CSS
Lieutenant

Is there a Grand Campaign?

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:14 pm

I am thinking about buying but do want a whole campaign? :love:

PhilThib

Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:25 pm

Not in this version...the longuest "campaign" scenario is the 1808-1814 Spanish Ulcer scenario :D

CSS
Lieutenant

Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:37 pm

Darn! Not this version??? Does that insinuate a newer version or Gold that will?

PhilThib

Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Who knows...ooops ;)

michaelincol
Corporal

Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:47 am

I was about to buy NC, Philippe, and waited a bit since you wrote this. If you can say, will anything forthcoming be an update or should I hold off a bit if it is more along the lines of a gold re-issue or something? Thanks.

michael

helm123
Private

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:59 am

Michael...I go ahead and pick up NC as it's a fantastic game.

Now about a Grand Campaign...I hoping that Phillipe has played the AH board game War and Peace. I'd give my right arm for a similar PC rendition of this based on the NC design.

PhilThib

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:11 am

Be careful not to lose an arm... ;)

Taillebois
General of the Army

Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:34 am

Oh you are a tease.

Nikel

Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:48 am

Why is AH War and Peace so good? :)

helm123
Private

Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:47 pm

After what Philippe posted I might have to take the day off work.

Why AH War and Peace? Well for me for starters it was simple yet complete in the way it was presented. Umm I hope that makes sense. Covered all of Europe and with multiple scenarios including a grand campaign.

Now a Ageod game of this same scope would be even better since it would most likely incorporate economics for the various countries.

Nikel

Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:30 pm

Thanks for the answer helm123 :)

PhilThib, easy to answer questions,

Any idea on how finally would be NCP2? NCP+Full campaign, new game with PON features? Will be the next after PON? How much time will you support PON and so when will be NCP2 a reality? :D

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:02 pm

Man, NCP2 with a grand campaign.. That I would buy...

Franciscus

Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:35 pm

When can we pre-order ? :wacko: :thumbsup:

helm123
Private

Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:47 pm

Nikel wrote:Thanks for the answer helm123 :)

PhilThib, easy to answer questions,

Any idea on how finally would be NCP2? NCP+Full campaign, new game with PON features? Will be the next after PON? How much time will you support PON and so when will be NCP2 a reality? :D

Nikel, Here's a good place to read some info on War and Peace. There is actually work going on right now to release an updated version of the game through a new publisher.
http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/626/war-and-peace

I even believe someone around here or importance once told me that he had played the game. :)

Nikel

Thu Jun 16, 2011 6:14 pm

Thanks, got the rulebook :)

Is really possible to play 1796 italian campaign in a map that covers all Europe?

caranorn

Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:56 pm

I believe it's a bit early to seriously speculate about NCP-II. This has been discussed a number of times before, and unless this is already in secret development (I'm 99% certain this is not the case) I doubt a new game of that scope could be done before 2-3 years, more likely 5+ years. Unless of course a mod project is underway like SepRus's development of RuS...

Oh, concerning AH's War and Peace. I always found that the campaign didn't really work. To alternative campaign rules were released in an issue of the General. Playing by those rules made the Napoleonic Wars much more realistic...

Some of the inovations seen in PoN (once refined) like Diplomacy and improved Economy (not quite as detailed as in PoN as that would be overkill for a military-strategy game) would indeed go a long way towards making an NCP Grand Campaign a possibility. But that would still involve a lot of research and design work...

Last note, it's likely that PoN will receive official support for a few years at least, unless it's a flop (but I doubt that), or of course Paradox objects to prolonged support à la AACW. But that in and of itself should not mean that no new projects can start parralel after the frst few months (initial patching) after PoN's publication...
Marc aka Caran...

helm123
Private

Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:03 pm

caranorn wrote:I believe it's a bit early to seriously speculate about NCP-II. This has been discussed a number of times before, and unless this is already in secret development (I'm 99% certain this is not the case) I doubt a new game of that scope could be done before 2-3 years, more likely 5+ years. Unless of course a mod project is underway like SepRus's development of RuS...

Oh, concerning AH's War and Peace. I always found that the campaign didn't really work. To alternative campaign rules were released in an issue of the General. Playing by those rules made the Napoleonic Wars much more realistic...

Some of the inovations seen in PoN (once refined) like Diplomacy and improved Economy (not quite as detailed as in PoN as that would be overkill for a military-strategy game) would indeed go a long way towards making an NCP Grand Campaign a possibility. But that would still involve a lot of research and design work...

Last note, it's likely that PoN will receive official support for a few years at least, unless it's a flop (but I doubt that), or of course Paradox objects to prolonged support à la AACW. But that in and of itself should not mean that no new projects can start parralel after the frst few months (initial patching) after PoN's publication...

Your very right about the War and Peace grand campaign having it's short comings. The alternate rules went a long way to improving this.

Sean E
Captain

Mon Jun 27, 2011 7:25 am

So NC-2 is being considered now?

Sign me up!

:)

Prins van Oranje
Corporal

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:42 am

I cant understand the obsession with having a 'Grand Campaign'. Any game that did incorporate such a concept would be in danger of ceasing to be a Napoleonic game and becoming an empire-building game.
Alte Vorwarts!

