Ian 1963
Conscript

Designing Extra Scenarios

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:17 pm

How easy is it going to be for players to create extra scenarios for this game, in particular the wars of the 1st and 2nd Coalition’s and smaller campaigns such at the Egyptian campaign of 1798=1801 and the abortive French invasion of Ireland which only failed to materialise because storms would not let Hoche’s troops land ?

Also having created such a gorgeous Wargames map of Europe the Mediterranean and the Near East for the early 19th Century. will players be able to create mods to other wars taking place in the same area over a similar time period such as the War of Greek Independence the First Carlist War and the Wars of Catharine the Great against Sweden Poland and Turkey ?

Many thanks
Ian

Clovis

Sat Nov 10, 2007 12:58 pm

I suppose the engine will roughly be the same as in AGEOD AACW: tools for scenario creation will be here, the real limit being graphic for new units and leaders...

Bruit Bleu

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:02 pm

And the french revolution wars !
The First Coalition War, the Vendee War, the Italy Expedition...
The young Republic fighting obscurantism !! :coeurs:

I am far more insterested in these Republic wars rather than Empire ones :)

Pocus

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:08 pm

It is entirely possible to do all of that. The real problems that modders have to face is that our engine is a very detailed one, so you just can't wrap a mod in 2 afternoons, like you could do for a simpler game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

DON
Sergeant

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:29 pm

It would be great if Ageod would market scenario pack expansions for the basic game down the road. I would certainly buy them.

PhilThib

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:48 pm

This is in our plan, so if you have ideas and proposals, we are all ears (and supplying OOB data is a must) :indien:

Ian 1963
Conscript

Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:53 pm

Pocus wrote:It is entirely possible to do all of that. The real problems that modders have to face is that our engine is a very detailed one, so you just can't wrap a mod in 2 afternoons, like you could do for a simpler game.

Point well taken. but then the Total War series I and II are very complicated engines as well and that has not stopped a wealth of mods being done for those games.

Wonder how much interest there would be among those of us who post in this forum in starting work on doing a smallish trail mod scenario such as say the Egyption campaign. I would certainly be up for doing some work on the graphics front.

Ian

DON
Sergeant

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:07 pm

"This is in our plan, so if you have ideas and proposals, we are all ears (and supplying OOB data is a must)"

The Italian campaign comes to mind, along with the Marengo campaign, and "To the Pyramids!", the Egyptian campaign. I would be quite happy to assist in supplying OOB data for these campaigns.

Peek
Conscript

Sat Nov 10, 2007 2:47 pm

Does the map cover Egypt?

Clovis

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:03 pm

Peek wrote:Does the map cover Egypt?

Yes...and Lebanon too :niark:

Pocus

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:05 pm

yes, well the part relevant to the Egyptian campaign anyway.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ian 1963
Conscript

Sat Nov 10, 2007 3:13 pm

DON wrote:"This is in our plan, so if you have ideas and proposals, we are all ears (and supplying OOB data is a must)"

The Italian campaign comes to mind, along with the Marengo campaign, and "To the Pyramids!", the Egyptian campaign. I would be quite happy to assist in supplying OOB data for these campaigns.

Hi Don
Think I could do you the OOB date for the Egyptian Campaign along with most of the unit portraits regiment by regiment both before and after the British and Turks got involved although this will have to wait until after Christmas when I get access to all the books I have had in store for the last two years due to a house move.

I think the Egyptian Campaign would be a good place to start because the forces are small enough to make it feasible to do a whole new lot of nece graphics (just about for each and every regiment) from scratch while the campaign is long enough and with enough variables to for no two games to play out exactly the same way.

Having recently read the relevant chapters of Sir John Fortescue’s “History of the British Army” I can see that there is a lot of potential for using an “event driven engine” to create very accurate potential variations in British and French reinforcements.

Also does anybody yet know that the size of the unit portraits in the game is going to be ? Are the going to be looking at the same 58 wide by 140 pixels high & 110 wide by 58 high in PNG fine format used for “American Civil War” ?

Ian

DON
Sergeant

Sat Nov 10, 2007 4:04 pm

Tnank you Ian. I think this game has a huge potential for scenarios that have rarely, if ever appeared on computer games, certainly on the strategic or operational level.

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:29 pm

Bruit Bleu wrote:And the Vendee War,
I am far more insterested in these Republic wars rather than Empire ones

Same.
DON wrote:It would be great if Ageod would market scenario pack expansions for the basic game down the road. I would certainly buy them.

PhilThib wrote:This is in our plan, so if you have ideas and proposals, we are all ears (and supplying OOB data is a must) :indien:

Waiting for NCP2 with Vendée Revolt (where Napoléon were politically smart not to fight) as pre-purchase DLC? (but again an AGE game I won't play lol?)

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”