Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

Refresher on Supply System?

Mon Dec 24, 2012 11:55 pm

One of the things that limits my effectiveness when playing NCP and other games in the AGEOD line is an utter ignorance of supply. I always seem to concentrate on the position of the armies without quite realizing as I move them that I need them not to run out of food.

I was about to take on the 1812 Russia scenario when I realized this additional weakness in my already very weak game. How do I build an effective supply chain that will enable me to operate effectively deep in enemy territory? And how do I extend that chain to a distance that would enable, for example, getting to Moscow and staying there?

Ebbingford

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:07 am

Napoleon didn't manage it..... :)
"Umbrellas will not be opened in the presence of the enemy." Duke of Wellington before the Battle of Waterloo, 1815.

"Top hats will not be worn in the Eighth Army" Field-Marshal Viscount Montgomery of Alamein K.G.

Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

Tue Dec 25, 2012 12:18 am

Ebbingford wrote:Napoleon didn't manage it..... :)

I know. The whole idea is to do somewhat better.

I also have trouble finding the enemy in this game, but that's another thread. The reason this came to me is that when I was playing the Austerlitz PBEM I found myself wondering about my supply line when I realized near the end of the game that I had failed to build any depots, partly because I had forgotten how and partly because I'd spent so much time with the armies bulling blindly forward towards Vienna. I didn't quite get there....

Durk

Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:03 am

Basically, supply is produced in cities and depots and travels to the wagons in your armies.

The manual is pretty good at showing.
10.3.2 Transit Distance for Supply Distribution The maximum distance that supply points may travel from a supply source to a requesting unit or structure is (generally-speaking) three (3) map regions. However, this distance is affected (i.e. often reduced) by the type of terrain being transited, inclement weather, and the presence of enemy forces. Important: Supply may only transit through regions in which a player has a minimum of 25% Military Control. (Enemy light cavalry units acting as Raiders automatically block all supply from transiting a region in which they are located.)

Some protection for the chain of depots you will build will help. But make sure you have military control or at least 25% military control.

So my suggestion: build depots at the suggested distance, make sure each of your independent units, armies and corps, have at least one wagon. See if this lets you reach Vienna.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”