Pocus

[VGN+] - New commands : SetUnknownRegions / SetKnownRegions

Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:25 pm

SetUnknownRegions: This command declares the regions which are not known to civilized nations (ie uncharted / Terra incognita). All the rest wil be known when this command is called.

eg SetUnknownRegions = $NorthPole|$SouthPole

Will make these 2 uncharted and the rest of the world explored.

SetKnownRegions work a bit in reverse, ie it allows to add one (or several) regions to the explored list.

Uncharted regions appears with a generic texture and without any information about them. Only leaders with Explorer ability can penetrate them (with some men).

note: This only work for VGN (ie if RuleExploration is Simple or above).
note2: with RuleExploration Advanced, each faction maintains a list of known regions (no game use that for now).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Tom
Private

Re: [VGN+] - New commands : SetUnknownRegions / SetKnownRegions

Sat Jun 20, 2020 12:46 pm

Hi Pocus (or anyone else who knows),

I have switched to an emergent faction (CSA in this case), and the entire screen is black each time I load. If I use RevealTI in the console, there are 3 problems:
1) Also playing as other factions, running a turn after using RevealTI forces revealing all for other factions (maybe also the AI ones?)
2) It removes the fun & exploration aspect.
3) When I use region decisions, it tells me these are unknown regions.

My questions:
1) I wonder if I can use the SetKnownRegions command to fix this?
* I will try to test if it allows region decisions to be placed
* Will it make the map visible when loading the faction saves in future turns? It seems to me this is not happening, with first small testing.

2) Is there any way to set at a larger level? Can I use $Area or $Theater, for example? (SetRegionsAllKnown worked, but it seems to again make all regions known to other factions as well... and would prefer to go short of that, to allow some exploration still.)

3) If no larger levels allowed, is it possible to use the region numbers / UIDs from the VNG/GameData/Regions folder (easier to enter a long list of numbers than type all the names)?

4) Or is some other scripting I can use to fix the Completely Black Map problem?

5) Finally ... is there a way to copy from the save of another nation (in this case, copy from USA to CSA) its known regions?

Thanks for the help.

Tom
Private

Re: [VGN+] - New commands : SetUnknownRegions / SetKnownRegions

Tue Jun 23, 2020 12:32 am

So I managed to script some known regions, typing one by one the region numbers into the script. The script log file says those regions are set to Known, and doesn't give any error messages.

And yet, the entire map is black still, except for a few animated ships on trade routes and the hat/flag markers for region decisions by other countries.

Is there a different script command to fix the visibility issue for this single faction? Other playable factions do not have the blacked-out map issue.

Return to “VIP Modding & AGE Engine Novelties forum”