Syt
Colonel

[PBEM]Thunder on the Danube - 1809

Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:38 am

PLEASE NOTE: This AAR is with the unpatched version of NC - hence the weird casualty ratios.

I am currently playing a friend in the 1809 scenario - me Austria, him France. We play with historical generals and attrition, fog of war, and no instant redeployments.

The Situation in early April 1809.

Austria's Bavarian Army, under the command of Archduke Karl, is ready for combat north of the Alps. North of the Danube are the Corps of de Bellegarde (2 Divisions) and Kollowrath (3 Divisions). The Duke of Brunswick and his Black Horde are operating independently. They will do the reconnaissance north of the Danube and try to get behind the enemy. Kollowrath and Bellegarde will hold their positions.

Meanwhile the units in the South (Hiller, Rosenberg-Orsini, Archduke Ludwig and the Prince of Hohenzollern-Echingen, each with three divisions and led by Archduke Karl hismelf) will advance towards München to capture the city and maybe engage Lefebvre (though I doubt that will happen). Once in Munich, the force will move north to Nuremburg where Davout currently is. As Davout is likely to have moved east when my troops arrive, they will angle north nevertheless, hopefully also appearing in Davout's rear.

South of the Alps, the Tirolian Army is bogged down. They will remain on the defense, as strong French troops are massed in the Friaul. Hopefully the Tirolian rebels under Andreas Hofer will be able to detract them a bit. Additionally, Liechtenstein's Corps will move from Vienna into Carinthia to strengthen the defence there.

In the Northeast, Erzherzog Ferdinand holds Krakow in case the Poles decide to meddle.

The main problem will be that the Austrian leaders blow chunks. Almost all have Strat Rating of 3 or 4 and Off/Def rating at 0 or 1. Erzherzog Karl is the brightest of the bunch with 4-3-4. <_<

The key will likely be to mass my troops and try to hit the French units piecemeal.

Turn 2.

Not much has happened, but the snow has cleared.

The Black Horde has crossed the Elbe river and found Bernadotte at Dresden with three divisions. The Duke of Brunswick will turn south to bypass Bernie and head east on an alternate route. Other routes are not viable as it would be likely Bernadotte would engage the much weaker unit of the Duke.

A small engagement took place in Munich. Lefebvre retreated north, and Munich is taken by Austrian troops. Davout has remained oddly static in Nuremberg.

In the South, Marmont and Grouchy have taken Trieste. My Tirolian army will join forces at Villach to fend off their probes into Austrian territory.

In the Alps itself a minor skirmish took place, but nothing serious. The French have committed Lecchi to fight Hofer.

I spent resources on replacements for my troops. I have an option to spend English subsidies to increase national morale by 10%. I am now at 115% and will gain instant victoiry if I hit 150, so I will reserve this option for a tight spot. ;)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.
- Reinhold Spengler, war volunteer 1st Bavarian Infanterie Regmnt., 1916

Syt
Colonel

Fri Nov 16, 2007 1:52 pm

Turn 3.

Snow is back, impeding movement and adding to the attrition. Davout has left Nuremberg and advanced to the Naab river. Hopefully, the weather and woods on the eastern side of the river will slow him down sufficiently. Meanwhile, the main force will attack Lefebvre who is holding the Danube crossing at Regensburg.

A cavalry unit has detached on the Adriatic and is threatening Laibach. Corps Chasteler will move to intercept and try to outflank Marmont and Eugene de Beauharnais. Gyulay would be in Laibach a week sooner, but I may need his extra punch in Villach.

Poniatowski has left Warsaw. Where to is uncertain. As Prussian territory is neutral in this scenario, the only viable route is to come down on Krakow. In any case, he will not make much headstart in the snowy conditions. There's an off chance he heads for Lemberg to score the victory points for it, but for now, my Corps in Krakow will remain still.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

The brutality and inhumanity of war stood in great contrast to what I had heard and read about as a youth.

Syt
Colonel

Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:12 am

Turn 4.

