Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

NOBILIS announces "Napoleon's campaigns" by AGEod

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:31 am

[font="Trebuchet MS"][CENTER]Nobilis announces:
[SIZE="5"]NAPOLEON’S CAMPAIGNS[/size]

Lyon, June 20th 2007. Nobilis is proud to present its new historical wargame, “Napoleon’s Campaigns”, with a unique concept from the original
designer of Europa Universalis, Pax Romana, Great Invasions, Birth of America
& American Civil War.

Bring back to life the greatest battles and write your own History.

[/CENTER]

Nobilis is the world-wide publisher of “Napoleon’s Campaigns”.

This PC title is due for Q4 2007.
* Mock-up packaging

GENERAL INFORMATION

Genre: Turn based strategy game
Format: PC
Developer: AGEOD
Publisher: Nobilis
Release date: Q4 2007
RRP: 39,99€
PEGI: 3+ (TBC)

NOBILIS CONTACTS

Nobilis - 46-48 Chemin de la Bruyère – 69570 Dardilly - http://www.nobilis-france.com
Audrey Settelen – Junior Product manager – asettelen@group-nobilis.com
Christine Pestel – Senior Product manager – cpestel@group-nobilis.com
Christelle Chandavoine – International Sales Manager – cchandavoine@group-nobilis.com
Corinne Haudot – International Sales Manager – chaudot@group-nobilis.com

About Nobilis:
Nobilis Group, founded in Lyon in 2001, is specialized in the publication and distribution of video games, video game accessories and interactive DVD. Nobilis produces multi-platform games for PC, XboxTM, PlayStation®2, PSPTM, GameCubeTM, Nintendo DSTM, Game Boy®Advance and interactive DVD.
Nobilis has distribution subsidiaries in France (Nobilis France in Lyon), Spain and Portugal (Nobilis Iberica in Madrid), Belgium, Holland and Luxembourg (Nobilis Benelux) and Italy (Rome).
Some of the most prominent partners that feature in Nobilis’ catalogue are 1C Company, Agetec, Akella, Aspyr, Buka, Capcom, Cenega, City Interactive, Enlight Software, Focus, Frogwares, JoWood, Lago, Lighthouse, RTL, Zuxxez...
Nobilis Publishing’ own games include “Destination: Treasure Island” (PC), “The Secrets of Da Vinci™: The forbidden Manuscript (PC), “The Secrets of Atlantis™: the Sacred Legacy (PC), “Mountain Bike Adrenaline featuring Salomon™” (PlayStation®2), “Moto Racer 3 Gold Edition™” (PC), “Coffee Break™” (PC), “Coffee Break™2” (PC), “Wild Water Adrenaline featuring Salomon™” (PlayStation®2), …
Nobilis is as well a producer and distributor for console accessories by the intermediary of its brand Subsonic for platforms such as: Xbox 360™, PlayStation®2, PlayStation®3, Nintendo Wii™, GameCube™, PSP™ and Nintendo DS™.

About Ageod
AGEOD is an established independent French publishing company, founded in 2005 by a few French games industry veterans (including Philippe THIBAUT, designer of historical strategy award-winning games Europa Universalis™, Pax Romana™ , Great Invasions™, Birth of America™ and American Civil War™), based in Meylan, France (in the French Alps). Voted Developer of the Year by players on the Wargamer website in 2006 for our Birth of America game. Several new projects are under preparation for the coming months, and we expect most to be as successful as our last two titles, Birth of America™ and American Civil War™. AGEOD's first emphasis is placed on historical strategy games with original and innovative features. For more information, visit the AGEOD website at http://www.ageod.com[/font]
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Anguille

Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:49 am

Ha...i was right!

Yeeepeeee :cwboy:

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:07 am

"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Gresbeck
Sergeant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:17 am

:8o: Is this game based upon AGE's engine,or is it a different design?

Pocus

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:24 am

what would you prefer and why?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Anguille

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:25 am

One big question is...how will the battles be handled considering how important they were at that time?

runyan99

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:34 am

Pocus wrote:what would you prefer and why?

I'd prefer AGEOD's game engine, because turn based WEGO is the best design in town.

