arsan

NCP Map nitpicking

Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:11 am

Hi!

Pocus has suggested that I opened a new thread to put the little problems we found on the wonderful map of NCP.
Hopefully some can be fixed before the game is released.
So here it goes... :cwboy:

On the different threads with screenshots some of us had posted some spelling or historical errors on rivers, cities names, areas ownership…
I will summarize the ones found by others Spanish members (Beren and Paillaterie) and me on the Iberian Peninsula map. Hope its alright with them. :innocent:

[font="Arial Black"]Spain[/font]

- “Zamora” area should be Spanish and not Portuguese as shown on screenshot.

- “Compostella” city should be called “Compostela”

- River “Nalo” should be called “Nalon”.

- River “Torm” should be called “Tormes”.

- River “Adaj” should be called “Adaja”.

That’s all (by now :sourcil: ) form the spanish part!

I had read some other remarks form Franciscus about Portugal and GShock about Italy. Hope they re-post them here. :hat:

Thanks and Cheers!

Alias
Conscript

Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:00 pm

[ATTACH]1125[/ATTACH]

Red circle: Which city is this?

Yellow circle: I don't read wery well, is Reno (correct) o Rero?
Attachments
italie5xx6.jpg

caranorn

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:08 pm

On that screenshot "Bolzen" should be either Bozen (German) or Bolzano (Italian). I haven't paid attention to that part of other screenshots, maybe someone could post more extracts from the map just for these kinds of errors. I can generally help with anything German (I expect french and english are not needed).
Marc aka Caran...

morvael
Sergeant

Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:10 pm

I have only seen small part of the Polish territory but here are my propositions:

http://aycu22.webshots.com/image/29901/2004548826005698545_rs.jpg
Lyck should be placed where Lotzen is, and Lotzen next to the lake in the west. It damages the composition of Duchy de Varsovie because the road from Lomza to Augustow should be on the Polish side, while Lyck shouldn't. In fact Lomza should be in the place where Lyck is.
Drweca (province) should be named Ciechanow.
Byalistock should be named Bialystok.

Maybe if I could see more I could offer better hints? Also I would like to spend more time on this as now I'm in hurry so my explanations may not be detailed as they could be.

Rodwen
Corporal

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:16 pm

Sur la carte de la Belgique, l'Escaut est bien trop proche de Charleroi ...

"Combien de temps me reste t-il à vivre ?"
"Quelques heures à peine".
"Tant mieux, je ne verrai pas les Anglais dans Québec". (Montcalm - 1759)

GShock

Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:56 pm

Italy:

Piava -> Piave
Trente -> Trento
Lac de come -> Lago di Como (Manzoni speaks about it)
Lac de Garde -> Lago di Garda
Lac Majeur -> Lago Maggiore
(I can't read the other lake from this SS)
Bolzen -> Bolzano (this name might be ok if u plan to use owner's motherlanguage)
Genoa -> Genova
Padua -> Padova
Gisa -> 99.9% Pisa

Reno, it's a small river coming from the Po (the main italian river)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

Alias
Conscript

Wed Oct 17, 2007 9:45 pm

Ciao GShock,

Gisa -> 99.9% Pisa

Yes, I think so but the place is wrong (other than the name) :siffle:

Reno, it's a small river coming from the Po (the main italian river)

For you, How is written on the map, with the "r" or "n"? :confused:

PhilThib

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:00 pm

As far as possible, I have deecided to keep all the lake names in French (sorry for you Italians)...like if you were "reading" napo's map....could have done the same for regions, but impossible and too complex because of some trivialities in the French 'accents'.... so forget lakes.

I'll do some rework on the map in a month or so, the file to correct it is just too huge (one full night to process) to do it here and there... :bonk:

Beren
Captain

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:08 pm

in a month the game should be in my computer :niark: :P
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

GShock

Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:16 am

Alias wrote:Ciao GShock,

Yes, I think so but the place is wrong (other than the name) :siffle:

Im not that sure but the flag indicating Pisa is a territory flag there's no city. By that point in time there were dozens of cities in that area, all ex-castles, or "signorie" The area around Florence, Pisa and Lucca is full of them...i guess it's a matter of choices but surely Pisa was important enough. They are all, nonetheless extremely close to one another.

