Adlertag

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:34 pm

And with such small "bases", you can't argue you don't see the map below...
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Rafiki

Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:57 pm

My only problem with the pins in the example above is that they seem to make the unit itself be located in the neighboring province, making it less intuitive where they actually are. With the AACW-bases, I've never been in doubt.

OTOH, it's a very limited screenshot, so I won't be passing judgement before seeing the finished game :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Henry D.

Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:16 pm

I, on the contrary, with both BoA und AACW sometimes have a problem with figuring out where me units are actually located without klicking and examining them directly, which can be quite a hassle in smaller regions, if they are somewhat crowded.

With the new style it might actually be much easier to, aaaah, pinpoint (:sourcil :) their location on first glance...

Regards, Henry
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Spharv2

Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:03 pm

Rafiki wrote:My only problem with the pins in the example above is that they seem to make the unit itself be located in the neighboring province, making it less intuitive where they actually are. With the AACW-bases, I've never been in doubt.

OTOH, it's a very limited screenshot, so I won't be passing judgement before seeing the finished game :)

I think you're mistaking the farmland graphic for the regions. The region borders can be seen at the top of that picture and aren't as regular as the other lines.

Hell Patrol
Lieutenant

Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:06 pm

Pocus wrote:The map is rather gorgeous also. I'm sure you will appreciate it.
:coeurs: Yes it is, beautiful! I am looking forward to this title :nuts: .

Duc_d_Heilsberg
Lieutenant

Encouragements

Sun Sep 02, 2007 11:47 pm

Juste un mot pour féliciter l'équipe qui travaille sur ce futur beau jeu.
La carte semble notamment réussie (on dirait une vue satellite ! :coeurs: ).

Attention toutefois à veiller à ce que les délimitations des zones soient évidentes.
Pour le reste, je dois approfondir ma pratique de AACW avant de proposer/critiquer les choix de conception.

En tout cas, il est clair que la période 1er empire est beaucoup plus vaste et variée donc sûrement plus compliquée à simuler que la Guerre de Sécession.
Sans doute est-ce parce que je suis français, mais la période révolution/Empire est ma préférée et j'attends avec impatience un jeu enfin à la hauteur sur ses aspects stratégiques/opérationnels.

Bravo pour votre travail prometteur !

And in English :
Congratulations, I'm anxious to see the next game elements !!
I'm convincted that it would be a great game, though I'm afraid it will need some patches to be completely "operational" (can't find a better word for the moment, maybe I'll correct this later).
Good job, guys. Just continue to surprise us.

PhilThib

Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:05 am

Si l'empire marche...la révolution suivra (on croirait presque un slogan 'marxiste' :niark: ) !

richfed

Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:40 am

New game; new style. Looks good!
[color="DarkRed"][SIZE="2"][font="Book Antiqua"]"We've caught them napping!"[/font][/size][/color]

Adlertag

Mon Sep 03, 2007 3:32 pm

PhilThib wrote:Si l'empire marche...la révolution suivra (on croirait presque un slogan 'marxiste' :niark: ) !

Ouais , et on pourrait croire aussi à t'entendre que ce sera sur la révolution...Russe. :niark:
Mais après tout, pourquoi pas.

PhilThib

Mon Sep 03, 2007 4:04 pm

... pourquoi pas en effet...il y a bien des joueurs russes qui la demandent :sourcil:

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:16 am

I'm not so sure I like the map. I was quite pleased with the BOA map. It had a real style to it. This more "realistic" map is fine, but it just doesn't do much for me as collector. I know it sounds a bit daft, but I do feel as if I'm collecting computer games and the artistic aspect of the game is important to me.

I'm sure it will be a great game in terms or support and AI. I've got no problems there, I just think I've seen this sort of map too many times with other grand strategy games of lesser cerebral qualities.

rwenstrup
Sergeant

Agree...BOA map set the mood well

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:26 pm

Agree...BOA map set the mood well...

There are two things about the Birth of America I really like...the map sets the mood well...and the play is focused upon military strategy.

It's clean, direct, and a lot of fun. I play is alot because I can set up and immediately start playing...

Adlertag

Sat Sep 08, 2007 1:33 pm

rwenstrup wrote:It's clean, direct, and a lot of fun. I play is alot because I can set up and immediately start playing...

