later arrives in another reinforcement stack, but as a * at the head of a division and with normal ratings.
The portrait is the same in both :bonk:
Maybe they were twins?
Nikel, how many Esen can you find on that russian web?
Cheers!

Nikel

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:11 am

Hi arsan.

You are playing the russian campaign, what happened with AACW?! :niark: ;)

You are right! There are two Essen in the database. I missed them because they already have a portrait and because I searched for the letter Е not Э. You can see the portraits in the wikipedia and the russian site I talked about

[url]http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Эссен,_Пётр_Кириллович[/url]
[url]http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Эссен,_Иван_Николаевич[/url]

The portraits in the wikipedia are taken from here

http://www.museum.ru/1812/Persons/russ/ra_ye10.html
http://www.museum.ru/1812/Persons/russ/ra_ye11.html

In the database there is no names, only the surname. But the portrait is of

Essen Petr Kirillovich

I will do the other then,

Essen_Ivan_Nikolaevich

arsan

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:02 am

Reading Marbot memories and your NCP "lobby work" :niark: have revived my interest on Nappy so i'm trying to save the pathetic Prussian army form Napoleon while the Russians crawl forward to the rescue.
No easy work! :grr:
Do you know Russian? :nuts:
How could we know which Essen is the ** mediocre leader and who the * decent one?? :bonk: :niark:

Cheers!

Nikel

Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:06 pm

arsan wrote:Reading Marbot memories and your NCP "lobby work" :niark: have revived my interest on Nappy so i'm trying to save the pathetic Prussian army form Napoleon while the Russians crawl forward to the rescue.
No easy work! :grr:
Do you know Russian? :nuts:
How could we know which Essen is the ** mediocre leader and who the * decent one?? :bonk: :niark:

Cheers!

Lobby work?

No, I do not know russian; spanish and just a few english that I learnt at the school. I do not know how it is right now, but by my times only to write and to read was taught, so if I had too have a conversation with a non spanish member here it would be very difficult for my part :niark:

I am not even familiar with the cyrillic alphabet, greek alphabet is easier.

About the Essen, I hope that PhilThib can help with these problems, is he on holidays again? I am stuck without this information :(

Using a translator, both were lieutenant generals and commanded several infantry divisions, so no idea. Ivan died in 1813, perhaps this could help

arsan

Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:19 pm

Hi!

I think i solved the "Essen brothers mistery" :nuts: :niark:
Using an online translator on these link you posted
http://www.museum.ru/1812/Persons/russ/ra_ye10.html
http://www.museum.ru/1812/Persons/russ/ra_ye11.html
I got (between lots of nonsense gibberish) that the older Essen (Ivan Nikolaevich) commanded a corps formed by the 9 and 10 divisions...
and guess what force the ** NCP Essen commands when he arrives as a reinforcement on the long prussian campaig???
Yes! The 9 and 10 divisions! :niark: Good OOB work, AGEOD!! :coeurs:
The problem is that the ** leader has the portarit of his smaller brother, the * general that arrives later commanding a division, with the right portrait.

Hey, that detective work is quite fun! :niark:

Cheers!

Nikel

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:50 am

OK, if you look at the mdl files

essen1 is
LeaderRank = 1
Seniority = 17
MaxRank = 2
Title = $General1
LandLeader = 1
Promotable = Yes
Strategic = 3
Offensive = 2
Defensive = 2

And essen2
LeaderRank = 2
Seniority = 18
MaxRank = 2
Title = $General2
LandLeader = 1
Promotable = No
Strategic = 2
Offensive = 1
Defensive = 2

I am not very familiar with mdl files, just change the portrait line. So

essen1 (LeaderRank = 1) is a * and should be, according to your investigation the one that has a portrait already made, Peter Kirilovich

So the other is essen2 and a ** (LeaderRank = 2), is this right?

arsan

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:02 pm

I know nothing of mdl or modding, sorry :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
But i think that as you say, Rank 1 is *and rank 2 is **
But what worries me, seeing that essen1 is promotable is that maybe on game they are both considered the same leader and essen1 becomes esse2 when promoted :nuts:
I don't know how it works, maybe one of the Philips or a modder can help as i don't know if on game the two Essen are considered different leaders (as they should) or just different levels of a same leader...
Cheers!

Nikel

Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Nooooooooo!!! I already made the portrait :niark:

[ATTACH]3717[/ATTACH]

But you said that you had seen them at the same time, as separate generals with the same portrait. Or at least I understood you so, sorry
Attachments
essen.jpg

arsan

Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:18 pm

Looks great! as always!! :coeurs:

Yes i have seen two Essen at once on my game and as you have investigated, there are two of them on history.
My only doubt (as i know nothing about .mdl files) is that by mistake the game puts two versions of the same guy on the map at once, instead of two different guys with the same name and portrait.
There have been some double units and leader reported on another scenarios (like the Spanish one for example) so it could be the case here.

But don't worry, probably its just a case of two brothers leaders with the same name and a recycled portrait.
And if not, its an error that i think can be easily solved by the developers/modders, making them two separate leaders.
In the worst case, if only one Essen can be put on the scenario, your new portrait is the "good one", as it represent the important ** leader, not the more obscure * one :cwboy:

I will check the mdl files this afternoon to see what i can found...
Cheers!

Nikel

Thu Aug 14, 2008 1:00 am

OK, started for testing the russian campaign. On the startup there are two Essen at the same time and with the same portrait as you said. The ** general is at Riga and the * at Moldava.

Using a translator you can read that in 1812 the one with the new portrait was governor at Riga, so this must be the ** general, what fits with what you said

So before modding this is how they look like

[ATTACH]3724[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3725[/ATTACH]

And after with the new Essen and a new portrait of von Lowis of Menar, the other Essen remains the same as I found no portrait of Ansio

[ATTACH]3728[/ATTACH]

As there are a lot of portraits available (no all though) some staks are "at full strength". This is before modding and after modding, hope you like the new portraits

[ATTACH]3726[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3727[/ATTACH]

Regards.
Attachments
Essenmodding.jpg
Zamod.jpg
Zadefault.jpg
Essen2.jpg
Essendefault.jpg

Return to “NCP Mods”