Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

Austerlitz Scenario: Italy

Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 pm

I am undecided on what to do about Italy in the Austerlitz scenario. It seems to me that the French have a poor commander there, and that any move he makes, or even doesn't make (one time I didn't give him any orders at all) results in a defeat at the hands of the Austrians. Gives me the impression that taking Venice is a pipe dream.

I also want to find a way to concentrate on the main action in Bavaria and Austria, and the main function of the Italy campaign would be to keep the Austrians occupied.

I'm currently trying to get my feet wet by playing against the AI, and it's not easy.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Italy Sideshow

Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:03 pm

While Italy may be a sideshow in the 1805 Austerlitz campaign you can still defeat the AI Austrian there. You have to keep your smaller French force united and wait for the AI to split it's forces before engaging in battle there. Venice is more realistic than you think once you've allowed the AI to split forces and give you the opportunity to strike back.

Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

How to preserve the army?

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:41 pm

Omnius wrote:While Italy may be a sideshow in the 1805 Austerlitz campaign you can still defeat the AI Austrian there. You have to keep your smaller French force united and wait for the AI to split it's forces before engaging in battle there. Venice is more realistic than you think once you've allowed the AI to split forces and give you the opportunity to strike back.

What I'm wondering is how to stop the AI from forcing my hand. If I stay put he attacks me in Verona, which is in easy reach from Venice. At least that's what happened last time.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Massena Not the Leader You're Looking For

Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Michael,
Massena isn't the leader you're looking for to command the battle against Charles because he causes cohesion problems. I go for assaulting Milano on the first turn setting my units to move inside the fortress after battle so that the AI can't win the ensuing battle when he arrives. The AI tends to target Massena so moving him back to Verona on turn 1 really messes up the AI's plan.

You need to properly consolidate your forces to get rid of any leadership penalties. You also should relocate a superfluous two star general down to command the second corps you should form in Italy. You might consider sitting inside Milano as the AI can't beat you in an assault. You should move Massena back to Verona while defending Milano. That way he can't negatively impact your corp's cohesion for combat. Sooner or later the AI messes up and splits it's big force and that's when you strike back.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”