Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Welcome

Mon Oct 15, 2007 11:55 pm

Dear friends,

As you may have seen, the development of Napoleon's Campaigns is going on nicely. Campaigns and scenarios are being tested. ETA is mid-november.

In order for you to easily find more news, screenshots, beta AAR about our next game, this dedicated forum has been created.

Enjoy, please feel free to ask questions to the team and the betas. And don't forget to spread the word on the net, in your wargame club, with your friends, wife, etc. :niark:

Best regards,

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:02 am

I want to know how well the sexy map runs.The BETA AAR has it running as low as 13 FPS.What kind of specs will be needed for this game to run over 30FPS.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:09 am

We did not pay Pocus enough for him to buy a new computer...

:king:

Minimum
PROCESSOR : INTEL PENTIUM OR AMD , 1500 MHZ
RAM: 1024 MB
Graphic Card: 128 MB vRAM, DirectX 9.0c compatible
Sound Card: 16-bits, DirectX 9.0c compatible (DirectMusic compliant)
CD Rom: x 8
Peripherals: Microsoft compatible keyboard and mouse
Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Vista
Hard Disk: 1500 MB free disk space
DirectX: Version 9.0c

Recommended
Processor: Intel Pentium IV or AMD Athlon, 2000 MHz
RAM: 1024 MB
Graphic Card: 128 Mb vRAM, DirectX 9.0c compatible
Sound Card: 16-bits, DirectX 9.0c compatible (DirectMusic compliant)
CD Rom: x 8
Peripherals: Microsoft compatible keyboard and mouse
Operating System: Windows 2000, XP, Vista (1500 Mb of RAM for Vista)
Hard Disk: 1500 MB free disk space
DirectX: Version 9.0c
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Florent

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:39 am

My PC is an Old computer.Pentium 2.4 768 mo. G Force 6. I have no big trouble.

Pocus

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:10 am

Also the game is slowed down in the current testers version because of missing graphics, whose names are constantly loged in a text report file, so this eat on FPS.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

arsan

Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:18 am

Hi

Have you noticed that on the Nobilis press release it says 2 Gb RAM on the recommended settings?? :8o:
It could scare some potential buyers (it did it with me until i read about Florent PC). I´m glad it isn't true.
Maybe the 3D sprites will be more RAM consuming??
It´s no problem with me as i will keep the beautiful 2d counters without any doubt!! :coeurs:

And... its still possible to correct spelling errors of the map? Or its too difficult because the river names are part of the regions .bmp’s??
Don´t know if Pocus noticed, but on the screenshots thread we have found several errors on the peninsular map and GShock has reported some on North Italy on the AAR thread. As he said about Italian spelling, if you need some help i will be glad to check Spanish names :cwboy:

It´s no big thing but it would be a shame that the best looking PC Europe map around had this kind of little errors... :innocent:

Cheers!!

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:15 pm

I also hope the turn times are at a realistic speed.AAWC was unplayable at release due to this,in my view.

pailleterie
Captain

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:19 pm

Arsan I remember read that you need more RAM if you want activate the complete Europe map in a scenario, that is optional and usually you only use a map portion in your game

Beren
Captain

Tue Oct 16, 2007 6:38 pm

How is victory achieved in NC scenarios¿? is there a National morale factor?
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

jhdeerslayer

Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:54 pm

Looking forward to this one guys!

William the Silent
Civilian

Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:16 pm

I'm a Napoleonic enthousiast since the early 70's. So I'm always looking for new things and games, about the Era.
This game looks great and surely attracts me the most out of all the games that are coming up and have come up about napoleonic period.
I love realism.

I also love the artwork.
For the gaming experience I like the grand scale strategy, army building, diplomacy, government, etc. (as most TW fans do).
I'm looking forward to the end product.

I would be very happy with only 2D tactical battle ability in the game on btn, reg, bty level. That would be much more satisfying and realistic than 3D battles that cannot represent the full amount of units and their strength.

Why did wargaming get away from the 2D representation for tactical battle?
Many of us do not have the monster computers to play all that 3D stuff (I'm stuck at RomeTW level).

This game with 2D tactical would be perfect for me.

Questions:
- Does every regiment have its personal uniform features?
- Is that moddable?
- Can generals change sides and join enemy. Or when allies from Napoleon change sides can the generals from these countries choose to stay with the French for example?

I'm exited about your game!

Pocus

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:21 am

2 Gb of RAM is absolutly NOT needed. Don't believe what say the PR on that, I don't even know where they fetched this information. As Pailleterie justly say, by default not all the map is loaded, only the portion used in the scenario, and at most it is slighly lower than in AACW ... so 1 Gb is very comfortable.
For people with some big rigs, there is the option though to load all the map, if it fancy them to scroll toward Egyptia or Norway while they play the 1814 Campaign :)

Morale is an important factor yes.

Turn processing is rather fast, more than in AACW latest patch.

