ajarnlance
General of the Army

Grand Campaign for NCP2...

Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:37 pm

How many people would like to see a long Grand Campaign for NCP2?? For example 1805 to 1815?? Or 1789 - ?? When you look at the grand scale AGEOD has successfully achieved with EAW (a full European war along with the Middle East and other countries) it encourages me that it might now be possible to expand on the excellent NCP and allow for longer campaigns and a truly grand scale that includes all of Europe and Russia plus Egypt... Seems to me that this would involve:
1) Beefing up diplomacy.
2) Changing from 7-day turns to 15-day turns as in CW2 and EAW.
3) Adding more historical events.
4) Adding Napoleonic decision cards.
5) Using a huge map with all of Europe + Russia + parts of North Africa + off map boxes for other important regions (the Americas/ India etc..).

What would people like to see in NCP2??

We can dream right... the beautiful EAW map would look awesome for NCP2....
Dream, dream, dream... it is the 200th anniversary of Waterloo next June 2015.... wouldn't that be great timing? ;)
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:55 pm

ajarnlance wrote:How many people would like to see a long Grand Campaign for NCP2?? For example 1805 to 1815?? Or 1789 - ?? When you look at the grand scale AGEOD has successfully achieved with EAW (a full European war along with the Middle East and other countries) it encourages me that it might now be possible to expand on the excellent NCP and allow for longer campaigns and a truly grand scale that includes all of Europe and Russia plus Egypt... Seems to me that this would involve:
1) Beefing up diplomacy.
5) Using a huge map with all of Europe + Russia + parts of North Africa + off map boxes for other important regions (the Americas/ India etc..).

Dream, dream, dream... it is the 200th anniversary of Waterloo next June 2015.... wouldn't that be great timing? ;)

I would want all these things! And I would like the option to recruit troops, like we have in AJE and PoN. In this way, you could begin a campaign at several start dates (e.g. 1789, 92, 96, 1800, 05, 06, 07, 09, 12, 13, 14) with historical OoBs intact, but one could then build on these as one sees fit as the campaign enfolds along historical, or ahistorical lines depending on player achievements. NCP2 with a feel like PoN/EAW would be awesome, even if not with the world-wide scale.

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:39 pm

MarshalJean wrote:I would want all these things! And I would like the option to recruit troops, like we have in AJE and PoN. In this way, you could begin a campaign at several start dates (e.g. 1789, 92, 96, 1800, 05, 06, 07, 09, 12, 13, 14) with historical OoBs intact, but one could then build on these as one sees fit as the campaign enfolds along historical, or ahistorical lines depending on player achievements. NCP2 with a feel like PoN/EAW would be awesome, even if not with the world-wide scale.

I agree, recruitment would be a must have. Also there would need to be blockade boxes like in CW2 because of Napoleons 'continental system' and the British navy's ability to control the seas. There is so much potential now to turn NCP2 into a truly grand strategic game played out over a decade with the chance to change history! I am drooling at the prospect of this! Hopefully we will hear something concrete from AGEOD by the end of the year! AGEOD games continue to go from strength to strength! The best war games company on the planet IMHO!!
"I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union... and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation." Robert E. Lee (1807-1870)

Check out my 'To End All Wars' AAR: http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38262-The-Kaiser-report-the-CP-side-of-the-war-against-Jinx-and-PJL

Taciturn Scot
Sergeant

Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:36 am

Well, first up, I would like to have two shorter campaigns to play, 1812 through to the end of the war, whenever that might be, and from 1805 through to 1807. Both of these should have weekly turns so that I feel sufficiently in control of my forces and not be able to influence events for 2 weeks at a time. I don't think that two week turns are such a good thing. IMO, 1 week is best.

A grand campaign would be fun to have but I'm not sure I would want to play it as I doubt the AI would be able to do it very well unless it was scripted to follow the historical path. As for PBEM, I expect to start playing against other players very soon but I doubt I'd be able to commit to a monster like that. Obviously, some would though ;)

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:18 pm

How many people actually finished the Peninsula campaign in NCP ?

About 3 I would guess.

How many people have actually done all 1600 or so turns of PON?

I think these monster games are madness and have something of the vanity project from the developers view.

Ebbingford

Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:58 pm

Make that at least 4 to have finished the Peninsular camapaign if you include me :cool:
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:03 pm

You were included. Let's hunt down the others. :)

ERISS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:38 pm

Taillebois wrote:How many people have actually done all 1600 or so turns of PON?
I think these monster games are madness and have something of the vanity project from the developers view.

I prefer a monster game that I hope to see the end someday,
that the so many normal games I played few turns, only, and never cared about the end.
Example, I love UFO:Aftershock: it's very long, but entertaining (for me, I know it can be boring for others), and I don't care when I'll see the end of my play (however I hope to see it someday). (I finished it only one time)
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?20106-French-UFO-Aftershock

MarshalJean
Lieutenant

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:16 pm

Honestly, from a developers/sales point of view, I'm not sure the question, "How many people actually finish super long campaigns?" is the right question. From a sales standpoint, it doesn't matter. The better question for devs is, "How many people want the option (no matter how theoretical it may end up being) to play a really long and complex campaign because such a game has so much promise?" Personally, I think it is a major selling point. A lot of people, I think, will skip a game if they feel like too much of the era/conflict is left out. Even if the part utilized in the game is very historical and well done (as NCP was), the unused portion screams out to a potential buyer, "Yeah, but there's so much you COULD be enjoying!" Psychologically, this is important for a buyer, whether or not he/she ever takes advantage of it. I think NCP would have sold more copies if it had included a grand campaign, albeit a long one that few would have finished. And, at least regarding this genre, we're talking Napoleonics! It's a topic with such a huge fan base, interested in everything from the politics of the era to the details of uniforms, that it would be hard to overkill the project.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