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 am

prins van oranje wrote:i cant understand the obsession with having a 'grand campaign'. Any game that did incorporate such a concept would be in danger of ceasing to be a napoleonic game and becoming an empire-building game.

+1
What this town needs is a good Renaissance band!
Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org
PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org
AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333
Your Mileage May Vary -- Always!

caranorn

Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:42 pm

Prins van Oranje wrote:I cant understand the obsession with having a 'Grand Campaign'. Any game that did incorporate such a concept would be in danger of ceasing to be a Napoleonic game and becoming an empire-building game.

If designed correcty not necessarily...
Marc aka Caran...

Nikel

Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:03 pm

But it is precisely what Napoleon built, an empire ;)

Agree with Caranorn, but I guess it will be very difficult, enough freedom to be fun, but not too much to allow a credible recreation of napoleonic history (and hypothetical variants).

NCP has many small and short scenarios with not too much possibilities. You cannot build and organize your own army that is another of the main features of Napoleon, in fact he built several armies.

The PW scenario is long, but small in space such as the map is designed, so it ends being boring. It is a pity that there are no PW games available, probably JTS (before sold through HPS) will release several of them, but of course tactical battles, not the full war.

1812 campaign scenario is the more balanced in time and space.

For a map like the one of NCP you need a grand campaign and the possibility of creating armies, so you can build your empire like Napoleon did ;)

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:42 pm

I also will buy such a game! One can only hope. Years go buy ... life ends with a pile of unused computer games? Alas! t

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 am

Nikel wrote:But it is precisely what Napoleon built, an empire ;)

Agree with Caranorn, but I guess it will be very difficult, enough freedom to be fun, but not too much to allow a credible recreation of napoleonic history (and hypothetical variants).

NCP has many small and short scenarios with not too much possibilities. You cannot build and organize your own army that is another of the main features of Napoleon, in fact he built several armies.

For a map like the one of NCP you need a grand campaign and the possibility of creating armies, so you can build your empire like Napoleon did ;)

With an expanded NCP2 map (even more, and smaller, regions!), and the will to design a hybrid game, AGEOD could offer us the best of both worlds: an empire-building strategy game like you (and many others) prefer; and a credible operational war game like I (and a few others?) prefer.

Early MusiChicago - Early Music in Chicago and Beyond - http://earlymusichicago.org

PIKT - Global-View, Site-at-a-Time System and Network Administration - http://pikt.org

AGElint - an AGE debugging toolkit - http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2978333

Nikel

Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:35 am

Empire-building seems to be pejorative in this case, and I a am not sure of what it means :) I just meant that it is what Napoleon did, create an empire. A little quiz, who wrote this? ;)

Au reste, un empire gigantesque, fondé par 10 ans de victoires, n'ayant d'autres liens que la force, ne pouvait durer encore longtemps.

I do not want a sandbag game where everything can happen, is that what you mean with empire-building? For example that you as french can ally with the british to conquest Russia?

Not at all, but indeed could have happened that french and russian join forces vs the turcs as a compensation for the blockade in the russian ports.

I also would like to see operational-strategical games, but of independent campaigns, for example Italy and the PW (and this is not the last time I say it ;) . Even an american like Erik Rutins from matrix games said that the PW was pitifully unexplored territory, what can I say as a spaniard...

Map of Spain included in Foy's book, a map with this detail and at the level of battalion, squadron and battery. This is what I would like to see, but perhaps Ageod engine is not the better for it?

http://bibliotecavirtualmadrid.org/i18n/catalogo_imagenes/download.cmd?posicion=1&path=1000223

berto
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:00 am

By "empire-building strategy game" I mean a game like EU3, or the forthcoming Magna Mundi, which is light on the military, and heavy on the diplomacy/production/trading/spying/...

By "operational war game" I mean a game like NCP, (but hopefully expanded to have more, and smaller, regions) where -- in the scenarios at least -- the emphasis is on maneuvering and fighting, and recruiting/training/reorganizing is downplayed.

If, for example, a new NCP2 were to have a GC with diplomacy etc., I would probably not play the GC; instead play the so-called "battle scenarios", actually single-war or "campaign scenarios".

Just my preference.

We can have our cake and eat it too.

Nikel

Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:15 pm

OK, thanks ;)

fondé par 10 ans de victoires, n'ayant d'autres liens que la force

A napoleonic game has to be a essentially a wargame, Masséna said it :)

But for a full campaign in NCP map you will need some diplomacy and full production of troops.

I do not think it is a good idea to play scenarios in maps extracted from a map of Europe from the Atlantic to Moscow even though you increase the number of regions. Besides PhilThib said that he did not want to do it.

Specific games with their maps for specific campaigns are needed, it is what HPS has done in its own style.

Just IMHO of course ;)

oho
Corporal

Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:38 pm

I would like to prorder too!

H Gilmer3
AGEod Grognard

Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:40 pm

CSS wrote:I am thinking about buying but do want a whole campaign? :love:

There's a 296 turn mega scenario that is almost as good from what I can see.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”