kosmoface
Corporal

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:28 pm

Tirailleur wrote:This idea would be only an option for more atmosphere by showing what happens in the battles.
I read the AgeWiki about the combat that is very detailed and I know that there is a detail battle report implemented in ROP (that I own :thumbsup :) . How about to take the existing internal rules and display the combat with animations instead of the circle: a sketch from the battlefield with roughly the terrain and the weather conditions, little blocks (red and blue or better like the battle report ones) for the units – their behaviour is dictated by the rules. Something like you would look at an old battlemap in a history book or you are at the HQ and look on the map where the units as blocks are placed on.

For simplicity you could show the results of the moves and combat every battleturn (1 hour). So you could see directly what is going on, on the battlefield.

O.k., but I think this is a lot of work to do...

Sounds like my idea in a way... even though my wish would be that the player could place the troops themeselves, but it would also be okay if you had a formula where the computer can calculate if a army comes from the back/front/left/right into a region and onto a battleground, because manouvering and the alignment of the soldiers is such an important part of a battle.

I wouldn't have a poblem to let the AI calculate the whole of it, just like right now. We have officers with data and special abilities, let them do everything, I'm just the mastermind in the background - like Napoleon. :siffle: ;)

It would be really great. On the map you can bring together your armies strategically and than you see the tactical combat. It doesn't have to be complicated or great graphics. I just would like to see how it turns out and that rather quick.

I bought "Crown of Glory: EE" the last week. While playing I quickly realized that I don't want to play out every battle in detail (a shame because this is why I bought the game). It's too long and after I thought very long about strategical matters I don't want to get myself into a detailed battle.

I play an AGEOD game foremost because they are brilliant strategy games (the best in my mind) and to play every battle tactically too breaks the gameflow for me, because it is most often tedious micromanaging and as I said takes so much time.

And let's be true, to keep the standed as high as AGEOD keeps it, you'd have to have a tactical battle engine like HISTWAR - and that is too much. At least for me. All I want is quick results, but I want to see more visually what is happening ob the battleground (visual in resembling ho those fights were, doesn't have to be detailed), insted of numbers and green/red bars.

I very much like the detailed battle report of ROP and that you can read how the fighting develops while the fighting is happening, with the short sentences on the screen. If there's a way to visualise it... maybe with simple dots for every soldier, that would be enough for me.

Uhm yes, now that I read my post... pretty much what you said. Only longer and more complicated. ;)

Tirailleur
Private

Tue Aug 17, 2010 9:23 pm

kosmoface wrote:Sounds like my idea in a way... even though my wish would be that the player could place the troops themeselves...

Uhm yes, now that I read my post... pretty much what you said. Only longer and more complicated. ;)

Oh, sorry, I've read your post and find it very interesting - all points, that I totally agree with you. But if it is a double post, it finds easier general approval ;)

If you could place your troops yourself, yes that would be great. And if you could have some easy tactical decisions how your troops should behave (as you said like the ROE rules) - yes thats it. :coeurs:

kosmoface
Corporal

Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 am

Tirailleur wrote:Oh, sorry, I've read your post and find it very interesting - all points, that I totally agree with you. But if it is a double post, it finds easier general approval ;)

If you could place your troops yourself, yes that would be great. And if you could have some easy tactical decisions how your troops should behave (as you said like the ROE rules) - yes thats it. :coeurs:

Exactly. :)

Together with the diplo/politics-module from "Vainglory of Nations" this would be one hell of a Napoleon Game! :coeurs:

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:54 am

PhilThib wrote:Wishes noted :) :cool:

Brilliant... This is a game I know i would buy, even though I am married, on the way to kids, with lots of work and less and less play time, this is the kind of game I would order straight away...

Make it happen Ageod... AACW needs a worthy successor.

HHFD50
Captain

Mon Oct 11, 2010 5:36 pm

Out of curiosity, why was there no grand campaign scenario shipped with the game? I have to be honest, I thought there would be and that was the reason why I bought it. :( The game is very nice though, like RoP on steroids. :w00t:

Rafiki

Mon Oct 11, 2010 7:35 pm

Incorporating a grand campaign would've made for an entirely different scope for the project, way outside what the time and resources allocated would've been able to deliver.

