Pocus

Napoleon's Campaigns: in-game screenshots

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:24 pm

First Salvo!

Aperitif screenshot, or 'please do enter the game!'

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:26 pm

Partial view of the French (and allies) staging area, poised to strike at mother Russia:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:29 pm

A cuirassier division among others, part of the numerous Russian army. The space to conquer is rather huge. A logistician challenge if there is one.

Pocus

Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:30 pm

Southern shot of Russia. Garrisons everywhere.

Beren
Captain

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:19 pm

No provinces borders? and national borders? :)

Great images ;)
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

morvael
Sergeant

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:22 pm

It would be wonderful to mod the game to play the 1831 Polish-Russian war using the AGEOD's engine...

As for the screens I can only say I'm in heaven :) Although ACW by AGEOD is great game the topic covered is not of my liking, but this - I can't wait any longer!

Lafrite

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:26 pm

Vivement mi novembre :king:

Rafiki

Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:56 pm

My only sorrow is that this game will probably detract me from AACW, and I'm not sure how much I look forward to that :(

:D
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Sol Invictus

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:32 pm

OK, I'm sold. Who am I kidding, I was sold as soon as the game was announced. Excellent screens Pocus. I really like the new artistic look better than the previous games. The borders could be a bit more defined, but damn this looks good. :hat:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

Sir John Moore
Corporal

Wed Oct 03, 2007 9:38 pm

Excellent... Awainting unpatience :sourcil:

runyan99

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:11 pm

Looks very nice.

I notice the new options under the posture buttons...

Franciscus

Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:42 pm

Where can we pre-order it ? :siffle:

Sol Invictus

Thu Oct 04, 2007 2:30 pm

Yes, the new options under the Posture buttons are interesting. Maybe Pocus could elaborate. :sourcil:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aryaman

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:08 pm

I see a regiment at full strength, with almost 1.400 men, I guess we are going to have the same discussion on manpower and overbloated formations like in AACW?
I see there is a small number along the green dots, showing how many units are in the stack?
As for the map, I love it, type of terrain is much more clear, a bonus for playing. also stacks are nicely placed within regions. BTW Regions and cities apparently share the same name, I like that, in AACW sometimes I was misled by the name of the region being different from that of the city inside.
I love AACW but I guess I will cease to play it as soon as I get my hands on NC!

tyrex
Colonel

Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:18 pm

Superb. I won't miss this game as Napoleon is a national glory. It's also one of my favourite period.

But Pocus... is not the blue of French Legere a bit dull? All pictures I have of such troops made them appears a bit darker than the one your screenshot is

ou en francais ce sera plus facile..lol Pocus il me semble que ton Leger est d'un bleu trop clair. Les illustrations que j'ai montre que les uniformes francais etaient bien plus fonces.

Sol Invictus

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:05 pm

Agreed, a unit with the full compliment of soldiers should be a very rare sight. I think that units should start to steadily loose manpower through attrition as soon as the campaign starts.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

aryaman

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:46 pm

I also notice that Augereau Corps has no cavalry attached, that makes me wander, is there any combined arms bonus in the game, so that players get advantage creating mixed formations of cavalry, infantry and artillery?

Pocus

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:48 pm

You lose troops as soon as you move, but we are a bit reluctant to impact attrition to the historical level. This is still debated. Do you really want to lose 75% of your men just marching, in normally supplied conditions (I'm not even speaking of the Russian Campaign there!).

But rest assured, you will lose more men by attrition than in ACW :king:

The 4 small buttons? I don't see them ;)

Hell Patrol
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 04, 2007 5:57 pm

4 buttons?, that's easy as they are color coded:red=attack/aggressive-Double Line, Orange=attack/normal-Line, Blue=evasive/skirmish? and green=Forced March...correct me if i'm wrong :sourcil: :innocent:

GShock

Thu Oct 04, 2007 6:03 pm

when is it coming????? :)

berni67
Conscript

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:35 pm

Ca va être long d'attendre

bill
Sergeant

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:14 pm

Pocus wrote:You lose troops as soon as you move, but we are a bit reluctant to impact attrition to the historical level. This is still debated.

why not impact attrition to the historical level ?????

Pocus wrote:Do you really want to lose 75% of your men just marching, in normally supplied conditions (I'm not even speaking of the Russian Campaign there!).

75% is not a regular figure for attrition, but along the logistic line there are garison

pailleterie
Captain

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Excellents screens.
could you show us some spanish map screens please?

Sir John Moore
Corporal

Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:58 pm

Same request than Pailleterie....could be possible some spanish screen ? Thanks in advance

Le Tondu
Sergeant

Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:52 pm

Fantastic.

Is there a rough (not written in stone) estimate about how long it might be before we can give AGEod some of our money for this game?

:)

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:02 am

I think I actually prefer this map style to previous AGOED maps.The city's look more natural and the provinces are more efficient in showing the terrain type.

Hell Patrol
Lieutenant

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:42 am

Le Tondu wrote:Fantastic.

Is there a rough (not written in stone) estimate about how long it might be before we can give AGEod some of our money for this game?