Pocus

Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:54 am

Napoleon's Campaigns is an evolution of the AGE engine, with the pros and cons associated with that. The pros being for example that you know you get a very solid engine with a lot of details already fine tuned. The cons are that you won't get things like a tactical engine, a map with hexes and such. So speaking of battles, you will get a reworked battle reports but still close in spirit to the AACW one. We hope to provide you one more neat thing into the report though: a 'pictorial' log of all actions undertaken by your units during combat.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Anguille

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:11 am

That's fine with me...if i want just the battles i'll play "Waterloo" or "Imperial Glory"...

However, in that case, i'd like to say that a solid diplomatic engine would be necessary.

PhilThib

Thu Jun 21, 2007 8:25 am

Warning !!
There will be some description of the game's content in the coming weeks here (we have to tease you a bit :fleb: !!)...but something you have to know is that the game covers "Campaigns"....it will handle each 'war' in a separate way, à la BOA, with almost no diplomacy except by events...

In essence, due to various obligations we have (and development constraints), the game will be more operationnal than grand-strategic, so forget (for the time being) diplomacy, constructions, technology or whatever else you could be dreaming on...not now :p leure:

The full Napoleonic game with everything in it will come in a second step, once we have developed the key (and original) points of the diplomatic engine (among other things)...and with much more content too :sourcil:

Cat Lord

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:06 am

Un bon Wargame Operationel sur les guerres Napoléoniennes, ca manque de toute facon...

Et ben, entre ca, Vainglory of Nations et le nouveau pack BoA vous allez etre tres occuppés ! :)

Bonne chance a vous !

Cat

Gresbeck
Sergeant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:25 am

runyan99 wrote:I'd prefer AGEOD's game engine, because turn based WEGO is the best design in town.

Agreed, at least as far as it concerns operational-strategic games. AGE engine has proved to work well, at least for the XVIII-XIX century period, and I see no reason to implement (and to learn) a new system.
BTW, it's very very difficult to insert tactical battles in an operational scale game: it gives me always a feeling to be playing two different games with no links between them. I wouldn't recommend it. Just my opinion.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:53 am

woot !! Génial, ça va être super ça...

Hinkel
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:09 am

Yeeaaah.. I was right, too! :niark:

Thats absolutly beautiful and the maps looks great so far. Seems more realistic then ACW.

@ Ageod
You can play as every nation, right? (Or maybe the 8 great nations).
[CENTER]The Grand Campaign project[/CENTER]
[font="Georgia"][CENTER]Commander-in-chief of the Confederate forces in the east[/CENTER][/font]
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:16 am

He ?

Where did you see the map ? I can't see no map anywhere ?

Lasse
Sergeant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:17 am

OMG that's fantastic! and what a huge map! looks beautifull!

What have you in mind with the "first" and "second" step? something like BOA and BOA Gold?

You guys are simply brilliant :coeurs:

PhilThib

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:49 am

Watch our nice celtic dwarf Korrigan for more news and teasing then :siffle:

To be clear, the second step will be extremely ambitious with lots of extra stuff and it will really be Napoleon's whole life... a more drastic step than between our two versions of BOA....be patient :indien:

Florent

Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:54 am

Superbe!! C'est bien de commencer avec les campagnes individuelles. L'ordre de bataille est déjà fait et les points de victoire déterminés à l'avance. Une campagne entière de 1805 à 1815 doit être complexe à mettre en oeuvre.

Florent

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:00 am

Le niveau opérationnel est le niveau qui permet les manoeuvres napoléonniennes, les marches rapides etc... J' imagine mal la manoeuvre de Ulm et d'autres sur une ou deux zones.

LAVA
Sergeant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:13 am

Magnificant!

La carte est absolument belle.

C'est un projet gigantesque qui capturera l'imagination de wargamers dans le monde.

Les vœux de vous le meilleur de chance.

Vive AEGOD!

Ray (aka LAVA)

DON
Sergeant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:21 am

Having made the best strategic level games, board or computer, on the American Revolution and the American Civil War, I have no doubt that you will do justice to the campaigns of Napoleon.