However, with the advent of PoN, there are more building blocks available in the AGE engine for a full Napoleon-era campaign game. Time will have to tell if we will see something like that in the future, though.
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

31KntBurke
Conscript

Guard Units

Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:42 pm

I would like to see a system that Guard units, are either replenished or created by pulling experianced elements from line units and not simply by scratch as most historical games do. :)

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Variable Continental System

Thu Dec 09, 2010 4:56 pm

One thing I'd like to see in NCP 2 for the full campaign is a variable Continental System political feature. One of Napoleon's biggest mistakes was to try to blockade British trade with continental Europe. Not only did that deny France many important trade goods but it caused friction with his allies and those conquered countries who were forced to adopt this trade embargo against perfidious Albion.

Blocking trade with England ought to be an option we can invoke or not or include as some country's surrender terms. Political relations would be impacted by the decision to blockade or not. Considering the blockade it's no wonder the nation of shopkeepers was constantly miffed at France.

Also trading territories would be a nice political touch. It would be fun to be able to do as Napoleon did in 1806 offering Hanover to both Prussia and England. Certainly guaranteed that Prussia would be enraged and declare war on France.

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

A Tactical Flair

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:23 pm

kosmoface,
Like you I enjoy playing the strategic level of the AGEOD games yet would like a tad more tactical flavor. I wouldn't want to waste time with some kind of tactical game engine, every strategic game that had one of those had a truly poor tactical game system.

I really liked the tactical flavor of Avalon Hill's old strategic Napoleonic game which introduced tactical cards for offense and defense. Options like Enfilade, Refuse the right or left, and Enveloping attacks among others would be a wonderful touch if we could have that option to input the tactic at the beginning of a battle. Leader ability, nationality and rank could be used to limit what tactical options a leader leading a battle could choose from, the higher the attack or defense values the more tactical options that leader could choose from.

I always enjoyed the rock-paper-scissors choice of battle tactics and how they affected the outcome of a battle. This would be far simpler than creating a whole new tactical battle subprogram and would be a quick choice that won't slow down the flow of the strategic level of the game. :D

Omnius
Lieutenant Colonel

Better Replacement System

Thu Dec 09, 2010 5:33 pm

One thing I don't like in BoA and NCP is how the program determines which units get whole new elements. I was playing the 1805 scenario as the Austrians and was disappointed that my two artillery replacements went to beef up some out of the way fortress artillery units. I hated seeing valuable artillery elements going to coastal guns in BoA when field artillery units really needed them more.

One thing that could alleviate this annoying tendency is to ensure that fortress/coastal artillery are set up as complete units, not as incomplete units able to soak up another artillery element. A pity that we can't stop which units get whole replacement elements so we could block that frustrating waste of good artillery replacement elements.

One thing that would be nice is a filter for identifying which units have missing elements, that would be helpful to know which units we might want to rest in a depot to absorb a replacement element. :cool:

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:49 pm

haven't read this thread for a while. I am sure the staff is busy with PON and RUS and all, but I would really love to see a NCP2 one day.

Actually since AACW I haven't found a wargame that truely excited me.. WITP or WITE are too big, too long, too many troops over too many turns and open the way too much to "optimizator" tendencies in players, which is something I dislike, I don't want to play with 5 excel spreadsheets. Other games are just too RTS blended down type of games, the last Paradox productions didn't seduce me (owning Victoria I but having refused out of principle to buy the Revolutions extension that was actually a patch, I didn't buy Victoria II).

AAVW and EUII from Paradox are still the games that I played most over the last 10 years.

I really hope a form of NCPII gets done, one day.. I now find myself hoping that "the Drawing of the Swords" tactical game from Matrix will be good and soon, because I am suffering from quality wargame withdrawal symptoms..

Michael Hopcroft
Sergeant

Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:14 am

One of the appeals of NCP to me is that, while it is a very deep game, it isn't totally overwhelming if you are not willing to dedicate an hour of the day to planning and executing each move. I find in playing AACW that I have a harder time planning my actions than I do in NCP.

If you're going to do the Grand Campaign, keep the diplomatic and economic engines simple and basic. Put all the complexity behind the curtain where the player only has to deal with it in the most general terms.

ironbmike
Civilian

Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:33 am

I've just started getting into this game, and I would love an updated sequel. So far, I wouldn't mind not having a grand campaign. But I would like to see the individual campaigns be longer, and I definitely want to play 1813 in Germany.

