Taillebois
General of the Army

AGEOD games are great - keep making them

Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:42 pm

I'll never play them all, but the detail and atmosphere is good.

Two requests: Ok, one.

No matter how hard you make "Hard" make "Easy" very easy.

I almost feel that you have an obligation to make history and geography easily approachable.

I despair at the errors made by our political leaders in repeating the errors made by our forefathers. Each generation should have the knowledge to be free to make their own new mistakes, not just repeat previous ones. It is so tedious.

Pocus

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:38 pm

Scenarios are not balanced as the starting positions in chess... Some scenarios strongly favor a side, and this is indicated in their description. So if you take an easy scenario, put the AI on easy and basically sit and wait, you win... That should be easy enough, right? ;)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

vonRocko
Colonel

Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:24 pm

The best way to learn is "hard". Getting your butt kicked is a great learning experience! :thumbsup:

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:08 pm

Ok Philippe, I just got a victory (well stalemate but more points) as Napoleon by doing nothing except press return. So thank you.

Now, I just accidentally bought the Franco Prussian War scenario for Pride of Nations for 1.99. (Accidentally because I went looking for Revolution under Siege!)

Have you thought of making scenario tools available to anyone and then splitting scenario sales 50:50 - a bit like phone app sales?

Pocus

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:13 am

We have thought of many things to increase 'brand awareness', but we hit the same wall as so many small companies: we have barely the human resources to create products (aka games in our case). Taking your suggestion about tools for example: we have some internal tools, that are not super user friendly and demand dozen of hours of knowledge before being efficient with. Given the complexity and richness of the engine, it would take several hundreds of hours to have them user-friendly.

See Paradox, they have much more man/money power, yet they never did a public scenario editor... I'm not saying they are always right, but for them also it is not worth the resources to spend.

Anyway, now that I think of it... It would be hard for a casual modder to make a DLC, but if you take RUS or AJE, these are whole projects done by dedicated players who learned by themselves how to mod the game, so the engine is not that obscure... If some serious people want to do a game, we have no problem in licensing the AGE engine for a single project, we did that twice actually already.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:40 am

Thanks for the long reply. I guess that makes the Combat Mission, Operational Art of War, Sudden Strike editors pretty unusual although I am sure there are others. I'm running out of ideas to try and get you guys up to M. Hollande's 75% tax bracket.

PhilThib

Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:57 am

Pocus wrote:Anyway, now that I think of it... It would be hard for a casual modder to make a DLC, but if you take RUS or AJE, these are whole projects done by dedicated players who learned by themselves how to mod the game, so the engine is not that obscure... If some serious people want to do a game, we have no problem in licensing the AGE engine for a single project, we did that twice actually already.

A good example of this is the SCW project made by our Spanish fan Beuckelstein on the RUS engine

The idea also of the Large European Map project was the same, give players/modders a tool to start with...

Leibst

Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:37 pm

PhilThib wrote:A good example of this is the SCW project made by our Spanish fan Beuckelstein on the RUS engine

The idea also of the Large European Map project was the same, give players/modders a tool to start with...

ehem, Beuckelstein?? :mdr:

wosung

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Get used to it. This name will stick. *Beuckelstein's Non paseran*, *Famous Beuckelstein said*, *Beuckelstein paradigma*.

To Phil: Any chances for players to make their own maps, like non-european ones?

Regards

Leibst

Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:15 pm

wosung wrote:Get used to it. This name will stick. *Beuckelstein's Non paseran*, *Famous Beuckelstein said*, *Beuckelstein paradigma*.

To Phil: Any chances for players to make their own maps, like non-european ones?

Regards
i have done my own map. See here http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?24480-SCW-under-RUS-Engine

wosung

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank you! Didn't know that.That makes your SCW work even more amazing.

Regards

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:42 pm

Philippe,

You could have a forum section for modding and scenarios, transfer some threads like the one above from Leibstandarte as a start. Then see what happens. There is clearly a lot of complex knowledge and tips to pass over but if you build up a sort of "knowledge base" you may find all manner of unexpected things happen. People who are enthusiasts for a particular area, era, or conflict may well have the desire and stamina to overcome the learning curve.

PhilThib

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:19 pm

Yes, will need some forum reorganization worK..I'll have a talk with our forum master, Rafiki, when he is back from his July vacation...

PhilThib

Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:22 pm

wosung wrote:Get used to it. This name will stick. *Beuckelstein's Non paseran*, *Famous Beuckelstein said*, *Beuckelstein paradigma*.

Regards

My apologies to Leibstandarte...; :mdr:

Yes, any map can be made...it's just a matter of time, and also to know what you want to do with it...

Return to “AGEOD Webshop”