Lafrite

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:25 am

[SIZE="1"]Bhou c'est nul, j'voulais Ageod Pax Romana moi[/size] :p apy:

Mais bon, quand on voit le terrain de jeu, un seul mot : grandiose :coeurs:

J'imagine la quantité d'unités que le pauvre graphiste va devoir se taper, ca a du motiver Sandra :niark:

Si après ça Ageod n'est pas connu de l'Atlantique à l'Oural.. :nuts:

jimkehn
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:39 am

[color="Red"]!!)...but something you have to know is that the game covers "Campaigns"....it will handle each 'war' in a separate way, à la BOA, with almost no diplomacy except by events...[/color]

Phillipe...are you saying that each campaign (Austrian Campaign, Iberian Campaign, Russia etc) are stand alone scenarios, and the results of the Austrian campaign do not effect the Russian, for example? Or are you saying it is all one scenario 1805-1815, just that we are not able to negotiate a separate peace with Prussia while bonking Austria. Is it that we take whatever peace, declarations of war, etc., we get through the events?

[color="red"]what would you prefer and why?[/color]

Pocus I prefer sticking with the AGE engine. It works. It is built. And you can modify it to fit the period.

Sure is a pretty map.

PhilThib

Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Yes, no negotiations. And stand alone campaigns with event. But you may "influence" some outcome with a system very similar to the Foreign Entry of AACW.

For instance in 1805, the Coalition player may earn enough points to have Prussia join the fray...or the French in reverse may "discourage" it...and so on... :indien:

Jayavarman
Lieutenant

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:33 pm

PhilThib wrote:Warning !!
There will be some description of the game's content in the coming weeks here (we have to tease you a bit :fleb: !!)...but something you have to know is that the game covers "Campaigns"....it will handle each 'war' in a separate way, à la BOA, with almost no diplomacy except by events...

In essence, due to various obligations we have (and development constraints), the game will be more operationnal than grand-strategic, so forget (for the time being) diplomacy, constructions, technology or whatever else you could be dreaming on...not now :p leure:

The full Napoleonic game with everything in it will come in a second step, once we have developed the key (and original) points of the diplomatic engine (among other things)...and with much more content too :sourcil:

Sounds like an excellent and careful plan to me. :)
"Sad fragility of human things! What riches and treasures of art will remain forever buried beneath these ruins; how many distinguished men - artists, sovereigns, and warriors - are now forgotten!"

"The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."

tc237
Colonel

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:49 pm

Jayavarman wrote:Sounds like an excellent and careful plan to me. :)

I'll second this. I like the thinking.

To me it all seems to be building towards a larger game by releasing smaller modules.
Eventually the modules will be put together to form everyone's dream monster game.
Each module is tested, bugs are worked out, new concepts implemented, the mistakes in the map are fixed, etc... before the next step.

IMO, it seems easier and more customer friendly to do it this way, in small steps, then to release a monster game that has many problems.

Pocus

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:54 pm

It has been said that perfection is achieved when you can't remove anything from something, so often more is less... And too complex games are not necessarly better.

But, for the sake of discussing, and if, by some big chances, you were right (on your rather weird idea of building the bricks of a complex system ;) ), what would be the subject of this 'monster' game?

Lannes
Major

Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:55 pm

j'en bave déjà, mon pauvre clavier :niark:

Peever
Conscript

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:44 pm

Pocus wrote:...what would be the subject of this 'monster' game?

My guess would be that the 'monster' game is a game about game development. A strategy game about making a strategy game would be the ultimate game. Birth of America, American Civil War, Great Invasions, and Napoleon's Campaigns, are all games with the same underlying principles; managing people, resources, and time in the most efficient way to complete a grand objective. Are these the same principles used in game development? :niark:

I envision the game map will be the AGEOD office and instead of moving armies around attacking each other we will move staff around and attack the coffee machine and the pastries! :D

Fouche
Captain

"Vive l'Empereur!"

Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:54 pm

:coeurs: YES...oh Yes...
For the time being an operational game would be fine with me...

In honor of this merry situation I offer the following link sent to me by a friend...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/2007-06-18-waterloo_N.htm

Many thanks.... :coeurs:

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”