warrenpeace
Private

Questions

Tue Dec 04, 2007 5:37 pm

1) How do Retreats work. I was playing Waterloo as the French and won a large battle at Charloi but retreated anyhow. I was on attack and normal intenisity. Is this how it is suppossed to work.

2) I continued the campaign and eventually won by victory points. Given that I did not take either of my strategic objectives and had lost most of France, it seemed surprising. The losses were about 130K (me) to 160K (him). How are victory points amassed?

warrenpeace
Private

Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:21 am

3) I'm not sure intelligence is working correctly. If the enemy has multiple stacks in the same area where you have good intelligence you only get detailed info on the "top" stack (Army stack). For the corps you just get the name followed by the number of units. You should be able to cycle through enemy stacks to get detailed intelligence if available.

Pocus

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:15 pm

1. if you manage to inflict much more losses than the enemy, you can retreat while being claimed the victorious side.
2. Perhaps the initial VP tallies are not correctly set. The French should lose if they don't grab most of the objectives I would say.
3. Yes, this is an engine limitation... for now. Although you can rationalize and say you still see the biggest force, in details, and the rest, behind, is only estimated loosely.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Dragoon!
Sergeant

Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:34 pm

since this is a 'questions' thread!

1)On the element details panel, what's the correct way of reading the damages stats? i.e:cuirassier: 3/15 assault..3 hits/~15 men each? or 3 hits/150 men?

2)In the concepts section of the manual, charges and squares are mentioned.
Any info on how these work in the calculations? Looks like the evidence is there..big cavalry losses in most battles, and large numbers of hits taken withdrawing..Just wondering how that worked in the battle calculations.

Pocus

Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:28 am

3 is the number of hits done, 15 the number of cohesion done.

A cavalry element can charge if he succeed in a charge test (if the range is close range), which is Discipline + leader bonus* + leaders abilities under 20.

Leader bonus equals his off rating, if the leader is part of the same unit as the element, or 50% of it if only the stack commander. Leaders Abilities are the various abilities provided by the game.

Forming the square: Same formula as the charge, but you use the leader Def rating if any.

If you take a charge and are not in square, you take 150% damage. If you take a charge and are in square, you take 100% damage and the cavalry 200% damage.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ltr213
Captain

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:15 pm

I'm unclear about the explanation

"A cavalry element can charge if he succeed in a charge test (if the range is close range), which is Discipline + leader bonus* + leaders abilities under 20."

What do you mean by "under 20"?

Pocus

Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:46 pm

Oops, typo, a 20-sided dice I meant.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”