Taillebois
General of the Army

Help - I can't win Last Flight of the Eagle

Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:32 pm

I've put settings at what I think is easiest, but I still can't win as Napoleon.

Tips please?

Durk

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:21 am

This is a tough one. Need some luck. My only success came with a forced march and all out attack.
Try default settings. This may help provoke AI to move.
Not impossible, but need to catch Allies on the move.

The AAR of Waterloo by Gen. Montcalm is very instructive. His gracious sharing provides the best insight I have seen in the forum.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:35 am

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, good of Montcalm to post an AAR of a defeat.

I have played about 20 times over the last few days and although I have won on points it was still a stalemate. I've got Brussels a few times but never Brussels and Antwerp.

I tried putting AI on aggressive to see if it would make big mistakes but the outcome was not obviously different.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:22 am

Well had about another ten goes this morning. Got both Brussels and Antwerp but still no victory, only a stalemate but win by points.

Best points was 549, my casualties about 60,000 allies 122,000.

Incidentally I saw there was another AAR on the scenario - one by Jagermeister; it's in French so i just looked at the pictures and guessed.

Anyway, combat fatigue now and I probably ought to do some real work.

Total hours spent in the last three days - about 10. And people still want a grand campaign of a thousand turns.

Durk

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:02 am

This is a victory. Remember in all Ageod games, a win by points is similar to a massive win in other game systems.
The victory system is not really for very short scenarios, but longer ones.

What you have achieved is truly remarkable. Two to one in casualties and all objective cities. A victory in spirit if not in the ledger report.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Thank you Durk that makes me feel much better.

I looked again at the Jagermeister AAR and post 16 seems to say (my poor French) the game lasts 12 turns and ends 1-7 September; but my version is 8 turns ends 1-7 August. Was the scenario changed or updated as the Jagermeister AAR is quite old?

Also I noticed that you can play on beyond the scenario end date - does the AI continue to try for its objectives - I played a couple of extra turns and it seemed to still do certain things - probably more a question for one of the AGEOD staff.

Anyway, thanks again Durk; you made me try harder and feel satisfied with a points victory.

Bernadotte
Lieutenant

Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:54 pm

Taillebois wrote:I looked again at the Jagermeister AAR and post 16 seems to say (my poor French) the game lasts 12 turns and ends 1-7 September; but my version is 8 turns ends 1-7 August. Was the scenario changed or updated as the Jagermeister AAR is quite old?
Go through "the ledger". There is an option in the military options screen "Napoleon is Shown the Eagle" (or something like that) to extend the scenario.

Taillebois wrote:Also I noticed that you can play on beyond the scenario end date - does the AI continue to try for its objectives - I played a couple of extra turns and it seemed to still do certain things - probably more a question for one of the AGEOD staff.
Yes you can. But without additional events and victory conditions.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:37 pm

Thank you Bernadotte. There are several options you can choose (I guess they come up randomly) and one is the 4 turn (1 month extension). I could have gone for dozens more games playing and never thought of looking at that and choosing or not choosing the various options.

I think the original scenario briefing says the French objective is to get Brussels and Antwerp by the end of June. (3 turns !) Do you know if anyone has actually done that? I've tried sending cavalry on a sprint for the objectives but they get slaughtered needless to say.

Thanks again for the ledger tip. I did actually read the manual once, but like most manuals they are bedside reading to help me get to sleep. Though I sometimes hope the information will seep into the brain by osmosis during the night.

Bernadotte
Lieutenant

Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:36 am

Taillebois wrote:Thanks again for the ledger tip. I did actually read the manual once, but like most manuals they are bedside reading to help me get to sleep. Though I sometimes hope the information will seep into the brain by osmosis during the night.
Not in Ageod games :D
The manuals tell you only a little tiny bit of the whole thing (and are most of the time outdated !).
You have to learn it the hard way by "trial and error", read the forum, the Wikis and the AARs (also from RoP and AACW).

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”