Alias wrote:For you, How is written on the map, with the "r" or "n"? :confused:

I couldn't read that at all...i used google earth and several map sites to id that river. It's a very very marginal one.

@Phil...there's an alternative: you either build 2 mapfiles, one with all french names and one with all english names, or you build a single map file either all in english or all in the respective native languages.

One thing i can tell is that "Quel ramo del lago di Como..." is taught at school and it's the beginning of the "Promessi Sposi", the most famous work of one of our top Romantic poets, Manzoni. :)

I think all countries have important spots in their history or culture and no player would really like to see some of those names "wretched".

I second the "native territory language" idea...it adds to the atmosphere.
But then...it's all up to you. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Tutchkov
Civilian

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi, this is my first post on this forum :niark: ...
I'm most interested in the Eastern part of the map, and more exactly within the borders of the great and magnificent empire of the Tsar :sourcil: . Just to check that the French & associates can find out the road to Moscow ... and back :siffle:

Await with great impatience game release. So far what I have seen is just astonishing. I had even to change my keyboard, I slobber too much.
[SIZE="1"]"Ах, на гравюре полустертой,
В один великолепный миг,
Я встретила, Тучков-четвертый,
Ваш нежный лик.
И вашу хрупкую фигуру,
И золотые ордена...
И я, поцеловав гравюру,
Не знала сна..." (М. Цветаева)[/size]

Franciscus

Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:21 pm

Is there any place where we can check the whole map ?. As far as I know, the only portion of Portugal that we can as yet see is the north, adjoining Galiza.
Apart from the "Zamora question", there is a small problem in that part of the map, namely, the region north of Douro River (between this river and the Minho river), is called "Minho". The region "Trás-os-Montes" is to the east of this one; more or less, for simplicity sake, east of the Tamega river.
But I would very much like to see the rest of Portugal...

pailleterie
Captain

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:06 pm

I think that you are spaking about Zamora question not Zaragoza. Zaragoza is another town very far from Portugal

Franciscus

Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:26 pm

pailleterie wrote:I think that you are spaking about Zamora question not Zaragoza. Zaragoza is another town very far from Portugal

I stand corrected. Indeed, it is Zamora, and not Zaragoza :o

Sorry. I will edit it.

Aide-de-Camp
Conscript

Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:26 am

in the map of north italy, the reno river should run from north to south. that one on the ss is looking like the rubicone instead.
anyway, it is a really beautiful map. bravo!!!
ps_where are the fortresses of osoppo and palmanova??? they may be considered more important than piacenza, strategically speaking. as a matter of fact, such defenses (the only effective strongpoints in the north-east of italy to counter the permanent austrian danger from that sector) had their share of action during the campaigns of 1809 and 1814. actually, palmanova still mantains its mighty star-shaped layout. a true rarity in nowdays italy.
cheers,
adriano

Adlertag

Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Aide-de-Camp wrote:ps_where are the fortresses of osoppo and palmanova??? they may be considered more important than piacenza, strategically speaking. as a matter of fact, such defenses (the only effective strongpoints in the north-east of italy to counter the permanent austrian danger from that sector) had their share of action during the campaigns of 1809 and 1814. actually, palmanova still mantains its mighty star-shaped layout. a true rarity in nowdays italy.
cheers,
adriano

Concerning Palmanova, you point something good we've maybe missed.
Indeed, 5th Italo-French division (Général de division Baron Palombini) had its HQ here on August 12th 1813, before offensive began.
It seems this position is a good spot; you are right but I don't know currently if map can be modified, sooner or later.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Aide-de-Camp
Conscript

