arsan

Sat Oct 13, 2007 12:17 pm

Hi

Beautiful map!! :coeurs: :coeurs: :coeurs:
And seems mostly correct for the peninsula (obviously, the area i know better).
Congrats!! No doubt its the best PC game map i have seen! :nuts:

Anyway there is some little mistakes on the names of spanish rivers in addition to the ones detected by Beren and Pallatiere.
Maybe they can be corrected before the game is out :innocent:

River "Torm" near Salamanca should be river "Tormes"
River "Adaj" near Medina el Campo should be river "Adaja"

Cheers!!!

FinnN
Conscript

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:09 pm

Looks fantastic - November 17th can't come quickly enough!

Is it just me though or isn't the Bavarian flag upside down?

Have fun
Finn

Franciscus

Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:15 pm

Well, now that you mention it, there is a geographical "mistake" in the peninsula map, namely as to what we see of Portugal:
- The region north of Porto, between rivers Douro and Minho, is "Minho". Tras-os Montes is east of this, more or less east of river Tamega. as already mentioned, Zamora is, and was, a spanish city

(for a moment I had a recollection of the ridiculous position of the Portuguese capital in MTW2, south of Tejo river :fleb: )

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Can we have a screenshot with all the units in 3D?

Pocus

Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:42 pm

Don't be mistaken, there is one 3D sprite per nation on the main map, not one for each uniform in the game, contrary to the 2D mode which is done in more than 600 variations, just for units (and something like 500 custom leaders portraits I think). So one can say that even if pretty, the 3D mode is perhaps less fit for 'grognards', but I will let everyone judge and choose the preferred mode...

Here is a new screen, not exactly what you were looking for though...

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Hell Patrol
Lieutenant

Sun Oct 21, 2007 7:58 pm

:coeurs: I like it...a LOT! It lends a "miniatures" feel to the game.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Henry David Thoreau

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aide-de-Camp
Conscript

Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:29 pm

GShock wrote:The screenie on the replacements makes me itch behind the neck... :)

How does this screen work? Can you give us some insight?

I am a bit ignorant on the history of the period...does Italy have something to do with Napoleon and NPC as well? :nuts:

hey captain (gshock)
you must be kidding me...an italian cannot say such thing!
ciao

Le Tondu
Sergeant

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:26 am

Napoleon was the first King of Italy. Some say that his greatest campaigns and victories were in Italy.

I recommend "The Road To Rivoli", by Martin Boycott-Brown as someplace to begin.
:)

DirkX
Lieutenant

Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:55 am

Le Tondu wrote:Napoleon was the first King of Italy.

not really something i would be proud of :king:

Aide-de-Camp
Conscript

Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:52 pm

DirkX wrote:not really something i would be proud of :king:

hi there,
first of all, napoleon was not the first king of italy. during the past centuries several kings before him put on thier heads the famous iron crown.
secondly, the kingdom of italy, 1804-1815, included only the nothern regions of the peninsula.
then, italians had to wait another fifty years and three wars of indipendence, before another kingdom of italy was established. finally, the savoy family ruled the country from 1861 to 1946.

cheers!

ps_better a bonaparte than any other blue blood family!

DirkX
Lieutenant

Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:06 pm

Aide-de-Camp wrote:ps_better a bonaparte than any other blue blood family!

in general napoleon has a to good reputation in history, thats where my hint was aiming to ^^

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:21 pm

Aide-de-Camp wrote:hi there,
ps_better a bonaparte than any other blue blood family!

If you think millions of your own people dead for no gain,maybe.

Hobbes

Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:58 pm

Rafiki wrote:My only sorrow is that this game will probably detract me from AACW, and I'm not sure how much I look forward to that :(

:D

Well it took me 2 weeks to see this - but I couldn't agree more!

What to do?

Pocus

Wed Oct 24, 2007 7:08 pm

AACW released on April 12, NCP on November 15... This has left you 7 months, is this not enough? :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Rafiki

Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:29 pm

Hobbes wrote:Well it took me 2 weeks to see this - but I couldn't agree more!

What to do?

Plan A is to invent a time dilation device.

(I'll admit, it's not a very realistic plan, but it's the best I've got so far...)
Pocus wrote:AACW released on April 12, NCP on November 15... This has left you 7 months, is this not enough? :)

No? :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Hobbes

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:16 pm

Pocus wrote:AACW released on April 12, NCP on November 15... This has left you 7 months, is this not enough? :)

It takes me 3 months to understand a new game enough to bug you about it Pocus and get into the history (and a lot of the enjoyment during this time is to take this period slow), then another 3 months to start a PBEM after the things I really would like to see changed, changed (as you tend to wonderfully do). Then 1 month to play and abort my first PBEM game then another 4 months to play it properly. Then another 4 months to play it as the other side.

So no. 7 months is not nearly enough. But I will be buying the new game the moment it comes out and starting the process again!

Cheers, Chris

Clovis

Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:49 pm

Not sure about that. AACW and NCP will have different strengths and weaknesses.

AACW has a strategic part with the Great Campaigns which will be lacking in NCP. On the contrary, the latter will have more shorter scenarios well suited for PBEM.