But the main thing for me is a more detailed, scaled map with more provinces. This would really allow for maneuvering before the battle, and then a system to include flank attacks would do wonders. Right now the game doesn't really let you manage that aspect; we can't really pull off what Napoleon did in 1806 realistically.

I understand that mapmaking is very time and effort intensive, but I really feel like this would be the number one improvement for the game.

One day (and I can dream :P), I want to have a wargame on the real scale of Earth, like Google Earth where I can just zoom in and out wherever I want to move my troops around. I'm surprised this hasn't been done already by somebody with the satellite technology we have out there.

But I digress. A more realistic map scale with extensive road networks is what I really want! Or just a sequel in general :)

SAS
Corporal

Mon Aug 22, 2011 1:09 am

with the success of PON is the possibility of a NC 2 more of a reality?
I'm "SAS" from the Paradox Interactive Forum. :)

Templer
General

Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:01 am

I really can not accurately express my wishes. :(

So far, I love the map of Napoleon's campaigns.
For me the most beautiful visual map of the AGEOD games (I own AACW, NCP and ROP).
However, the regions on the map should be much larger.
It is generally still too tight and tough to keep the overview. :(

ROP is for me the most enjoyable gaming system (I note my PC system is no longer the latest and so the demos of RUS and PON run not satisfactory smooth) of AGEOD games.
I wanted the map of Napoleon's campaigns and the game system and the features of ROP. :)

Furthermore I would like too see, even if it is historically completely inaccurate, a sandbox mode.
Greetings
Templer

freeboy
Lieutenant

Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:17 pm

Well, I am new to ncp, but not ageod engine..
havingalso purchaed rop, usingthenewer combat reporting would add something.
I would simplify the accusition of troops...ala rus...
adding year..instead of a marathone 500 turn game... how about 2 turns/month? that and then a national overview...
economic/build model.... that is simple.... not pride...a fine game but a little bit much on the details

HHFD50
Captain

Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:16 am

My only question to the developers is why are the NC map and graphic models (graphics in general) far superior to ROP-a game that was released 3 years later? Shouldn't it be the other way around? :confused:

Nikel

Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:51 pm

The graphics were created by different artists.

You consider NCP graphics are better than ROP's, but others think the contrary (specially the map), so... ;)

PhilThib

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:36 am

The usual "colors and taste" debate... can't be solved ;)

FYI, on a future project, both artists will be "blending" their talents...so both of you should be pleased ;) :D

Nikel

Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:51 am

That sounds like that NCP2 will have a new map?

I have too admit that prefer Gilles Pfeiffer maps but Cedric Hanotte? units and portraits :D

Philippe
AGEod Veteran

Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:23 pm

I really hope it has a new map.

One of the reasons I don't even bother trying to play this game is because of infuriating departures from geographical reality. Like Leipzig sitting next to the Elbe rather than the Elster, and not being a stragtegic intersection of roads leading back to Luetzen and eventually Erfurt. Physical features are in the wrong place, and the late 18th century/early 19th century road grid doesn't seem to have been analyzed very carefully. Since maneuvering around physical features on the road grid is what Napoleonic operational strategy was all about, no amount of good music or pretty uniforms can make up for this. Rise of Prussia also suffers from this problem, though to a lesser extent (and I haven't bought it for that reason -- several key Prussian cities are simply in the wrong place).

HHFD50
Captain

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:51 pm

"...no amount of good music or pretty uniforms can make up for this"

Yes it can. :) The graphics and music in this game are simply great! RoP is NOT bad either, but NC is far superior. Some people just like the "look" of a game. Besides, NC IS GOOD, regardless of what little problems it suffers from here and there. It is a far cry from the board games we have all played for the 40 some years leading up to recently.

HHFD50
Captain

Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:53 pm

PhilThib wrote:The usual "colors and taste" debate... can't be solved ;)

FYI, on a future project, both artists will be "blending" their talents...so both of you should be pleased ;) :D

Sounds fair :thumbsup:

nadia911
Corporal

Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:44 pm

Jajajajajajajajaja

Napoleon's Campaigns 2 Wish List???????

Who said Real Time Strategy???????????

vonRocko
Colonel

Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:22 pm

What a wasted thread this was!

PhilThib

Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:31 am

Nope. The ideas and suggestions have been noted. What can be implemented inside NCP2 will be there... :thumbsup:

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”