:)
Yes, and will the hardcopy be ready at release? I am now limited with my dd capacity with Satellite :fleb: .

Walloc
Lieutenant Colonel

Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:48 am

Pocus wrote:You lose troops as soon as you move, but we are a bit reluctant to impact attrition to the historical level. This is still debated. Do you really want to lose 75% of your men just marching, in normally supplied conditions (I'm not even speaking of the Russian Campaign there!).

But rest assured, you will lose more men by attrition than in ACW :king:

I'd have to say im with Bill here. I certainly understand a certain nervousness from game designers side about playbility of the game and the fun factor.

That said especially the 1812-1814 campaigns and the Spain ones was to large degree won/lost exactly cuz of attrition.

I mean the whole Russian strategy of trading space/land for time rely on the far reaching march attrition / strategic consumption. The Grand Arme lost more troops on the way in to Borodino, than losing on the retreat from Moscow too attrition. Wont that strategy become less effective / void if dont have historic levels of strategic consumption. No way the russian army could or should initially take major battles with the Grand Arme. It would be crushed by the sheer numbers. With less attrition wont u by the nature of it, tip the scale in french favor?

Again in 1813. Yes Napoleon stamped 500k+ troops out of nothing for the fall campaign, but it was in large young and unfed troops. Running Saxony thin in responce to the allied Trachenberg Treaty strategy. Those 500k dwindled very fast to a much more "manageble" numbers helping in giving the allied a more markedly numerical superiority. While the attrition/strategic consumption wasnt per say a idea in the Trachenberg strategy it non less was very much a product of it. The "casulties" to the french from strategic consumption far out weighted the actual combat casulties in the initial battles. By Leipzig after only 8 weeks of campaigning the Grand Arme was down too around 200k troops and by far most of those casulties came from strategic consumption. Scott Bowden's 1813 campaign books gives an excellent insight into that. Cant say i know what number of weeks or possibly days, turns are in NCP, but if any thing like AACW thats in the neighbohood of 300k men lost in 4 turns. Far majority to strategic consumption. Not that i cant alrdy hear the outcry from: Hey, where has my army gone. i just lost 60.000+ men in the last turn, just from "marching"!!!

My question/concern is how do u get those campaigns if included in the game to have a historic result/feel/option of strategy if attrition isnt at historic level since IMHO it was the most significant factor in those campaigns or rather the disparity of attrition/ strategic consumption of the sides. The later and later u get in the periode the more prone the french are to strategic consumption and the allied in general less than earlier. Younger and younger and less and less well fed troops. U can say its a factor into or reason of depending on point of view in the decline in french capability compared to earlier in the periode. A tip in balance through out the periode. The initial French advantage of forced and long march far out pacing the allies giving a much higher degree of manuver, becomes a disadvantage in that the later on younger troops cant sustain it and especially not when not fed properbly.

Would an option for historic levels of attrition be an option to include in the game Pocus?
So people can play historic or more "balanced" attrition. Tho i understand getting the right balance in scn's all of a sudden gets twice as hard/much work.

bill wrote:/5% is not a regular figure for attrition, but along the logistic line there are garison

75% isnt a unnatural figur in several campaigns.

aryaman wrote:I see a regiment at full strength, with almost 1.400 men, I guess we are going to have the same discussion on manpower and overbloated formations like in AACW?
I see there is a small number along the green dots, showing how many units are in the stack?
As for the map, I love it, type of terrain is much more clear, a bonus for playing. also stacks are nicely placed within regions. BTW Regions and cities apparently share the same name, I like that, in AACW sometimes I was misled by the name of the region being different from that of the city inside.
I love AACW but I guess I will cease to play it as soon as I get my hands on NC!

Assuming it is indeed regiments and not btn's and its at the start of a campaign i see no problem. Actually the opposite. A typical 4 btn french regiment at start of 1812 campaign had twice that number of troops in it. Heck many prussian regiments in the fall 1813 campaign had 4000 men in its 4btn regiments. U dont really see any 4 btn regiments with less than 3200 at the start of the campaign. Even most, non Silesian, 4 btn landwehr regiments had 3000-3200 men in it.

Yes through out the napoleonic era regiment strength varied and ofcourse also from country to country, but to me, 1400 men doesnt seem overbloated to me for most regiments through out the periode. Especially if at the start of a campaign. Yes u can also find 300 men regiments at end or middle of the campaigns, so it indeed vary alot. Any how from my many studies of OOBs especially in the later periode in non Spain. 1400 men is in no way a reach and actually pretty low in many cases.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Sol Invictus

Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:28 am

I imagine that most who play these games are amateur historians and wouldn't mind historical rates of strategic wastage and attrition at all. In fact, I would expect the vast majority to appreciate the difficult problem of maintaining an army in effective fighting order. I also agree that the fighting in Spain and Russia would be askew if attrition was not a huge factor.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

flintlock
Captain

Looking Good

Fri Oct 05, 2007 4:51 am

These latest screenshots look great. I may still prefer Sandra's art style (just a personal preference), but these screens have their own unique style which is also quite good. Who says change can't be a good thing! :)

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”