Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Waterloo 1815 aar

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:16 am

Ok, hum first of all I'll write in english because most people don't understand french but please keep in mind that my mother language is french. Ok so this is my first aar ever in any game but I read a lot in games like Europa Universalis 2,3 Victoria etc..., Birth of america and Napoleon's campaign. I chose that scenario because its short (good for a first aar), I played it sometimes now but manage to win only once by 1 VP!!! So I might end up losing, I'm not a very good player but I still have a lot of fun playing AGEOD games. Ok so here's a screenshot of the settings:

Ok, so this will be a image heavy and tactics type of aar since I don't know THAT much about Napoleon's campaigns history. I'll post every turn when I'll finish them so if it takes some time don't go all crazy since i'm a busy man.
By the way.... it's a shame French lost at the Plaines d'Abraham. :innocent:

Edit: Almost forgot the most important thing!! I'll play as the French.

PS: To see bigger pictures click on them.

Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:39 am

Ok, in my previous games i've learned that going all out attack is not a good idea, so I'll take defensive positions:

1. First of all I know the allies will try to take Lille, in my previous games that always succeeded more or less quickly. To counter this I'm sending Gen.Honoré Reille with his 25000 men to defend Lille and maybe counter attack against Bruxelles if I manage to win a big battle.

2. Since I know that by sending Reille alone is not enough to keep Lille I'll send the first cavalry corps with roughly 3200 men and 12 canons to help to withstand the assault.

3. I'll take Napoleon back at Beauvais with 54800 men to defend Paris if the allies get pass the left and right flank.

4. The right flank is a very weak one, i thought about retreating Grouchy to Verdun but that would leave a precious depot for the ennemy but then I realised a Division on Napoleon's starting location is supposed to be with the right flank... So I'm sending the third corps under Vandamme (Jean-Claude? lol meh not funny....) to the right flank.

Left flank : 53000 men (includind Lille's garnison) to defend Lille
Centre under Napoleon : 54800 men to defend Paris and attack if it goes well
Right flank : 42000 men
Total : approximatly 150 000 men

I never tried that tactic so we'll see how it's going to go.

Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:52 am

Everything went as planned except for Vandamme who's still at one day march to its final destination. You can see in Namur a Maréchal (told you I don't know that much about history even though I love history) who's regrouping a big army, probably to attack right flank and then attack every single city on the right flank and then go to Paris! There was no battle in the first turn 6 more to go. I'm taking no more action, going to wait and see as we say.

Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:19 am

Ok a lot happened this turn, unfortunatly it doesn't look good for the french, we lost two battles, not decisive ones but now Lille is under siege as I planned so let's see what happenned:

First: That big army in Namur under the command of a Maréchal was in fact under the command of Maréchal Blücher. A competent? (6-4-3) tactician. As I planned the allies attacked Lille ''en masse''. My left flank army was not able to withstand here's the report:

We almost lost the double of men and horses than the ennemy but they had the numerical advantage. Blücher decided to pursue my retreating army to Arras:

In the skirmishes around Arras we lost 4 precious canons but at least we inflicted some casualties to the ennemy.

So here is my plan for the next turn:

1 - I'll send Napoleon and the entire centre army with the help of the first corps under Drouet (who retreated from Lille) to relieve the siege of Lille

2 - I'll send the entire right flank to siege Namur to take some pressure away from Lille, I'm pretty sur there's some allied skirmishers in Luxemburg flanking me to take eastern french cities, unfortunatly I can't make smaller armies to deal with them because those small armies would get crush one after another...

Turn summary:

2 battles: Lille - Prussian victory under Blücher.
Arras - Prussian victory under Blücher pursuing retreating 1st corps.

Total casualties: French: 22222 :8o: Allies : 11500
VP : French : 55 Allies : 75

The war is not over! (I hope so....)

Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:59 am

Looks like this aar is going to be over soon... bah anyway I'm doing this for fun not for victory.

Ok! so I lost all major battles in that turn and I lost a lot of men and equipment (see battle for Lille)

First of all the attack to relieve Lille was a total disaster...