As for historical data, yes they are all moddable. For map discrepancies, you should create a new thread, this is better. Beside that I'm not in charge of this aspect of the project, so I can't manage your remarks on that.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Rafiki

Wed Oct 17, 2007 8:33 am

Pocus wrote:For people with some big rigs, there is the option though to load all the map, if it fancy them to scroll toward Egyptia or Norway while they play the 1814 Campaign :)

I reserve the right to scroll to Norway at any time I like, no matter the cost! Image

;)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Walloc
Lieutenant Colonel

As long as u remember...

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:17 am

Rafiki wrote:I reserve the right to scroll to Norway at any time I like, no matter the cost! Image

;)

As long as u remember that Norway was part of the Vaterland at that time.(until 1814) :nuts:
We will get the run away province back!!! if not for any thing but the oil and the girls. :siffle:

Kind regards,

Rasmus

P.S Great work on hosting different wiki's Rafi.

Rafiki

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:31 am

Walloc wrote:As long as u remember that Norway was part of the Vaterland at that time.(until 1814) :nuts:
We will get the run away province back!!! if not for any thing but the oil and the girls. :siffle:

Meh, not only were you so bad at picking friends that you lost Norway, you conveniently "forgot" to let Norway keep certain parts that actually belonged to Norway, like the Faroe Islands and Iceland, when you had to let it go. Good riddance to poor overlords, I say! ;)
Walloc wrote:P.S Great work on hosting different wiki's Rafi.

:)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

arsan

Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:57 am

Pocus wrote:2 Gb of RAM is absolutly NOT needed. Don't believe what say the PR on that, I don't even know where they fetched this information. As Pailleterie justly say, by default not all the map is loaded, only the portion used in the scenario, and at most it is slighly lower than in AACW ... so 1 Gb is very comfortable.
For people with some big rigs, there is the option though to load all the map, if it fancy them to scroll toward Egyptia or Norway while they play the 1814 Campaign :)

Morale is an important factor yes.

Turn processing is rather fast, more than in AACW latest patch.

As for historical data, yes they are all moddable. For map discrepancies, you should create a new thread, this is better. Beside that I'm not in charge of this aspect of the project, so I can't manage your remarks on that.

Pocus
Thanks for the RAM requisites clarification.
Not using all the map on every scenario seems a very logical solution.

About the map discrepancies I will open a new thread as you suggests.

Cheers!!

Fastheinz
Conscript

Fri Oct 19, 2007 1:03 am

Looks outstanding, cant wait for release! I am looking for any ideas on books that cover this period. Will give me something to do while i wait, heh...

arsan

Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:23 am

Fastheinz wrote:Looks outstanding, cant wait for release! I am looking for any ideas on books that cover this period. Will give me something to do while i wait, heh...

Hi!
The most obvious recommendation is David Chandler's "The Campaigns of Napoleon".
http://www.amazon.com/Campaigns-Napoleon-David-G-Chandler/dp/0025236601

Big and wonderful book with nice maps.
It was my first “serious” book on that topic and it make me a fan of it :coeurs:
I also like a lot John R. Elting "Swords around a throne"

http://www.amazon.com/Swords-Around-Throne-Napoleons-Grande/dp/0306807572/ref=sr_1_1/102-7939830-0300118?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192781641&sr=8-1

Is very readable and entertaining, but much more specialized. It only talks about organization and daily life on Napoleon's Grande Armee.

About Peninsular war i would recommend David Gates "The Spanish Ulcer"
http://www.amazon.com/Spanish-Ulcer-History-Peninsular-War/dp/0306810832/ref=sr_1_1/102-7939830-0300118?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192781815&sr=8-1

So-so maps but great read.

And... about 1812 on Russia i have read an liked a lot Adam Zamoyski "Moscow 1812. Napoleon fatal March"

Cheers!

heckler_rider
Corporal

Rank Insignia

Fri Oct 19, 2007 4:26 pm

Just a nitpick, but the rank 1 star 2 star etc...look to Americanized

Could something else be used (i.e. Marshals baton for 2 star, eagle for French 1 star, etc....)

Anything to give more of an international flair

thanks
Rider....watch out for that droppppppp

heckler_rider
Corporal

Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:07 pm

Book reccomendation (another by Chandler)

Gives some good insight about the individual Marshals' involed

http://www.amazon.com/Napoleons-Marshals-David-Chandler/dp/0304352543/ref=pd_bbs_sr_3/104-8118853-6709568?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1192809846&sr=8-3
Rider....watch out for that droppppppp

Flashman007
Corporal

Fri Oct 19, 2007 7:30 pm

Battlefont.com has a tactical Nappy wargame comming out soon (Histwar).
They have a seven page thread of recommended reading for Nappy fans. Lots of good stuff - some very obscure.

Adlertag

Fri Oct 19, 2007 8:02 pm

heckler_rider wrote:Just a nitpick, but the rank 1 star 2 star etc...look to Americanized

Could something else be used (i.e. Marshals baton for 2 star, eagle for French 1 star, etc....)

Anything to give more of an international flair

thanks

But Marshall for example is honorific, so you can have Marshall with 2* or 3*.
Star system is very convenient for gameplay purpose, associated titles ( even Général de Division or Général de Brigade) are more for flavor.
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”