jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

The specification of subunit names in setup files

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:26 pm

Looking at any Setup excel foil, Column D encode the Number of Sub Unit components per unit, while Column G enlist Sub Unit names per unit encoded in that same line.

I please you to confirm!
Indeed all my tests as available docs/editing guides seem to confirm that!

[color="Red"][SIZE="2"]NOW the Trouble!!!!![/size][/color]

Please look to LGE_Setup_scenar_1813r.exc file from last NCP DB.
Open it at first foil the setup one.
Look at line 283:

F13;2/Brigade Bachelet;uni_FRA_LineBde18;[color="Red"]2[/color];NULL;Gen. Brg. Bachelet;[color="RoyalBlue"]139e Ligne|NULL|NULL[/color]

[color="Red"]Column D data are Red Marked[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]Column G data are Blue Marked[/color]

In line 283 2 SubUnit components are encoded to be used in column D, while just one was named in Column G.

Second example: line 322
F13;Brigade von Stockmayer;uni_WUR_LtBde2;[color="Red"]1[/color];NULL;GM. von Stockmayer;[color="RoyalBlue"]9e Btn Leger Wurt.|10e Btn. Leger Wurt.|NULL[/color]

Here just one subunit component was encoded to be used in column D, while 2 are named into column G.

Third example: line 420
F13;Brigade Sierawski;uni_POL_Bde7;[color="Red"]1[/color];NULL;Gen. Brg. Sierawski;[color="RoyalBlue"]1er Ligne Polonais|16e Ligne Polonais|NULL[/color]

Same mistake as in line 322!?

BTW, if my suppositions are true we have a mess of such mistakes spreaded all over setup excel files, for all campaigns.

Hope you'll find the notification useful!
JastaV

lodilefty

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:34 pm

jastaV wrote:Looking at any Setup excel foil, Column D encode the Number of Sub Unit components per unit, while Column G enlist Sub Unit names per unit encoded in that same line.

I please you to confirm!
Indeed all my tests as available docs/editing guides seem to confirm that!

[color="Red"][SIZE="2"]NOW the Trouble!!!!![/size][/color]

Please look to LGE_Setup_scenar_1813r.exc file from last NCP DB.
Open it at first foil the setup one.
Look at line 283:

F13;2/Brigade Bachelet;uni_FRA_LineBde18;[color="Red"]2[/color];NULL;Gen. Brg. Bachelet;[color="RoyalBlue"]139e Ligne|NULL|NULL[/color]

[color="Red"]Column D data are Red Marked[/color]
[color="RoyalBlue"]Column G data are Blue Marked[/color]

In line 283 2 SubUnit components are encoded to be used in column D, while just one was named in Column G.

Second example: line 322
F13;Brigade von Stockmayer;uni_WUR_LtBde2;[color="Red"]1[/color];NULL;GM. von Stockmayer;[color="RoyalBlue"]9e Btn Leger Wurt.|10e Btn. Leger Wurt.|NULL[/color]

Here just one subunit component was encoded to be used in column D, while 2 are named into column G.

Third example: line 420
F13;Brigade Sierawski;uni_POL_Bde7;[color="Red"]1[/color];NULL;Gen. Brg. Sierawski;[color="RoyalBlue"]1er Ligne Polonais|16e Ligne Polonais|NULL[/color]

Same mistake as in line 322!?

BTW, if my suppositions are true we have a mess of such mistakes spreaded all over setup excel files, for all campaigns.

Hope you'll find the notification useful!
JastaV

IMHO, these are not mistakes. The engine will supply the default subunit name from the DB...

IF you have [color="Red"]historical OOB [/color]to 'fill out' these units, then changes can be made, or you can add fictional data to your own mod if no historical data is available...

This will NOT cause any sort of 'error' in game function.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:48 pm

lodilefty wrote:IMHO, these are not mistakes. The engine will supply the default subunit name from the DB...

IF you have [color="Red"]historical OOB [/color]to 'fill out' these units, then changes can be made, or you can add fictional data to your own mod if no historical data is available...

This will NOT cause any sort of 'error' in game function.

Hi lodi'!

I did not check historical accuracy of the OOB I'm referring too.
Not yet!
Indeed, I suspect that data in column D, have been edited thinking to SU-componets to be subtracted from any unit rather than thinking to SU-componets to be added!
Some search over historical OOB docs could clarify!

BTW, although these mistakes do not carry game crashes or instability, generate confusion in the way SU are named: when no names for a SU has been edited into column G that batallion figure out as "Ligne Inf." against the more specific "3e Infanterie de Ligne" we should expect!

lodilefty

Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:52 pm

jastaV wrote:Hi lodi'!

I did not check historical accuracy of the OOB I'm referring too.
Not yet!
Indeed, I suspect that data in column D, have been edited thinking to SU-componets to be subtracted from any unit rather than thinking to SU-componets to be added!
Some search over historical OOB docs could clarify!

BTW, although these mistakes do not carry game crashes or instability, generate confusion in the way SU are named: when no names for a SU has been edited into column G that batallion figure out as "Ligne Inf." against the more specific "3e Infanterie de Ligne" we should expect!

My point exactly. No harm in a generic name, except in historical info.

The game plays OK. What confusion can arise from a generic subunit name? It doesn't show up anywhere but in unit detail. If we know there was another element, but don't know it's name, where's the harm?

Once we get good, documented OOB from a widely recognized source, changes can be considered.

Of course, mods are always good in the interim...
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:32 pm

lodilefty wrote:My point exactly. No harm in a generic name, except in historical info.

The game plays OK. What confusion can arise from a generic subunit name? It doesn't show up anywhere but in unit detail. If we know there was another element, but don't know it's name, where's the harm?

I'll not take this one as an encouragement to give up with historical research, or to pass over historical accuracy that had a great part in AGEod titles fortune.
WE do not like play Warhammer here......
.......but great fun we could have with greenskins! :w00t:

FM WarB
Colonel

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:57 am

I believe this is related to my concern voiced here:
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=9835

It may have to do with the use of the NULL to make 2 element units out of Units that have 3 elements in their original configuration. Etc.

Tryinig to use units not exactly as they were designed causes elements to be dropped from the game when it is loaded.

Return to “NCP Mods”