marecone

Few ideas

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:01 pm

Can this be done by moding?

Thanks for you answer in advance

I still hope for OOB but now I get few other wishes that are perhaps easier to implement and would improve this game even further.

1. Battle history
List of all battles with outcomes, casulties and leaders.

2. In game generals history
When you click on general name you get info on:
- when and where he was assigned in the game like: assigned 3rd US divison commander on July 5th, 1861...
- how he performed in battles: won, lost, performed good or bad...

First wish should be implemented as it was a major part of ACW history to track all battles, casulties and such. Plus players could research and see where and when they did good or bad. It would also give players a chance to compare with each other or with real history.

Second wish would probably make players more "attached" to generals. Like, having their favorite and such. Perhaps based on those new features adding something like nation hero ability or even iron cross.

Just my two cents.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Pocus

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:07 pm

Adding new windows is not really possible. Very few games allow that, and the ones who do are high budget like Civilization IV (which is relying on the excellent but far too costly for us ScaleForm library).

Point me on a 'niche' game like our which has interface and windows which can be added by the user, this would be interesting to talk to the developer about this possibility.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

marecone

Sun Nov 11, 2007 12:12 pm

But perhaps some of this features could be added in biography windows in the game. Not sure
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Guru80
Colonel

Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:59 pm

Pocus wrote:Adding new windows is not really possible. Very few games allow that, and the ones who do are high budget like Civilization IV (which is relying on the excellent but far too costly for us ScaleForm library).

Point me on a 'niche' game like our which has interface and windows which can be added by the user, this would be interesting to talk to the developer about this possibility.

There is.......
And......
Oh, there is also.......

Yeah, I got nothing :niark:

How about you just release the whole SDK and let us have fun :sourcil:

Pocus

Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:27 am

By SDK you mean a utility where you just click on buttons and choose values in drop box so to define an interface? :) Don't dream, this is in the scope of costly SDK like ScaleForm, but for small developers interface creation is done by hand, with many things put into the code, custom to a game.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Franciscus

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:39 am

How about Take Command 2nd Manassas ? :coeurs:

it is certainly a niche game, but the interface is moddable - check for instance the Community Mod Pack, they have rearranged the order buttons, and even added a few ones(as a matter of fact you should check all modding done around this gem, as they are deveolping new maps, scenarios, even a Nappy variation :bonk: )- and the team Adam and Norb) released the SDK for this game long time ago.
(Now, I must tell you that I understand nothing about modding and do not even know what is a SDK... :nuts: )

Guru80
Colonel

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:33 pm

Pocus wrote:By SDK you mean a utility where you just click on buttons and choose values in drop box so to define an interface? :) Don't dream, this is in the scope of costly SDK like ScaleForm, but for small developers interface creation is done by hand, with many things put into the code, custom to a game.

I was referring to your source code :nuts: There has to be some sort of engine that you guys use that wraps all the code so you don't have to do the same thing over and over....release that, lol (Yeah, I know...dream on)

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”