ajarnlance
General of the Army

Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:44 pm

MarshalJean wrote:Honestly, from a developers/sales point of view, I'm not sure the question, "How many people actually finish super long campaigns?" is the right question. From a sales standpoint, it doesn't matter. The better question for devs is, "How many people want the option (no matter how theoretical it may end up being) to play a really long and complex campaign because such a game has so much promise?" Personally, I think it is a major selling point. A lot of people, I think, will skip a game if they feel like too much of the era/conflict is left out. Even if the part utilized in the game is very historical and well done (as NCP was), the unused portion screams out to a potential buyer, "Yeah, but there's so much you COULD be enjoying!" Psychologically, this is important for a buyer, whether or not he/she ever takes advantage of it. I think NCP would have sold more copies if it had included a grand campaign, albeit a long one that few would have finished. And, at least regarding this genre, we're talking Napoleonics! It's a topic with such a huge fan base, interested in everything from the politics of the era to the details of uniforms, that it would be hard to overkill the project.

Anyway, just my thoughts...

Totally agree with everything above. Context is key and setting the game in the overall context of a monster war that engulfed most of Europe plus Russia and parts of the Middle East is very important. I love games that can go on for months! Context, continuity, complexity... give me a monster Grand Campaign: 1805 to 1815, pretty please... :)

HidekiTojo
Colonel

Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:40 pm

ERISS wrote:I prefer a monster game that I hope to see the end someday,
that the so many normal games I played few turns, only, and never cared about the end.
Example, I love UFO:Aftershock: it's very long, but entertaining (for me, I know it can be boring for others), and I don't care when I'll see the end of my play (however I hope to see it someday). (I finished it only one time)
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?20106-French-UFO-Aftershock

^ This absolutely! A monster campaign is what I crave
TEAW Beta Team

Freddie_2
Conscript

Fri Dec 05, 2014 10:03 am

I was just reading about Donkey Kong and Pacman kill screens :) apparently the majority of people didn't get past a handful of levels in the arcades of the 80s yet today people still go for that kill screen. Which takes hours and hours of non-pausable gameplay. Even though there is nothing there. It's just a kill screen, a design oversight, garbled graphics and a game over message if you're lucky.
So if you want the stuff of legends, make a game loooooong, loooooooooong, loooooooooooooooong! :)

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:12 am

ajarnlance wrote:How many people would like to see a long Grand Campaign for NCP2?? For example 1805 to 1815?? Or 1789 - ?? When you look at the grand scale AGEOD has successfully achieved with EAW (a full European war along with the Middle East and other countries) it encourages me that it might now be possible to expand on the excellent NCP and allow for longer campaigns and a truly grand scale that includes all of Europe and Russia plus Egypt... Seems to me that this would involve:
1) Beefing up diplomacy.

As said, to each his own, but I am not buying a NCP2 with 15 days long turn because it means it isn't an operational wargame, it is a grand strategy games and I am not a big fan of those anymore (I did love EU II in its time). What I want is an NCP2 that delivers a great operational wargame where I can really get the feel of campaigning in the napoleonic times. If it manages to give great diplomacy, recruiting and a grand campaign, super awesome, but the very essential thing is that the operational part of it works.

So far, from PhilThibs' words, it sounds like we will get 7 days turns, and I am glad that's the direction it's taking.

Durk

Fri Dec 12, 2014 2:21 am

Well, I would never say I will not buy a game which is still in the design phase. I buy lots of games at the margin of my desire.

I do think 15 day turns are exactly right for CW2 and EAW. As to whether this is operational or strategic is beyond my ability to define. However, a Napoleonic grand campaign game would best be manageable in a 15 day turn in my estimation.

The diplomacy of a Grand Campaign will be the trick. A few board games almost cracked this nut, but not quite. The advent of 'cards' has provided the solution to this design conundrum, so that Sweden and Spain can be managed within historical constraints. Prussia and Austria present their own challenges which can be partially event based, partially card based, and mostly design based; that is, how long does a defeated country stew and how much militia equals re-engagement.

CW2 met my grand dreams for the ideal American Civil War game. I am in great expectation that the new Napoleonic game will satisfy my deep longing for a complex diplomatic and military game of this era. For instance, if CW2 can add the Far West, the Napoleonic Grand Campaign should allow for the 'War of 1812" and the events in India.

FENRIS
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Dec 12, 2014 8:55 pm

+1
a napoleonic game with a grand campaign needs the ottoman empire and the diplomatic game with France, Russia , Austria and England around the Balkans.
also all the seas Med, black sea etc...
Turkey neutral and the french and allied players playing options.

etc etc, j'en demande peut-être un peu trop...

:w00t:
[color="#FF8C00"][/color]Eylau 1807

"Rendez-vous, général, votre témérité vous a emporté trop loin ; vous êtes dans nos dernières lignes." (un russe)

" Regardez un peu ces figures-là si elles veulent se rendre !" (Lepic)[color="#FF8C00"][/color][I]
[/I]

Lysimaque
Corporal

Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:43 am

Totally agree with op, the lack of a grand campaign in NCP was a big mistake and clearly make this game one of the worst of ageod because campaign was too short and too scripted.

If you improve diplomacy and the possibility to make peace for example , you could make the most awesome wargame about Napoleon ever.

steelwarrior77
Colonel

Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:56 am

I love monster campaigns and always buy them and play them to the end - also PON ;-) So please a grand campaign where we can choose many different sides (not only majors like France, England, Russia, Austria and Prussia but smaller ones like Spain, Italian factions or German minors) and several smaller ones ;-) Everything under 100 turns feels so short for me ;-D

ngomaichi
Conscript

Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:34 am

You were included. Let's hunt down the others.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”