jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Seven Years War: OOBs

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:16 am

Down here an example of Prussian Army Organization during the Seven Years War

The Prussian Army:

The Prussian army was a highly disciplined force with a history of battlefield success in previous wars. During the Seven Years War it would prove itself to still be a formidable force.

The Prussian army was composed of men from Prussia and also surrounding areas. At this time a large percentage of the army were people from other parts of German and nearby. Some of these people fought for money but many were forced to join Prussia’s army.

In total the Prussian army had 18,249 Infantry, 10,500 Cavalry, 98 Guns (52 Battalion Guns and 46 Heavy Guns).

Infantry: There were 24 Prussian Infantry battalions at the battle. These were either Grenadier, Musketeer or Fusilier battalions. All infantry wore dark blue coats.

Grenadier Battalions: 4 battalions of 600 to 650 men. The grenadiers were the best men from each musketeer or fusilier battalion formed into a separate company. The grenadier companies of two regiments were combined together to from elite units. The designation, for example 5/20, tells you which regiments the grenadiers came from. Grenadiers wore the distinctive grenadier cap.

Musketeer Battalions: 19 battalions of 700 to 750 men. The Musketeer regiments were the oldest ones in the army and generally the better ones. They were raised before Frederick the Great became king of Prussia They were the core of the Prussian infantry. Musketeers wore tricorne hats.

Fusilier Battalions: 1 battalion of 700 to 750 men. The Fusilier regiments were relatively new units and generally not as good as Musketeer units. They were raised by Frederick the Great. Fusiliers wore a fusilier cap.

Cavalry: The Prussian army fielded 13 cavalry regiments at this battle.

Cuirassiers: 9 regiments including the Garde du Corps. Squadrons had 150 to 170 each but the number of squadrons per regiment varied. There were 38 Cuirassier squadrons in total. Cuirassiers wore white or buff coats.

Dragoons: 3 regiments including one double sized one. Squadrons had 150 to 170 each but the number of squadrons per regiment varied. There were 20 Dragoon squadrons in total. Dragoons wore light blue coats.

Hussars: 1 regiment only. This regiment only had 3 squadrons of about 100 men. The colour of Prussian hussars uniforms was different for each unit. The unit at this battle wore green.

Order of Battle

Below is the order of battle of the Prussian army at Lobositz. After each units name is its number and also the number of battalions or squadrons it had at the battle.

Click here for units uniform and flag

Commander in Chief: Frederick II, King of Prussia

Second in Command: General Keith

Duke of Brunswick-Bevern’s Command
Munchow Fusilier Regiment (36): 1 battalion
Itzenplitz Musketeer Regiment (13): 1 battalion
Kleist Musketeer Regiment (27): 2 battalions
Jung-Billerbeck Grenadier Battalion (5/20): 1 battalion
Bevern Musketeer Regiment (7): 2 battalions
Manteuffel Musketeer Regiment (17): 2 battalions
Kleist Grenadier Battalion (3/6): 1 battalion

Main Musketeer Group:
Blanchensee Musketeer Regiment (30): 2 battalions
Hulsen Musketeer Regiment (21): 2 battalions
Quadt Musketeer Regiment (9): 2 battalions
Alt Anhalt Musketeer Regiment (3): 3 battalions
Zastrow Musketeer Regiment (20): 1 battalion
Grumbkow Grenadier Battalion (24/34): 1 battalion
Alt-Braunschweig Musketeer Regiment (5): 2 battalions
Puttkamer Grenadier Battalion (17/22): 1 battalion

Main Cavalry Group:
Rochow Cuirassier Regiment (C 8): 5 squadrons
Karabiniers Cuirassier Regiment (C 11) : 5 squadrons
Leib Cuirassier Regiment (C 3) : 5 squadrons
Markgraf Friedrich Cuirassier Regiment (C 5): 5 squadrons
Baron Schönaich Cuirassier Regiment (C 6): 5 squadrons
Driesen Cuirassier Regiment (C 7): 5 squadrons
Truchiess Dragoon Regiment (D 3): 5 squadrons
Katte Dragoon Regiment (D 4): 5 squadrons
Bayreuth Dragoon Regiment (D 5): 2 squadrons
Szekely Hussar Regiment (H 1): 3 squadrons

General Kyau’s Cavalry Group:
Prinz von Preussen Cuirassier Regiment (C 2): 2 squadrons
Gensdarmes Cuirassier Regiment (C 10): 5 squadrons
Garde du Corps (C 13): 1 squadron
Bayreuth Dragoon Regiment (D 5): 8 squadrons

Link:
http://www.wargaming.eu/battlefields/lovosice/oob_p.htm

While Regiment was the basic unit for the Seven Years War Armies, no Divisional or Corps organization were used.
You have also to consider that Army HQ organization was completely unknown in that Age

Guess Seven Years War Forces should be organized over the model used with AGEOD "Birth of America" Game.
Anything something must be adjusted in the game system to allow great troop concentrations, common during battles of the Seven Years War.

