Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Modding experience gain

Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:38 am

I tested modding the ProgRate factor for units in the Models file.

My understanding is that ProgRate is the percentage chance of units gaining experience during battle.

I modded the ProgRate by changing infantry from 5% to 50% as the percentage chance of gaining experience for infantry. I then ran through a number of large battles using the Shiloh scenario. My ProgRate change did not have an impact on experience gain. Out of several corps in several battles, perhaps 2 or 3 units would gain experience-a very small number. I confirmed that the ProgRate change was in place by examining a number of model files.

Am I misunderstanding the ProgRate concept? With 50% ProgRate, shouldn't fairly large numbers of units gain experience after major battles? Is there a scenario specific ProgRate that needs to be adjusted as well?

Obviously battle experience is working as some units do gain experience. Although the number is extremely small. However increasing the ProgRate to extreme values does not seem to have an impact on the number of units gaining battle experience.

Any ideas?

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:21 am

Ok, I am still trying to figure out prograte. I assumed it was just broken but then I found this on the WIKI.

ProgRate

The number of xp time (current level +1) that you need to get the next level

-1 = no progression possible

I assume "number of xp time" means x number of times that a unit performs an action meeting the experience gain requirement.

I originally assumed those prograte numbers were percentages. Apparently I was wrong and increasing the prograte actually makes it less likely that a unit will gain experience.

Now I am trying to see how that corresponds to the actual prog rates. The prograte for Infantry is typically 10. Artillery is 20 and cavalry is 5.

So if I understand the wiki correctly, an infantry unit must perform 10 x(current level+1). So if the unit is at level 0 experience, it must perform 10 actions meeting the experience gain requirement before it gains one level of experience. If at level 1, it must perform 20 actions before gaining level 2, etc.

Before I start changing large numbers of models, am I understanding this prograte process correctly?

BTW, what exactly defines an action which meets the requirement for experience gain within ACW?

Pocus

Wed Nov 14, 2007 8:44 am

except for the 1 xp = 1 action part, the rest is now correct.

xp = experience point, awarded by being in battle, in long battles, killing an enemy. It depends of the nature of action. Being engaged into a battle has a y% chance of gaining 1 xp, but killing an enemy element is worth several, depending of the VP value.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Thu Nov 15, 2007 4:31 am

Pocus wrote:except for the 1 xp = 1 action part, the rest is now correct.

xp = experience point, awarded by being in battle, in long battles, killing an enemy. It depends of the nature of action. Being engaged into a battle has a y% chance of gaining 1 xp, but killing an enemy element is worth several, depending of the VP value.

Thanks. I worked with it tonight and have the results I was looking for. :)

Return to “Modding AGE engine games”