I lost 71 canons... that's horrible... at least I've inflicted more casualties to our ennemies but a lot of my horses died in the battle. There's another very bad event...

Ney was late for the battle, so instead of supporting the army for the big battle he just threw his corps against a smaller British army relieving the Prussians for the siege of Lille. Even though his army was two times bigger than the British' one and that he had a very big cavalry against no British' cavalry he lost a crushing defeat! (remind me to hang him if I win the war)

So here's the situation after this horrible turn and my next moves and tactical questions:

1 - I'm retreating my entire centre and left armies to Amien to avoid any contact with the Prussian army (4) and to consolidate my forces.

2 - I still have approximatly 20000 troops in Lille but those can't do anything and 8000 of them are the garnison.

3 - The attack on Namur went as planned but it didn't ease the attacks on Lille as I expected, I now have a dillema? about what to do next, Assaulting Namur would not be wise since I suspect the Prussian army to be on it's way to relieve the siege and then my army would be exhausted to fight a even bigger army. So I got three choices. First: attack Lille to relieve the siege. Second: attack the disorganise(after the big battle at Lille) Prussian army. Third and last: continue the siege on Namur and get attacked in the back by the Prussian army (porbably). I made my choice: I'll attack the Prussian army with the right flank army (40 000 men 3000 cavalry and 80 canons) it will probably end in a defeat but we'll see.

4. THE problem, the Prussian army won't probably stand there, it got 4 choices, attack Lille, attack Napoleon, attack right flank army at Namur or attack the undefended right flank. In either ways I'm screwed...

Turn summary:

Battles : Lille day-1 Prussian victory under von Bulow (I lost 71 canons)
Lille day-4 Crushing British victory against Ney

Total casualties: French: 49747 Allies: 43900
(pretty close actually I might have a chance)

VP: French : 80 Allies: 257
(maybe not after all...)

End of turn (4 remaining)

Edit: I'll take some resolutions all but the ones that give me National moral and the one that extand the campaign, I need replacements!

Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:36 am

Another bad turn. Nothing went to plan, the retreating armies (retreating to Napoleon's position) got attacked in their march so Napoleon and the regrouped armies at Amien and the troops in Lille joined the fight since the British laying siege to Lille joined the battle too.

So now I lost most of my canons, I'm pretty much doomed, anyway... at least I've inflicted some heavy casualties on the Allies side.

Now, another thing that didn't worked as planned. The two corps forming the right flank which were supposed to attack the Prussian army thus could have made the balance shift in my favor in the battle at Arras got attacked by the garnison in Namur. Thus they were unable to move this turn. At least I've almost destroyed the garnison but I almost got my VP destroyed because of the battle at Arras.

So again here's the situation and my plans for the next turn.

Ok very simple:

1- I absolutly need to get my right flank army to the south to help Napoleon, otherwise everything is lost.

2- Napoleon will stay there with the remnants of the centre and left flank armies and defend Amien.

Turn summary:

Battles: Arras: British victory under Hill (lost most of the remnants of my canons)
Namur: First French victory since the start of the campaign. :p leure:

Total casualties: French: 71 262 Allies: 69360

VP: French: 74 Allies: 357

End of the turn (3 remaining)

Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:48 am

Paris is under siege!

Disaster at Namur! The besieged got reinforced by a Prussian army under von Bulow. My entire right flank army was routed with heavy casualties:

Here's the situation and probably the plans for the last turn:

Napoleon will be trying to reach Paris to defend it, my right flank army is retreating to Sedan.

Turn summary:

Battles: Namur: decisive Prussian victory

Total casualties: French: 90 901 Allies: 77560

VP: French: 99 Allies: 424

End of the turn (2 remaining)

Gen.Montcalm
Lieutenant

Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:30 am

Paris est tombé! Napoleon was'nt able to reach the besieged city in time...

Here's the game's summary:

Since I'm still mastering the game that was fun even though I lost. Any comments about rules, tactics, the way the aar is writen, mispelling and intelligent comments are welcome. Any stupidity is better in your head than in here, thank you, and thank you for reading. I shall make other aars in time. Hope you enjoyed!

Return to “Wars of Napoleon AARs”