oho
Corporal

Some Question of a newbie

Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:16 pm

I'm starting to get into this great game. Some Items are not described in the german manual so please help me. My first ;) questions are:
1. are there more charts / explanations about the game engine somewhere?
2. what do the red areas mean that sometimes appear around it when I click on an advanced army?
3. Do I (and the AI) have a disadvantage when I have several corps in the same area other than this area can't support too many men.
4. what do the green areas mean on the map when I use supply-filter? I noticed that even in the green areas I don't get supply it seems.
5. I have not too many supply trains in the 1806 prussia scenario as the french. Can I use them again after a depot is built and move on with them?
Or will I get some later in the game.
6. What should I do to prevent one unit (from area A west of area B) from moving faster into an area (B) than another unit (in area C east of area B) in order to make a simultanious attack on the enemy in area B.
7. what setting is the best for a challenging (but not cheating) AI?
8. are there any mods that work with the latest patch.
9. I have just downloaded the latest patch and it says 1.07 Release candidate 1. Is this the correct one.
10. Can I somehow make the Icons smaller (or zoom closer) because with several corps in 1 area it is hard to tell where they all will move to.
11. Can I somehow make the border of the areas bigger. They are sometimes hard to see.
12. Are roads important as they are drawn?

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:04 pm

Hey Oho, I guess we will learn during our PBEM game. I'll try to answer from what I know from owning about 4 games made by this engine.

Games I own:

Rise of Prussia
Pride of Nations
Birth of America 2
American Civil War
Napoleon's Campaigns

1. There is a wiki that explains a lot. I do not know the link, but on the American Civil War forums, I think the link is there. The Civil War forum also has a lot of information that can be helpful like explanation of frontage and such.
2. Red Areas I believe mean that you cannot go into those regions based on Zone of Control by enemy forces in the area.
3. Not sure on this one. But if you have several corps in one area, there are frontage rules that I mentioned in #1.
4. Green areas I believe mean you can GET supply, but you don't always get supply if your supply line isn't good or some other units are taking the supply that could have went to that unit.
5. Someone help me on this one. Are supply wagons used up when you make a depot?
6. If I am reading this correctly - you want to attack with a force in region A and a force into region B both attacking into region C. I don't think you can synchronize that, but if they are in the same Army, you can get a march to the sound of the guns? Possibly.
7. I am unsure of an answer for this one.
8. I am unsure on this one.
9. I have 1.07 RC3 (which might mean we will have issues if you don't get that patch).
10. Try using the wheel button on your mouse. That utility is in other games. I am not sure if it works here.
11. I do not know about this.
12. Roads help you move through a region. The amount of days to get in and out are smaller if it has a better road in that region. I am pretty sure on that one.

Anyone else want to correct me is fine. I'm going by limited knowledge (and not a fantastic grasp on the games I own!)

Durk

Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:07 am

Hi guys,

On the issues with uncertain answers:
3. As long as you are carrying supply either intrinsic to the unit or in wagons, no issue with numbers.
5. Supply wagons are used up to construct depots.
6. H Gilmer3 is essentially correct, will not coordinate, so pay attention to march time.
7. This is really a matter of preference and player skill.
8. Yes, see mods in forum, but be aware not all mods are vetted, so before trying save a backup of your game.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”