Sat Oct 20, 2007 6:57 pm

you got that right! they both very good spots indeed. especially, palmanova was the junction between trieste and venice. its might was revealed during the coalition offensive of 1814. despite the fact that, the coalition gathered more than 100.000 men along the whole eastern border, and the french-italian responded with a mere 50.000, the austrian avoided to put up costly sieges on both strongpoints during the campaign. palmanova was the pivot point of the of the italian 3rd corps, 5th and 6th division, under the command of general pino. he was appointed the south-eastern sector, from udine to trieste. osoppo was the strongpoint of the north-eastern sector, from udine to tarvisio, between the 1st and the 2nd corps of grènìer and verdier. after months of bitter fighting the remaining of the kingdom of italy's army retreated on the adige river. both fortress were left hopelessly behind, but still in eugene's hands. only after the signature of the armistice at schiarino, april 19th, 1814, the austrian took possesion of both places. the surrending garrisons walked-out with the honor of the arms!
cheers to everybody,
adriano
ps_am i supporting enough the introduction of such fortresses in the map??? at least one of two...

Adlertag

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:15 pm

Aide-de-Camp wrote:ps_am i supporting enough the introduction of such fortresses in the map??? at least one of two...

Good informations.
Now, decision to change map is not mine, so at least I support you. :)

Aide-de-Camp
Conscript

Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:59 pm

thanks for that. i do believe in accuracy and in following, up-to a point, historical facts in making strategy games. especially, when we talking about napoleonic wars. i hope that such posts can be viewed by the developers.
cheers,
adriano
bologna, italy

runyan99

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:16 am

I'm having a bit of a tough time adjusting my eyes to that bright neon green grass on the new map. It's pretty crazy. Is there any chance of adjusting the color a little bit darker so that it is more similar to Sandra's maps?

Hok
General

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:08 am

Hi,

I'll check this thread about NCP map and I'll try to fix a maximum of problems for the first patch.

I warn you that modifications on areas ownership, areas names and cities names will be easier than modifications on rivers ... :p leure: (rivers are only graphical and the map is very huge)

Hok

arsan

Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:46 am

Thanks Hok!!

Do what you can.
Anyway, even with his little mistakes its the most beautiful and precise map of this kind i´ve seen :coeurs:

PD: and welcome! :hat:

Cheers!

Adlertag

Mon Oct 22, 2007 5:28 pm

runyan99 wrote:I'm having a bit of a tough time adjusting my eyes to that bright neon green grass on the new map. It's pretty crazy. Is there any chance of adjusting the color a little bit darker so that it is more similar to Sandra's maps?

Lighting/color of the map was darker in first versions of the game (and really too much) so it was corrected a bit to obtain the result you see here.
Nothing is perfect but I tend to prefer this one now.

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:23 pm

runyan99 wrote:I'm having a bit of a tough time adjusting my eyes to that bright neon green grass on the new map. It's pretty crazy. Is there any chance of adjusting the color a little bit darker so that it is more similar to Sandra's maps?

+1! Reminds me Europa Universalis 3. :siffle: :8o:
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

arsan

Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:32 pm

CristoFire-Ice wrote:+1! Reminds me Europa Universalis 3. :siffle: :8o:

You must be kidding!!! :nuts:
I also prefer the boardgame looking map of BoA, the best looking map of the three games even if not the most spectacular, omho.
But comparing the gorgeous NCP map with that... "thing" on EU3 is crazy! :tournepas

By the way... that screen is not vanilla BoA :8o:
What is it?? An alpha version?? a modded one??
Never seen it before...

Cheers!

CristoFire-Ice
Brigadier General

Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:45 pm

arsan wrote:You must be kidding!!! :nuts:
I also prefer the boardgame looking map of BoA, the best looking map of the three games even if not the most spectacular, omho.
But comparing the gorgeous NCP map with that... "thing" on EU3 is crazy! :tournepas

Ok, ok! :siffle: I was just kidding :nuts: :bonk: , only to get this kind of reaction, of course :8o:
[color="DarkOrange"]"- Il est à vous ce boulet?" [/color]:grr:

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”