Paul Roberts

Small Napoleonic Divisions

Wed May 21, 2008 1:21 am

Hi all,

This is a question regarding the combat engine, born of the fact that I play both AACW and NCP.

I've noticed that most of the divisions in NCP are just seven or eight elements at most, usually consisting of just four or five infantry and an artillery element. I can't help comparing this to my divisions in AACW, where the usual practice (mine and the AI's, as far as I can tell) is to pack divisions closer to the maximum limit of eighteen. I'm wondering if there is any advantage to either method.

Pocus (or someone else who knows), could you explain how the size of a division affects the combat logics? Is there any reason to favor larger or smaller divisions?

Pocus

Wed May 21, 2008 10:44 am

Most of the time it is better to have big divisions (units), as when they are targetted, they can rotate better their weakened elements.
But if you have too few units, compared to the opponent, you can lose some opportunities. For example your big bad division target a lone cossack and destroy it easily... with perhaps 1/4 of its needed strength. The remaining elements will sit iddle for the rest of the round though... and this is a drawback!

Perhaps the max division size should be smaller in NCP, this would be more historical.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Paul Roberts

Wed May 21, 2008 9:12 pm

Pocus wrote:Perhaps the max division size should be smaller in NCP, this would be more historical.

How small, do you think?

Pocus

Thu May 22, 2008 8:11 am

Paul Roberts wrote:How small, do you think?

Given the OOB, most of the French divisions do not have more than 8-10 elements. Problem is that each faction could have a different number. Some Rhine allies had divisions with 18 elements, even if whose were batallions...

Ideally, we would want to have a size for each faction.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Adlertag

Thu May 22, 2008 8:24 pm

In France, after the 1808 reform, each regiment is composed by 4 war battalions and 1 "depot" battalion , for a total of 3970 men and 108 officers (in theory).
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”