ltr213
Captain

Seven Years War Mod... anyone?

Thu Jan 17, 2008 8:13 pm

I'm interested in modding the Seven Years War using the NCP system. Am I the only one, or are there others like me out there with an interest in Fredrick the Great?

Laurence

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:00 pm

ltr213 wrote:I'm interested in modding the Seven Years War using the NCP system. Am I the only one, or are there others like me out there with an interest in Fredrick the Great?

Laurence

I do not have NCP yet, but I was thinking along those lines, too. I'm busy on the F&I War Mod for BOA right now so It would be a while before I could get to it.

What I'd love to see is AGEOD do their excellent work on the subject of the Seven Years War, and then mod a War of Austrian Succession off of that as a base. Starting from scratch is a heck of a lot harder to do than just making some changes and additions. But if we have enough 'modding experts' involved I'll help in any way I can.

Another way is to start small. If I knew what I know now about modding BOA back when I really started getting into it I would have started with a smaller scenario and work my way up. Concentrate on specific campaigns or battles to start, like Frederick's invasion of Saxony, to get the ball rolling before tackling the full war.

PhilThib

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:20 pm

These are interesting points. Let's talk together about this...

Bruit Bleu

Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:42 pm

This mod would be very interesting, and a good parallel to BOA, but if a mod for NCP is made, why not a pre-empire one with first coalitions wars, Vendée and other revolutionary campaigns ? :nuts:
Maybe are this scenarios already in AGEOD's planning ? :innocent:

However, this 7 years wars project is very welcome !
I encourage it a lot though I fear I'm not competent to help you if you're recruiting modders-gurus...

Silkow

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:53 am

I´m VERY interested in the 7YW, especially in the Saxon theater (and army).
Maybe because I live in Dresden and I´m a Saxon myself... :sourcil:

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:07 am

Just to mess with everyone and wet your appetite

Prussian invasion of Saxony

:niark:
:siffle:
:sourcil:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Apr 14, 2008 11:18 pm

ltr213 wrote:I'm interested in modding the Seven Years War using the NCP system. Am I the only one, or are there others like me out there with an interest in Fredrick the Great?

Laurence

A great idea.
I have a boardgame, in my collection: The Campaigns of Frederick the Great edited by BW games.
You should look at it for OOBs and other issues: it's strickly compatible with NPC system.

JastaV

PhilThib

Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:32 am

Could you send or show us an example, so we can see 'compatibility' ? :indien:

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:15 am

PhilThib wrote:Could you send or show us an example, so we can see 'compatibility' ? :indien:

I'll manage to scan and send you the Game Manual and game sheet/tables.
OOB for Seven Years War included.

Here is my e-mail address:
jastav@gmail.com
Please contact me to communicate an e-mail address where I'll have to send you all you need.

Regards

JastaV

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:52 pm

PhilThib wrote:Could you send or show us an example, so we can see 'compatibility' ? :indien:

PhilThib, please check you e-mail box: you should catch there all documentation you were looking for.

JastaV

PhilThib

Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:04 pm

Received a lot. I transmitted quite a few to Hok who shall follow this in the future as well. Thanks :coeurs:

aryaman

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:49 am

IMO a seven years war scenario would require some changes in the overall scenario features, for instance 15 days turns instead of 7 days, severely downgrading major roads for movement, and a different system for winters, armies didn´t take winter quarters for so long because bad weather, but because there was no green fodder available in the fields.

Another suggestion would be to use battalion (and squadron for cavalry) as units instead of brigades or regiments, and not to worry too much about the precision of individual names, as it creating such an OOB could be a very hard work, instead I think it is more important to get right the numbers.

Fortresses should be more numerous than in NCP as they played a more important role at the time.

Finally, I would get just a single uniform for each type of unit, getting right the enormous variation of uniforms there was at the time would be an enormous task not worth the effort.

aryaman

Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:25 pm

Well, squadrons for cavalry could actually be too small, maybe they could be used as models, and regiments for units

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:06 pm

aryaman

Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:50 pm

thanks for the links, the second especially is an excellent one

Nikel

Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi

The coming of Frederick the Great's AGEod game means that this idea is over? :siffle:

What happened with ltr213? There are a lot of people that were active on NCP that are missing now :p leure:

Is ltr213 an AGEod employee and is working on Frederick the Great game?

PhilThib

Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:18 pm

Our Frederick project is still underway (and so, yes, the idea is shelved for the time being)... :king:

As for our friend Laurence (ltr123) he had other matters to assess and decided to withdraw from the team at the moment. :indien:

Nikel

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:12 pm

OK, thanks for the clarification! ;)

It is understandable, they are overlapping projects.

I was not sure about ltr123 (Laurence), being an employee or volunteer, I know he made part (all?) of the last version of the NCP manual and some scenarios?, but as there are some volunteers here that look like employees :niark: ;)

But how an employee can suggest a mod (free I suppose) that later will be in fact a new game (not free), this is the reason you fired him? :niark: , jut kidding of course :)

Now seriously, about Frederick the Great I suppose you will say nothing, but I will dare to ask as nobody does it. From the name of the game and from the screenshot at Cyberstratege, may we think that only the centre of Europe will be included on the map? I mean for example other european theaters like french attack on Minorca island will not be possible?

http://www.kronoskaf.com/syw/index.php?title=1756-05-20_-_Battle_of_Minorca

Return to “NCP Mods”