ltr213
Captain

A Walk-Through Tutorial for New Players

Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:35 pm

In response to repeated requests by NCP fans, I have begun to post a Walk-Through tutorial based on the Austerlitz 1805 scenario.

I will be pointing out concepts and game play mechanisms that first time players often overlook. I promise to go into tedious detail so for experienced NCP players, this might not be your cup of tea.

I'm only posting a portion of the entire Walk-Through at any one time. Over the course of the week, I will be adding new portions as the scenario unfolds.

Please feel free to comment or ask questions so that I can tailor the Walk-Through to cover problem concepts.

Laurence

ird
Sergeant

Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:53 pm

Just had a quick look and I think it's a great idea - I'm forever forgetting certain points in the manual and realising that I should have done such and such..... usually a couple of turns too late!!!
I'll definitely be following your tutorial, hopefully to pick up a few things that I'm not currently doing - unfortunately I'm working in Iceland until Friday so I'm suffering from NCP withdrawal - especially itching to have a go after realising the new patch is out

ltr213
Captain

Walk Through Comments

Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Please feel free to post feedback on the Walk-Through in this thread. I feel like I'm posting in a vacuum.

Is this the kind of information that's helpful or am I just confusing everyone with too much detail?

Laurence

Faenaris
Conscript

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:49 pm

As a total newcomer to Napoleon's Campaigns (and to wargaming in general), I find your Austerlitz tutorial EXTREMELY informative and helpful! I have the manual next to me here and I'm reading everything you posted very carefully so I can understand the basics. I like to go to battle fully prepared, not act like Napoleon had a brainfart and stumble about, causing havoc on my own troops. :)

So, please, do continue the tutorial! It is well written, informative and very neatly structured. I can't wait to see your global strategies! :)

Summed up: Two thumbs up, WAY up!

PhilThib

Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:46 pm

Yes, wonderful work Laurence :coeurs:

Kev_uk
Colonel

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:54 pm

Its a great tutorial for a great game :)
On the surface the games doesnt seem that deep, but this tutorial shows the depth of the game. Great work.

Arnaud_Bouis
Sergeant

Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:34 pm

Excellent tutoriel en effet. Bravo Laurence.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 am

Dear Friend: Is what you describe so capably the same process found in AACW? How do I remove brigades needed elsewhere to increase combat ability when they are all stacked above the div. co. pic? :p apy:

ltr213
Captain

Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:45 am

Yes. The same procedures work in AACW. If I understand your second question properly "How do I remove brigades from Division units?", I put together this graphic that explains how it's done.

[CENTER][ATTACH]1820[/ATTACH][/CENTER]

Please note that I moved the Division into a Force by itself only because I wanted to show the component units more clearly once they were broken down. It is not necessary to do this in the game. You can break down Divisions within the Corps structure just as easily.

Now that Gudin's Division unit counter has been broken down into four (4) separate units (Gudin, two infantry brigades, and an artillery battery), each of these four units may be moved about the game map independent of each other.

This is a handy way to send units that have suffered heavy casualties back to the rear for replacements. Gudin could, for example, send one of his infantry brigades to the rear and then reconstitute his Division with the remaining infantry brigade and artillery battery.

Laurence
Attachments
DivBrkDown.jpg

ltr213
Captain

Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:22 am

I hope everyone has been entertained somewhat by my running commentary over the last couple turns of the Walk-Through.

I'm going to shift gears for a bit and begin to cover some game features that I glossed over in my haste to reach an exciting conclusion to the scenario.

Please feel free to ask questions or offer coments if I am missing something that is of particular importance.

Laurence

paulferris1964
Conscript

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:54 am

As a new player, this is fantastically helpful! Any chance of making it into a .pdf document that we could print and read offline with the game running?

Many, many thanks

Paul

Angiel
Conscript

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:21 am

Thanks for great tutorial. :)

Angiel

Rafiki

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:45 am

paulferris1964 wrote:As a new player, this is fantastically helpful! Any chance of making it into a .pdf document that we could print and read offline with the game running?

Welcome to the forums, Paul Image

Close to the top of each thread, you can find a link (well, dropdown menu, actually) called "Thread tools". Click it and then click "Show printable version", and you should get a age that is well suited for printing. Not quite a pre-formatted pdf, but should still work fairly well, especially since Laurence hasn't gone overboard with humongous wide-screen images :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

ltr213
Captain

Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:07 am

You can also do a simple copy & paste into a Word document as well.

At the moment, a stand alone Strategy Guide for NCP is being developed that will eventually be made available in a .pdf format. Much of the information being presented here is taken directly from that.

