diraska
Civilian

Cavalry Losses

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:34 pm

Quick question/observation: I recently played the 1815 campaign, and every time I fought a battle, my cavalry would suffer extreme casualties. In numerical value, cavalry would suffer, usually, around 1/4 to 1/2 of their total number. Is this normal?? In addition, when the game showed which units were completely destroyed, it was filled with cavalry. The majority of all units destroyed were cavalry.

In one battle against the British and Prussian forces, I won the battle and lost around 22,000 men, and around 10,000 horses. It would appear that half of all my losses was in cavalry. Is this accurate? And why is this happening?

jastaV
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:44 am

diraska wrote:Quick question/observation: I recently played the 1815 campaign, and every time I fought a battle, my cavalry would suffer extreme casualties. In numerical value, cavalry would suffer, usually, around 1/4 to 1/2 of their total number. Is this normal?? In addition, when the game showed which units were completely destroyed, it was filled with cavalry. The majority of all units destroyed were cavalry.

In one battle against the British and Prussian forces, I won the battle and lost around 22,000 men, and around 10,000 horses. It would appear that half of all my losses was in cavalry. Is this accurate? And why is this happening?

Nice observation!
Cavalry in very vulnerable to combat and attrition losses.
Is that historically accurate?
PROBABLY NOT!
Adjusting that will require testing and mods to game engine codes, I never tried before!
[color="RoyalBlue"]In the meanwhile, and as a way to promote a possible fix I suggest you to collect and post detailed data from after combat reports evidencing the cavalry losses..... guess posting some combat report pictures could help![/color]
Ney: The army will not move!
Napoleon: The army will obey me!
Ney: The army will obey to its Generals’ orders!

[SIZE="1"]Fontainebleau, April 1814[/size]

Nikel

Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:41 pm

diraska wrote:Quick question/observation: I recently played the 1815 campaign, and every time I fought a battle, my cavalry would suffer extreme casualties. In numerical value, cavalry would suffer, usually, around 1/4 to 1/2 of their total number. Is this normal?? In addition, when the game showed which units were completely destroyed, it was filled with cavalry. The majority of all units destroyed were cavalry.

What version of the game are you using? In the changelog there are at least 2 items about this topic:

Patch 1.04

- Combat signature variable added. Cavalry should be less targeted before closing for the charge.

Patch 1.03b

- cavalry should take less losses during the fire phases of a battle.

FM WarB
Colonel

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:52 pm

I picture cavalry charging infantry squares and horses starving in Russia and Spain. Maybe this is something the game gets Right.

Emeg
Private

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:47 pm

FM WarB wrote:I picture cavalry charging infantry squares and horses starving in Russia and Spain. Maybe this is something the game gets Right.

A cavalry charge into infantry squares is a very bloody experience for the cavalry squadrons. The question for me is, does the AI :dada: sub commander know this also ?

Pocus

Mon Nov 24, 2008 2:11 pm

Hi Diraska,

Do you have the game with the battle still on your HD? Cavalry tweaks were done several time already, but I can take a look. For the problem to be 'valid', I assume you are playing with the latest patch?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

diraska
Civilian

A Reply

Tue Nov 25, 2008 6:32 am

I am using the latest version. When I start the game, it shows that I am running 1.05a

How would I post a picture of my losses to this post?

How do find the combat reports out of game?

Pocus

Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:15 am

Pictures can only get me started, what I will need to check the battle is the saved game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Return to “Napoleon's Campaigns”