Not unexpected, but still as somewhat of a surprise, Erzherzog Karl ran right into the arms of Napoléon's army ... with devastating results. Boney caught the Austrians while two thirds of our army was still busy crossing the Isar river. The French also used the terrain to their advantage. Karl tried to retreat twice before disengaging. He and the Corps of Hohenzollern and of Erzherzog Ludwig managed to retreat to Munich in good order. Both corps commanders were commended. However, a local revolt has put Munich into the hands of Bavarians. The Corps of Rosenberg and Hiller - both were scolded for their incompetence - still lag behind.

The units south of the Danube will take new positions behind the Inn and try to defend the river crossing there. The northern force will also slowly retreat, bot forces converging on the Habsburg capital of Vienna in a fighting retreat. The Black Horde will try to harass the enemy by trying to capture the supply depot at Würzburg. Poland remains quiet, but I have sent out the Corps of Erzherzog Ferdinand to venture north and maybe capture Lublin. In the South my troops will try to use their numerical superiority for their advantage. And we draft new reinforcements.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:41 am

Turn 5.

Napoléon's main force (himself, Lannes, Lefebvre, Davout, Masséna) has disengaged my troops and appears to break north across the Danube at Regensburg. Not before dealing another bad blow to my troops, however. My troops, nevertheless, continue their withdrawal to Linz. The two corps north of the Danube are now shadowed by Bernadotte. The continue their move, but now towards Krems.

The Souther theater also saw its firs real engagement, again to the French' advantage. A French division has taken Ragusa on the Adriatic, and nine more under Eugène de Beauharnais and Marshal Marmont force mte to unite my troops in Villach now.

The situation in the south.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 5:47 pm

Turn 6.

The situation:

Things continue to look not so good. Bernadotte has bypassed the North Danubian force to lay siege to Prague. The two corps there will try to relieve the siege.

The South Danubian Force continues on to Linz. Napoleon cost me another 3,000 men near Munich, and three of the four corps are somewhat badly beaten up. Resources are getting scarce. Brunswick taking the Depot in Würzburg helped a bit, but we are running out of gold - I still ordered more reserves to be drafted.
Our beat up corps.

Still, our morale is looking better than that of the French.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:06 pm

Btw, comments are always welcome. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ibarrategui
Civilian

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Interesting.

(I'm new here : could you really quickly (one sentence) explain how do you improve your morale... and how the adverse morale increase or decrease please?).

Now, are your chances of victory high? or moderate?

Clayroger
Private

Sun Nov 18, 2007 6:58 pm

Really very good AAR !
An excellent way to learn also, as I'm new to this system.

Thank's a lot.

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Ibarrategui wrote:(I'm new here : could you really quickly (one sentence) explain how do you improve your morale... and how the adverse morale increase or decrease please?).

Morale is gained and lost by the aoutcomes of large battles, as well as the taking and losing of key cities. Each side has a two morale limits - if you drop below the lower limits you lose by default; if you exceed the upper limit you win by default.

Now, are your chances of victory high? or moderate?

Well, the latest developments have given me a bit hope again after the first crushing defeats. It appears I have a small chance to strike the French forces while they are seperated.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:59 pm

Turn 7.

In a major "What the ...?"-moment I notice that Napoleon obviously force marched right past my South Danube forces and now stands with two corps (himself and Masséna) between me and Vienna. Napoleon is in Linz, while Masséna lags behind and still has to cross the Salza. My troops have just received a few inforcements to replenish the hurt units, and I can catch Masséna before he reachers Linz, and attack Napoléon and his three divisions alone; even crossing the river shouldn't be so terrible in this case. Therefore, Archduke Karl will gamble to attack.

Prague has fallen to Bernadotte. The two corps to dislodge him have still four days marching ahead of them.

The Black Horde of Duke Brunswick has taken Nuremberg. The French Corps under Kellermann, numerically stronger than the Horde, is in the are, so the Duke will head east towards Eger which was captured by the French. They will maintain their defensive orders to retreat if engaged.