I can't give you any time frame on when the Guide will be available. My best guess is that it is still several weeks away.

paulferris1964
Conscript

Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:33 am

Very many thanks, Rafiki (and, of course, Laurence) - printing as I type!

lightsfantastic
Colonel

Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:18 pm

Your Tutorial = my purchase of the Game.
:dada:

Adlertag

Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:54 pm

lightsfantastic wrote:Your Tutorial = my purchase of the Game.
:dada:

A very good answer for a very good job. :hat:
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

ANTONYO
Major

Wed Jan 30, 2008 7:14 pm

Excellent tutorial :) :)

Would be possible a tutorial on the mechanisms of the motor battle? :siffle:

ltr213
Captain

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:31 pm

Yes indeed.

As it happens, a detailed summary on how combat is resolved is being prepared at this moment. I'm looking at posting the summary within a day or two as the Walk-Through unfolds.

Laurence

Angiel
Conscript

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:40 pm

ANTONYO wrote:

Would be possible a tutorial on the mechanisms of the motor battle? :siffle:

Very good idea.It interests also me. :siffle:

Angiel

ANTONYO
Major

Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:45 pm

ltr213 wrote:Yes indeed.

As it happens, a detailed summary on how combat is resolved is being prepared at this moment. I'm looking at posting the summary within a day or two as the Walk-Through unfolds.

Laurence

Thank you very much :coeurs: :coeurs:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:57 pm

[color="Red"][/color]
Laurence: Does this information work the same way with AGE ACW? I like to hope it does; I have having a hard time trying to organize corp/army stacks as you point here for St. Cyr or whomever. How can I remove a unit in a "vertical" stack? I have no problems with horizontal stacks? T :p apy:

ltr213
Captain

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:13 pm

I think... stress think... that it works the same way in AACW as it does in NCP.

I'm not sure what you mean by a vertical stack. If you mean multiple Forces in the same region.... you can click-drag units out of Forces and drop them into other Forces at will if they are in the same region.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:41 pm

Brilliantly done!!! Thanks very much!! L3 :p apy:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Vertical Stacks!

Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:45 pm

ltr213 wrote:I think... stress think... that it works the same way in AACW as it does in NCP.

I'm not sure what you mean by a vertical stack. If you mean multiple Forces in the same region.... you can click-drag units out of Forces and drop them into other Forces at will if they are in the same region.

Laurence: I mean that group of sub-units obtained when you click on a division commander above the commander's pic. I don't know how to manipulate these units. I can remove the division from the corp/army but I am not allowed to manipulate these sub-units which still appear above the Division commander? Best, L3 :p leure: :coeurs:

Duc_d_Heilsberg
Lieutenant

Very goog job

Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:57 pm

Congratulations for your great work, Laurence.

You have a lot of good ideas to help the players. As documentation was a real weakness of Ageod's games, you really add value to NCP (and soon for other games) by writing all your manuals, guides and other related stuff.

Just continue !
[color="DarkGreen"][font="Arial"]
L'art d'être tantôt très audacieux et tantôt très prudent est l'art de réussir.
[/color]Napoléon Bonaparte [/font]

vaalen
AGEod Guard of Honor

Walk through comments

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:16 am

ltr213 wrote:Please feel free to post feedback on the Walk-Through in this thread. I feel like I'm posting in a vacuum.

Is this the kind of information that's helpful or am I just confusing everyone with too much detail?

Laurence

Laurence,

You have my deepest gratitude. While the manual explains how to do things, your walkthrough provides what is missing from the manual. and shows why you would do something, and what the effect is. There is so much to this system, and so often what you can see is like the tip of the iceberg. You have shown us a lot more of the iceberg, and my enjoyment and understanding of this magnificent game has been greatly enhanced by your fine work. The detail is absolutely necessary and you do it so well.

I really feel that every Ageod manual should include a similar walkthrough, done by you.

Thanks again,

vaalen

When you are done with this one, I request that ageod make it available for download so it can be kept with the manual.

ltr213
Captain

Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:52 am

Ah, I see what you mean. Yes indeed. You can remove these units from the Division "container".

Look at Post #9 in this thread for details on how its done.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=7492

Dragoon!
Sergeant

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:16 pm

Great job on the walkthrough! I'm looking forward to the strategy guide when you finish it.

Are you going to add a section about strategic options? I think players would benefit from knowing when to use them and what the costs are.

Also, any notes on postures and roe's? I still don't know what the difference between passive posture and defensive w/retreat roe is! Is the passive 'combat penalty' still there? I coudn't tell you.

Keep up the good work!

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Feb 01, 2008 5:35 pm

RE: #9: Ah! I will try it immediatly. Thank you very much. I will keep your E-mail address handy for future brain failures by me. LOL :p apy:

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”