Lennie
Civilian

Game not ending when NM-condition meet

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:21 pm

I'm fairly new to this game and this is probably a stupid question, but here it goes. On several occasions I have played games where I've exceded the national morale condition stated for automatic victory in the scenario or pushed the enemy morale below the automatic defeat level. Still I'm not granted my victory, instead the game continues to the regular end. Am I doing something wrong here? Is it some kind of bug. All input will be appreciated.

arsan

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi!
Welcome to the forums!
What you explain is strange :bonk:
Have you processed an extra turn after the moral victory/defeat conditions are archived and no "You won/you lost" message has appeared??
Have in mind that even after the message appears you can continue playing the scenario if you want to. It doesn't end right away. But you should see the message :confused:

Cheers

Hobbes

Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Hi Lennie, I wonder if this is the same problem as WiA where the morale tooltip gives incorrect information. In WiA the tooltip states that the game will end at a certain morale level but in fact this is not the case unless the scenario designer has included an event to make this happen. In AACW a scenario will end automatically if the required morale level is achieved but I think this is the only AGEOD game where this will happen.

In WiA, morale has an effect on the game but will not end it. For that you will have to await the last turn or fulfill all of the objective victory conditions. I'm surprised this tooltip has never been amended as it must cause a lot of confusion.

Cheers, Chris

arsan

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:03 pm

Mmm... i'm not 100% positive (quite some time since i played NCP last time) but i think the NM victory worked OK (at least back then, on patch 1.04x). :confused:
In WIA i have never experienced it as the NM victory seems pretty difficult to get :bonk:
At least on the big campaigns... i have never come close to the required numbers! :blink:
But on some NCP scenarios it was easier to get more decisive results and crush the enemy morale in proper Bonney style! :thumbsup:

Lennie
Civilian

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:04 pm

Yes, I'm aware that you can continue to play after victory, but no victory message. Continue a few turns doesn't help either. The manual states that it should be possible to achieve victory by morale. Isn't this really the case? Quite strange if that's true.

Hobbes

Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:11 pm

This is a post by Pocus on WiA :-

If ACW, you win by sudden death by shattering the enemy morale or rising it above your victory level.

in WIA, you win by sudden death by taking all objectives + x amongst y strategic cities.

Morale in WIA is not a 2nd way to win by sudden death. But it is still very important, as it influences the ability to recover cohesion and fight well.

if you want to provoke a sudden death in WIA, you have one solution: reduce or remove entirely the list of objectives of the side which is to win, and it should win the next turn.

I assume this may also be the case in Napoleon's Campaigns as it is a similar game to WiA?
If so, that tooltip could use some amendment in both games :blink:

Cheers, Chris

Nikel

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:26 pm

It depends on the side and scenario. Examples

Spanish campaign. French side it is disabled. But enabled with the allies

[ATTACH]9470[/ATTACH]

1809, it is enabled for the french side

[ATTACH]9469[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1808.jpg
1809.jpg

arsan

Tue Oct 27, 2009 9:42 pm

Ah! :sherlock: Thanks Nikel! :thumbsup:
So... with sudden death off the scenario must be played to the end.
And with sudden dead on it can end an any time the victory conditions are met (NM levels, control of objectives...)
That's my best guess... :)
Can this be the reason for your problem, Lennie??

Lennie
Civilian

Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:49 pm

That seems to be the answer. Can you change this? Does anyone know why they made it like this?

squarian
Brigadier General

Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:41 pm

Lennie wrote:That seems to be the answer. Can you change this? Does anyone know why they made it like this?

Last time I won WIA (1.04) by taking all strat & objective cites, the game didn't end.

arsan

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:17 am

Lennie wrote:That seems to be the answer. Can you change this? Does anyone know why they made it like this?

Hi!
You can't change it through the options. Surely it can be changed by modding/editing the scenario.
But i have no idea about how difficult it may be :bonk:
I understand, the sudden death on/off is a design decision that tries to better simulate the historical campaign represented.
For example, on the Peninsula Campaign is off, as it was not a kind of "decisive victory" type of war.
In fact the French trashed the Spanish armies up and down the Peninsual for years, and were usually able to take any objective they wanted to, but were not capable of convincing the Spaniards to stop fighting and resisting with the help of the British. :)
This drag out style of war lasted form 1808 to 1814 and was one of the major causes of Napoleon downfall. No sudden death here ;)
Instead, other more "conventional" wars like the Coalition wars against Prussia or Austria ended in a peace agreement after a fast campaign, some big battles and the capture of the enemy capital. So a sudden death on better represent thins.
Cheers!

arsan

Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:23 am

squarian wrote:Last time I won WIA (1.04) by taking all strat & objective cites, the game didn't end.

Hi!

Not sure about teh 1775 campaign, but on the 1756 campaign a "sudden death On" event was intriducedi in 1.04 (i think).
Its not activated on the first turns, but after some years on the campaign (1759??) so the French could won by a "coup de main" before the main British reinforcements arrived (and things became interesting ;) ) but the final part of the scenario didn't dragged once all objectives were taken.
Cheers

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”