I suspect too NCP will be quickly more balanced when AACW has still to come to age for this concern. On the contrary, AACW will keep the feeling to lead a Nation in a total war and to have to build anything from scratch, whereas NCP will start with fully formed and exerienced forces in most cases.

I believe these two fine games should be complementary for the next months and I envision with some delectation to keep my modding effort for AACW but playing for fun shorter NCP games in PBEM.

And as these 2 games are based on the same engine, the imrovments for NCP will certainly be retroffited in AACW.

And the European map should give some interesting essays on other periods...

DirkX
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:57 pm

Clovis wrote:Not sure about that. AACW and NCP will have different strengths and weaknesses.

AACW has a strategic part with the Great Campaigns which will be lacking in NCP. On the contrary, the latter will have more shorter scenarios well suited for PBEM.

thats the reason why i dont buy NCP yet, i dont like the limitation of the NCP-campaigns, i prefer large strategy (like in AACW), so NCP is scheduled to buy for me maybe somehwen in 2008.

Adlertag

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:08 pm

DirkX wrote:thats the reason why i dont buy NCP yet, i dont like the limitation of the NCP-campaigns, i prefer large strategy (like in AACW), so NCP is scheduled to buy for me maybe somehwen in 2008.

Currently, in NCP, you have a sort of "local grand campaign" with the Peninsular war , 1808-1814 with weekly turns...

But work to configure an overall Grand Campaign on the entire European map and for the time period 1804-1815 is immense, ACW is on a smaller period with only two main sides and so it was easier to prepare.
And think that accurate OOBs of period 1805-1815 are more difficult to find than those of ACW (and furthermore no real photos to help during Napoleonic wars).
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Clovis

Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:17 pm

DirkX wrote:thats the reason why i dont buy NCP yet, i dont like the limitation of the NCP-campaigns, i prefer large strategy (like in AACW), so NCP is scheduled to buy for me maybe somehwen in 2008.

1812 scenario should be largely sufficient for strategic needs too.

Sol Invictus

Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:30 pm

Isn't there also an 1806-07 Campaign? That would be fairly extensive.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Adlertag

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:25 pm

Sol Invictus wrote:Isn't there also an 1806-07 Campaign? That would be fairly extensive.

Currently, 1806-1807 campaign is cut in two sparate scenarios , first covers Prussian Campaign until Iena-Auerstadt and the second the Campaign in Poland, after Eylau until Friedland.
A single grand scenario is possible but during the transition between the 2 campaigns, Napoleon took his winter quarters (at Warsaw in december 1806-january 1807) so just before Eylau there isn't intense activity (military speaking) and it is not (maybe) very attractive in terms of gameplay.
That's the reason to cut into 2 scenarios.
But changes are still possible...

Sol Invictus

Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:46 pm

I see, thanks.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

DirkX
Lieutenant

Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:24 am

Adlertag wrote:Currently, in NCP, you have a sort of "local grand campaign" with the Peninsular war , 1808-1814 with weekly turns...

But work to configure an overall Grand Campaign on the entire European map and for the time period 1804-1815 is immense, ACW is on a smaller period with only two main sides and so it was easier to prepare.
And think that accurate OOBs of period 1805-1815 are more difficult to find than those of ACW (and furthermore no real photos to help during Napoleonic wars).

i fully understand this and accept it of course, its just not my "number-1- flavor-of-strategy-games" :)
its more like number-2 :leprechau

Adlertag

Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:56 pm

DirkX wrote:i fully understand this and accept it of course, its just not my "number-1- flavor-of-strategy-games" :)
its more like number-2 :leprechau

Try your number 2 option, I hope you'll find pleasure to play that sort of game even so. :)

Kwik E Mart
Private

Any naval screenies?

Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:26 pm

Lord Nelson, perhaps?

Adam the VIth
Lieutenant

Wed Oct 31, 2007 6:51 pm

Interesting -- I was also hoping for a Napoleonic version of AACW. I realize the game has not been released yet, so pardon me for asking, but: 1) are there plans to create a Grand Campaign? @1798-1815? I realize the long "down times" in the real era would be hard to recreate and the game would likely get quite ahistorical.....but that's fine by me.

2) If not, given what is currently known, could those interested work a mod? I have never modded in AGEOD games, but in many others.

Pocus

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:29 am

No GC for now, not until Napoleon 2 I think (which can only be done if this one sell well). Perhaps a major modding work would be ok to make a GC, after all with existing rules like Foreign Entry, area blocking which can be lifted, changes of units nationality and such this is feasible... but the team prefer to get the new VGN modules (Diplomacy and production) before doing it.

Adam the VIth
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:16 am

Pocus wrote:No GC for now, not until Napoleon 2 I think (which can only be done if this one sell well). Perhaps a major modding work would be ok to make a GC, after all with existing rules like Foreign Entry, area blocking which can be lifted, changes of units nationality and such this is feasible... but the team prefer to get the new VGN modules (Diplomacy and production) before doing it.

Pocus knows best -- sounds good to me. I await yet another outstanding game !

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”