JastaV

aryaman

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:34 pm

jastaV wrote:

While Regiment was the basic unit for the Seven Years War Armies, no Divisional or Corps organization were used.
You have also to consider that Army HQ organization was completely unknown in that Age

Guess Seven Years War Forces should be organized over the model used with AGEOD "Birth of America" Game.
Anything something must be adjusted in the game system to allow great troop concentrations, common during battles of the Seven Years War.

JastaV

I disagree, the Battalion was the basic infantry tactical unit, regiments were administrative units. In battle, Battalions were groupped into Brigades. In an AGEOD game Brigades should take the place of divisions.

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:24 am

aryaman wrote:I disagree, the Battalion was the basic infantry tactical unit, regiments were administrative units. In battle, Battalions were groupped into Brigades. In an AGEOD game Brigades should take the place of divisions.

You are right!
Anyway my post was looking to the game system unit organization within AGEOD games.
In NCP we have great Command Cost Advantages when Units are organized into Divisions and Corps!

No Corps & Divisions were part of Frederick the Great Armies organization.
In the example I posted, Large Units are called “Groups”, with many Regiments regrouped in any Group.
An aspect that should be properly represented into any 7 Years War Game!

JastaV

aryaman

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:06 pm

That OOB you have posted is rather strange, Battalions were groupped into brigades, formations that could be used instead of divisions in the ageod system. Larger formations, like divisions, wings or battlelines were also used, although in a more provisory way. I know what I am talking about, I have looked into original XVIII century OOBs.

Offworlder
General

Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:36 pm

aryaman wrote:That OOB you have posted is rather strange, Battalions were groupped into brigades, formations that could be used instead of divisions in the ageod system. Larger formations, like divisions, wings or battlelines were also used, although in a more provisory way. I know what I am talking about, I have looked into original XVIII century OOBs.

I'd agree on brigades being the highest formation because divisions were used only later (theoretically created in the last days of the Ancien Regime and put into practice by the Revolutionaries). Maybe the Brigade structure can be adopted also for the forthcoming Ageod game in America.

Sunray

Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:29 pm

Offworlder wrote:I'd agree on brigades being the highest formation because divisions were used only later

Actually, the division system was first used in the seven years' war already. See the 'Observations sur le service de l’armée française en Allemagne' for 1760 (http://www.chez.com/praetiritifides/Anc_Reg/Sept_Ans.htm)

The French infantry was divided into four divisions (each with 16 bat.), with a stable composition for the whole campaign.

ORDRE DE BATAILLE EN PLAINE
« L'infanterie au centre, la cavalerie sur les ailes.
L'infanterie du centre sera séparée en (...) sections de première et de deuxième ligne ; chaque section sera composée de deux divisions de lieutenant-général (...)

« Un lieutenant-général attaché à l'infanterie doit avoir sous ses ordres seize bataillons et huit pièces de parc ; un maréchal de camp, huit bataillons et quatre pièces ; un brigadier, quatre bataillons.
Un lieutenant-général attaché à la cavalerie aura sous ses ordres vingt-quatre escadrons, huit pièces de parc ; un maréchal de camp, douze escadrons et quatre pièces, et un brigadier, six escadrons.

« Infantry on the center, cavalry on the wings.
The infantry on the center is divided into sections of 1st and 2nd line ; each section is made of 2 divisions of a lieutenant-general (...)
« A lieutenant-general of infantry should command 16 battalions and 8 guns ; a marechal de camp, 8 battalions and 4 guns ; a brigadier, 4 battalions.
A lieutenant-general of cavalry should command 24 squadrons and 8 guns ; a marechal de camp, 12 squadrons and 4 guns , and a brigadier, six squadrons.

Return to “NCP Mods”