A cavalry division of the Poles has taken Krakow. Archduke Ferdinand will first move to Krakow, trying to engage this force, then try to also engage the two divisions of Poniatowski afterwards.

In the South Marmon has inexplicably withdrawn to Triest while Eugene sieges Laibach. In a valiant attempt, the Tirolian army will attempt to relieve the siege. In the meantime Andreas Hofer will try to carry the Tirolian revolt into northern Italy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:00 pm

Clayroger wrote:Really very good AAR !
An excellent way to learn also, as I'm new to this system.

Thank's a lot.

Thanks. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:25 pm

Turn 8.

The Battle of Passau/Linz did not quite go as expected. To top things off, Erzherzog Karl was wounded in the fighting. Archduke Johann has taken over the high command. My troops are still in supply from Salzburg, though and will rest for this turn to regain strength. Or so I hope.

The French troops in Poland have eluded me, but I am not giving up there just yet. At least we managed to score a victory in Laibach. The fighting lasted 4 days and swung back and forth, but we did manage to make this a win for the Habsburg Empire. The French Marshal Marmont has advanced towards the site of battle, but we will try to hold Laibach now. And while Würzburg and Nuremberg were lost again, the Black Horde took back Eger.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:34 am

Turn 9.

The South Danubian corps have been hammered again by Napoleon, losing an additional 9,000 men. They are now recovering in Salzburg, and wait their chance to break the French drive on Vienna.

The Battle of Prague
Nevertheless, the turn results are good for us. Bernadotte's corps has been completely obliterated in two battles, while the attacking corps sustained minor losses. The glorious victories brought up our morale by 9 points. Laibach is now again firmly in Austrian hands, and the Austrian armies are committed to pursue Beauharnais into Italy.

The situation in early June.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

ird
Sergeant

Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:49 pm

I'm still learning AACW and I've been resisting buying NAP for now but those screenshots have more or less convinced me - I'll have it downloaded by the end of the week - great AAR by the way

Syt
Colonel

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Thanks, I hope you enjoy wll enjoy the game. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:31 pm

Turn 10.

Not much has happened. Nappy's troops are controlling Vienna and the lands south of the Danube. My troops are still recovering in Salzburg. Krakow is under siege. Andreas Hofer's Tirolian Rebels have managed to swiftly capture Mantua and will continue to annoy the French in northern Italy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:39 am

Turn 11.

Again a rather uneventful round. The army in Salzburg has recovered sufficiently to try and engage Napoleon in Steyr. The numbers should work in our favor there. However, his other corps (Davout etc.) are not seen. I hope they are still ine Vienna. Hofer's rebels managed to take Milan. Bernadotte took another beating, and we try to kick him west, aiming and Venice.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

flintlock
Captain

Good Stuff

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:07 am

Great AAR, Syt. Really enjoying following this one! :)

Syt
Colonel

Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:47 am

flintlock wrote:Great AAR, Syt. Really enjoying following this one! :)

Thanks, I'm gonna update it tonight. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Syt
Colonel

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:18 pm

Turn 12.

Another crushing defeat from the hands of the Corsican Ogre.

As this will likely continue (especially at those drsastic rates this is played with the unpatched version) i have offered my opponent to concede this match to him. He is holding all objective cities, has a 33% lead in victory points, and even though I am doing well in Italy and Poland, the armies there would do little good, even if I could get them to unit against the French main force. Also, I have run out of money, meaning I can not really draft more replacements from the scenario options. I currently have only two regiments of line infantry left as replacements, by far not enough to replace my casualties.

The situation.

The score.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

bbriley
Lieutenant

A Very Nice Job on This AAR!

Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:19 am

Hi Cyt,

I noticed the link to this AAR from November on the Armchair General Forums, where I am a (very inactive) member. I got there by direct link, in turn, from another gaming forum: Gamesquad.com (which changed names and/or owners not too long ago).

Did you use Paint to add lines, movement paths, etc., on the screen shots?

Return to “Wars of Napoleon AARs”