Exactly what you'll find also in Napoleon's Campaigns...with another mood :)

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:42 pm

The "mood" of the map seems much more mainstream now. The artistic touches to the BOA map made it stand out from the crowd.

I guess the creation of a BOA-like map variant would take a great deal of time and dedication. I remain hopeful.

Sol Invictus

Sat Sep 08, 2007 10:13 pm

I personally wouldn't like the same "rough" BOA map in a game about the Napoleonic Wars. I think the period demands a more refined artistic look. It must be hell for these guys trying to please all tastes. :p leure:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"The fruit of too much liberty is slavery", Cicero

PBBoeye
General

Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:38 am

I like the pins, and I think I'll enjoy the map. I want some variance. However, there is one thing that might make the map more enjoyable to a lot of players, and that is the ability to change the tones of the colors. For me, that green is way too cosmic - too intense. I'd like to mute it down a bit towards a brownish-green. Other players might want to set their own color values. That was a big thing in some of Paradox's games, and a good idea, I think.

That could possibly be accomplished with color value files. However, if they've gone the route of the two previous games and have individual region graphic files, then that whole idea is shot.

Adlertag

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:01 am

PBBoeye wrote:the colors. For me, that green is way too cosmic - too intense. I'd like to mute it down a bit towards a brownish-green. .

Yes, green color could be adjusted a bit less intense. And maybe also the lighting of the map needs a small correction (reduce shades because currently Sun is at West like an end of the day ).
But time is running...

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:18 am

The BOA map is almost a work of art, as it seems to me as if each region has been hand crafted.

I wonder if a close approximation could be made using a graphics conversion package? I just don't see anyone but the most hardcore modder sitting down to paint a new map for us. Then again, this particular community is made up of quite a few hardcore grognards, so it may happen.

FinnN
Conscript

Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:32 am

I prefer the old style map too, though the portraits and unit models look great. I think it's the neon colours and embossed effects that I don't like, they make it look like a crude computer drawing IMHO. The old-style graphics looked a lot cleaner and more 'serious' without being too minimal (which is appropriate for this sort of game).

Have fun
Finn

Beren
Captain

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:13 pm

Should we begin a poll? :niark:
"... tell the Emperor that I am facing Russians.
If they had been Prussians, I'd have taken the
position long ago."
- Marshal Ney, 1813

Dunhill_BKK
Sergeant

Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:39 am

I think this question may have been asked in part in one of the multi-question polls earlier.

I know many of us like the BOA map style, and I guess I'm really fishing around for a mod to be done, as I'm sure the map has been settled already.

saintsup
Captain

Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:15 am

FinnN wrote:I prefer the old style map too, though the portraits and unit models look great. I think it's the neon colours and embossed effects that I don't like, they make it look like a crude computer drawing IMHO.

Same opinion here. I especially liked the small drawings in each region of BOA.

Tarokaja
Colonel

Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:34 am

PhilThib wrote:Si l'empire marche...la révolution suivra (on croirait presque un slogan 'marxiste' :niark: ) !

Moi j'aimerais bien un petit supplément sur la Vendée, avec guillotine pour les généraux malchanceux :nuts:

Yoroshiku

Pocus

Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:46 am

Faudrait un Programme 500 pour des sujets tels que ceux ci, ou alors ca risque d'être le jeu fait pour Tarokaja et ses 10 amis :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Adlertag

Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:32 pm

Peut-etre que Tarokaja pensait à un scénar "What if" pour NCP....Mais ce n'est sûrement pas le scénar. prioritaire à l'heure actuelle.

Sheytan
Lieutenant

Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:28 am

I think it looks great. Keep up the excellent work. I will be looking foreward to this game.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Happy birthday Sheytan! :cwboy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

pailleterie
Captain

Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:13 pm

No more screenshots or news?, and two more questions is spanish campaign 1 week/turn and what is about the campaign russie 1813-14?
And thanks for make so good games.

PhilThib

Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:25 pm

More screens shall appear soon :sourcil:

Yes, the Spanish campaign will be very LONG (48 turns per year, 6 years !!).

The Russian campaign is a typo on the website, sorry (it's 1812-1813)

pailleterie
Captain

Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:27 pm

merci, thank you very mach. Excelent news about spanish campaign for me.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”